Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #1,636 of 12,011
...not with my unit :confused: I listen lot of very complex tracks (prog rock) and it is marvelous!

just by a littleee bit brother..

btw I finally posted my long review on Kanas Pros here https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-kanas-pro.23385/
with comparison to EX1000 also

dynamic ears 004 (7239).jpg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #1,637 of 12,011
Can someone help me with a good pair of eartips for the Kansas Pro? I still haven't found something that sits really tight and on the Shure KSE1200 I noticed how dramatic consequences for the sound a difference between a good seal and a perfect seal actually has. So far i tried the Kansas Pro stock tips, comply tips and Symbio tips which are my favourite so far but still not ideal. I'd love to see the yellow Shure foam tips made for the size of the Kansas Pro... if anybody knows something similar pls let me now.
I like the Final E and the New Bee tips with my Kanas Pros.

Mar 18, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #1,638 of 12,011
Mar 18, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #1,640 of 12,011
Best and realistic comparison between EX1000 and KPE for this overrated Inear. Still one of the best Chifi in this price segment, but definitely not TOTL.
First of all I don`t agree about KPE being overrated. It is hyped and it is good kind of hype, for reason. Overly hyped? No. Giant-killer? No. It just sits in certain price bracket where competition is not so fierce and You get more for the money than price suggests (look at against what ppl compare them - much pricier units).

Secondly, what is TOTL? There is NO general sound signature TOTL IEM for EVERYONE. There is though, TOTL IEMs regarding price - which I don`t even imagine paying for.
For me, with my gear, my hearing, my perception of sound, tips choice, music preferences etc - KPE IS my PERSONAL TOTL IEM.
So, You can not say that one IEM can`t definitely be TOTL! It is VERY subjective judgement that depends on MANY factors.

just by a littleee bit brother...
btw I finally posted my long review on Kanas Pros here https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-kanas-pro.23385/
With my setup and ears, I haven`t yet heard recording where KPE gets congested. Though, maybe with stock nozzle grills it might happen as I use custom grills for longer time by now.

Btw, will correct You -
Diaphragm material: DLC diamond carbon
- it`s actually polyetheretherketone with DLC (diamond-Like Carbon coating).

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #1,641 of 12,011
First of all I don`t agree about KPE being overrated. It is hyped and it is good kind of hype, for reason. Overly hyped? No. Giant-killer? No. It just sits in certain price bracket where competition is not so fierce and You get more for the money than price suggests (look at against what ppl compare them - much pricier units).

Secondly, what is TOTL? There is NO general sound signature TOTL IEM for EVERYONE. There is though, TOTL IEMs regarding price - which I don`t even imagine paying for.
For me, with my gear, my hearing, my perception of sound, tips choice, music preferences etc - KPE IS my PERSONAL TOTL IEM.
So, You can not say that one IEM can`t definitely be TOTL! It is VERY subjective judgement that depends on MANY factors.

With my setup and ears, I haven`t yet heard recording where KPE gets congested. Though, maybe with stock nozzle grills it might happen as I use custom grills for longer time by now.

Btw, will correct You - - it`s actually polyetheretherketone with DLC (diamond-Like Carbon coating).

Mostly people hyping the KPE have only cheap Chi-fi in there inventory and than are too euphoric glorifying this stuff.
TOTL means Top of the Line - maybe KPE is ones personal TOTL IEM, but not in general.
People who have heard and owned a lot of stuff in different price brackets often get a better feeling of sound quality.
It doesn't mean automatically that more expensive stuff is always better, but in the price segment over EUR 1k you often get the last percentage of audio quality.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #1,642 of 12,011
Mostly people hyping the KPE have only cheap Chi-fi in there inventory and than are too euphoric glorifying this stuff.
TOTL means Top of the Line - maybe KPE is ones personal TOTL IEM, but not in general.
People who have heard and owned a lot of stuff in different price brackets often get a better feeling of sound quality.
It doesn't mean automatically that more expensive stuff is always better, but in the price segment over EUR 1k you often get the last percentage of audio quality.

...or do you just get the bum end of the IEM manufacturer's marketing expenses and profit margin? :wink:

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #1,643 of 12,011
...xxx is ones personal TOTL IEM, but not in general.
There IS NO GENERAL TOTL IEM, regardless the price. Fit it in Your head! :wink:
It`s like You totally skipped my posting part about different factors what make up TOTL IEM (personal or not).

Btw, I know very well what TOTL means - it was rhetorical question to everybody for thinking not asking what TOTL letters mean.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #1,644 of 12,011

I think this is a fair point - There are certain qualities that are not easy to explain that TOTL gives. Its called TOTL because 'they' [should] give you the 'best' possible in the realms of seperation, layering, details etc etc But I think that fundamentally TOTL should give you a profoundly realistic to life sound with everything in the mix...so each drum in a drum set should sound exactly how each drum sounds in life, acoustic instruments should give you everything even to the degree of hearing how the sound is reverberating the wood....You get my point ! TOTL should sound as good as or better than the experience of when you yourself play an instrument. They should give you the feeling that live sound gives you
I could go on, but until you have heard a real TOTL sound be it a headphone, speaker, recording etc etc its impossible to fully actualize what this means.
Having said that - Ive been listening to Moondrop Crescent's a bit this morning (they are burning in) and have been blown away by the amazing 'natural-nous' and superb balance of sound.
Pretty much as happy with these $25 as with $600 IEM's
Also as @ozziecook mentions - there are a fair number of headphone companies out there who are blatantly ripping people off price wise and I agree with him that the Chinese are catching up rapidly in terms of quality of make and tuning and especially offering their IEM's at a fair price

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #1,645 of 12,011
I think this is a fair point - There are certain qualities that are not easy to explain that TOTL gives. Its called TOTL because 'they' [should] give you the 'best' possible in the realms of seperation, layering, details etc etc But I think that fundamentally TOTL should give you a profoundly realistic to life sound with everything in the mix...so each drum in a drum set should sound exactly how each drum sounds in life, acoustic instruments should give you everything even to the degree of hearing how the sound is reverberating the wood....You get my point ! TOTL should sound as good as or better than the experience of when you yourself play an instrument. They should give you the feeling that live sound gives you
I could go on, but until you have heard a real TOTL sound be it a headphone, speaker, recording etc etc its impossible to fully actualize what this means.
Having said that - Ive been listening to Moondrop Crescent's a bit this morning (they are burning in) and have been blown away by the amazing 'natural-nous' and superb balance of sound.
Pretty much as happy with these $25 as with $600 IEM's
Also as @ozziecook mentions - there are a fair number of headphone companies out there who are blatantly ripping people off price wise and I agree with him that the Chinese are catching up rapidly in terms of quality of make and tuning and especially offering their IEM's at a fair price
Nice experience with the crescent! How would you compare it with the kpe?

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #1,646 of 12,011
Nice experience with the crescent! How would you compare it with the kpe?

Buy it ! end off
Ask @ozziecook - he has a lot more experience with it than me. I sold mine to a needy friend and have just received my 2nd pair
but.... maybe more body, slightly smoother over all. The KP's have quite a 'silver/diamond' type of sound. The Cresent has more of a 'copper/gold' sound signature :)

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #1,647 of 12,011
...or do you just get the bum end of the IEM manufacturer's marketing expenses and profit margin? :wink:

I was curious about this - until this weekend.
Hearing a range of IEMs up to $5000 this weekend makes it very clear to me that there are really quite big differences between IEMs for 200-300, for around 1000, and even going to 2000 would make sense to me if I had more money to spend on Audio. TBH I expected the differences to be smaller.

The Kanas Pro seems to have a special character, those smooth, detailed and transparent mids are special, sub bass is good, treble is quite good but not that special compared to more expensive IEMs, and after listening to so many IEMs that my ears almost ring I feel confirmation that the mid bass/lower mids are a bit subdued.

As said before, some music works great with this, other does not work that great.
But I found them somewhat more exciting than the Tanchjim Oxygen and the iBasso IT01s which I listened to today.
As such, I think they deserve some hype with limitation IMO.

Cheers!

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #1,648 of 12,011
Two weeks ago I have a chance to heard some TOTL iem stuff like 64 Audio u12t, CA Andromeda, Solaris, A&K Diana etc. And personally I can live easily with Moondrop Kanas and DM6.
I would like to have some high-end DAP like SP1000 rather, then any other additional iem. It's good to have personal reference point.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #1,649 of 12,011
I just arrived in Tokyo and spent more than 2h at e-earphone, listening to IEMs!
This was the first time I had the chance to listen in a shop and to hear TOTL models.
I used the iPhone with Tidal Hifi offline files and the Chord Mojo to compare.
what follows are short impressions of what I heard, from top down
(Take it as that - short impressions!)

Sony IER Z1R

WOWWWWW! That one blew me away. Big, heavy but comfortable, and a sound to die for. Extremely clear and balanced, like every element and frequency has more presence than with anything else I heard. Sounstage, body, timbre, punch, sparkle, it sounded very real, but just so much more than all other IEMs that it was almost unreal. But a very intense listening experience and with “Butterflies and Hurricanes” there was some sibilance at higher volume. Everything else was great, very bold, powerful

Listening to the KPE in comparison, KPE sub bass has good wuantity but less definition, mid bass lacks body, vocals are actually very good, but not as radically clean and full bodied as the Z1R and the treble lacks the energy and sparkle of the Sony

64 Audio Tia Fourte

This one felt like a safer variant of the Z1R, it also felt powerful, balanced, full bodied, airy, sparkly, punchy, but in a more „refined“ way
I am sure I would not get tired of listening to that one even after a long time. With the Z1R I am wondering if it could be too intense.

CA Andromeda

I was very curious about this one as it is so often mentioned as TOTL IEM.
It felt like an even safer IEM compared to the Tia Fourte. Very balanced, detailed top to bottom, but not as lively as the Fourte, let alone the Z1R

CA Solaris

I gave this only a short listen, since I didn’t like the fit and they felt too light to me. Felt a bit livlier than the Andromeda, closer to the Fourte, somewhere in the middle, maybe closer to the Andromeda.

CA Comet:

Very nice mids but lacking extension on both ends. I am sure you can get used to it and enjoy what is there (whch sounds very good) but you give up treble and bass

Tanchjim Oxygen

Now that one is interesting to compare with the KPE. Some said it’s better, and I found it more balanced, but there is some clarity and life in the KPE that I found missing in the Oxygen. I think it’s the KPE’s midrange that is so clear and transparent yet lively and not thin that stands out. Both are good, I feel the Oxygen could be a more versatile choice, but the KPE shines more with music that matches it character.

I also listened to iBasso IT01 (good), IKKO OH1 (not much memory, didn’t particularly impress) and the Final Audio E-series (very balanced and especially the E2000 feels like a very good natural sounding budget IEM)

And then I listened to the JVC HA-FD01 and FD02, which are particularly interesting for me since I bought the FD02 and will receive it in 2 days.

Here I need to go into the comparison between Z1R, KPE and the JVC HA-FD02 (Luckily I liked the FD02 better, the FD01 was even brighter)

When I listened to the Z1R and compared it to the KPE, I think I learned to better understand the strengths and weaknesses of the KPE. The toughest comparison was with Stravinsky’s “Firebird”. The Z1R had beautifully clear and powerful sound from sub bass to upper treble, no weak spot.

KPE had less mid bass (even a little less sub bass I felt) and less treble.

It laced some foundation and body, and sparkle, bite and shimmer in the treble. And there were some parts that sounded a little off, like the strings at 1:40 into the piece. Distorted, a tiny bit screechy, I’d describe it.

Additionally of course the Z1R had more transparency and detail, better separation etc.

The JVC FD02 seemed to have no such distortion issues, everything sounded “right”, more detailed, and mid bass is punchier, but is clearly generally much brighter than the Z1R or the KPE. Sounded good with some music, but then I came across a piece that really hurt my ears. I guess I may end up using James444’s mod

Bottomline about the KPE:

I feel the mid range is really, really good for the price, sub bass is good, transparency, soundstage and separation are also very good. This sounds GREAT with some tracks. Treble is a matter of taste, but IMO it could be a bit more sparkly and energetic (consider I use a smooth source...)

But with some pieces that need a strong mid bass or treble to balance the other elements I think there might be better options.

Once again - these are impressions, not reviews, and my experience with IEMs is limited. I am happy to own the KPE.

If I could pick one IEM of what I heard today, regardless of price I tend to pick the Z1R, with the Tia Fourte a second, “safe” choice, completely disregarding prices.

Part 2:
I spent another almost 3h there and found other IEMs to listen to:

Sony EX800ST:
Wow - for the price amazing! Really great bass, powerful, punchy, detailed, natural, quite fast. Mids a little dark, needs a bit getting used to but also good and detailed, highs can get slightly sharp but in general very detailed.

Sony XBA-Z5:
16mm DD + 2BA: all the good EX800ST bass with refined and detailed mids and highs. Clear step up, but here they are 3x the price, too much IMO

Sony IER-M7:
4BA model, very nice but just not up to the IER-M9 level:

IER-M9:
Great sounding 5BA IEM (added super-tweeter). IMO better than Andromeda, more lively, more punchy. Closer to Solaris, but could not say how close. Great fit!
Very, very nice to hear that refined, detailed and sparkly BA sound with a little heft in the bass. But the weight and heft cannot compare even remotely to the EX800ST or XBA-Z5 slam.
Pure SQ clearly above Z5, but the Z5 also has refinement paired with real slam. Matter of preference.

JVC HA-FW10000:
Another WOW IEM...
This time the incredibly natural timbre and sound, with a character that seemed to combine a good bit of DD slam with refinement and resolution of a BA?
A bit like a refined and tamed Z1R? I only had a short listen but I think if I could just pick one IEM it would be this one.

Sorry for going off-track in the Moondrop thread, but the KPE started it for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back