Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #1,606 of 12,011
Not sure if I have posted this question in this thread or not...

I'm a huge of of the Shure 846 sound signature, I have demoed and owned so many IEM's that include (Campfire Andro, DMG, DM6, JH Layla) The latest is the KP. I always find myself coming back to the 846's. I read so may comparisons between models but many never post about the 846's. Do many not like it's sound signature? and decide it's not worth posting about? or is it that no ones owns them or demos them. In the end it comes down to my preferences, but it would be good to know what others think. Cheers!

My main dap is a WM1Z.
846 is good but outdated, it has very nice bass for BA set but the treble is rolled off, is noting special for me, the KP is better earphone in my opinion

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #1,608 of 12,011
846 is good but outdated, it has very nice bass for BA set but the treble is rolled off, is noting special for me, the KP is better earphone in my opinion

Thanks for posting. While I disagree. Not sure what you mean about outdated? Yes it has rolled off treble after 5k but to the person who has sensitive ears this is a blessing. The 846's have much better sub bass, mid bass, wonderful warm mids, so that with the rolled off highs are what I enjoy. I guess i f that means "outdated", I can live with that. I do think the KP has a slightly better soundstage. Comfort is also huge part of me liking the Shures as much as I do too. KP's are too big for most to get them fully sealed and secure.
Thanks for your comparison.

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #1,609 of 12,011
Thanks for posting. While I disagree. Not sure what you mean about outdated? Yes it has rolled off treble after 5k but to the person who has sensitive ears this is a blessing. The 846's have much better sub bass, mid bass, wonderful warm mids, so that with the rolled off highs are what I enjoy. I guess i f that means "outdated", I can live with that. I do think the KP has a slightly better soundstage. Comfort is also huge part of me liking the Shures as much as I do too. KP's are too big for most to get them fully sealed and secure.

He meant the 846 is like best from the past, the era of 846, like era of senn IE800, sony EX1000. Of course theyre old TOTL, but still good in my opinion, just the KPE is better value at "only" $150ish compared to them. some love sparkles, some love relaxed highs, its just the matter of preferences.

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #1,610 of 12,011
He meant the 846 is like best from the past, the era of 846, like era of senn IE800, sony EX1000. Of course theyre old TOTL, but still good in my opinion, just the KPE is better value at "only" $150ish compared to them. some love sparkles, some love relaxed highs, its just the matter of preferences.

Yeah I gotcha. I agree that the IEM market has changed drastically in the last couple years. My first IEM was the Shure E5, like 13 years ago! Crazy! I also understand it's not fair to compare a $175 IEM with a $800. I'm just out looking for comparisons, If someone enjoys the 846 sound signature, please share your thoughts on how it compares with IEM's you have listened to.

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #1,611 of 12,011
I have a much beloved, but most recently neglected, set of SE846s... I need to go back to them for an extended listening session and refresh my recollections... I know now a little bit more about the effects of tips and insertion on sound sigs, so maybe I can coax a bit more of the treble out - can’t bring out what isn’t there, but maybe can avoid inadvertently dampening what is there...

Thank you for reminding me about these!

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #1,612 of 12,011
I totally agree with you about tips and the effect they’d make! Also the source, the Shures have a very low impedance and need a source with a really low output impudence to retain their ‘stock’ tuning. I didn’t realize how good they could sound until I picked up a WM1Z. Same can be said with the KP. They Didnt sound to pleaseing with a few pieces of ‘cheaper’ gear I own, but sound pretty decent with the WM1Z after a bit of Eq. The Shures I don’t have to EQ. Again this is my opinion. Thanks for posting.

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #1,613 of 12,011
I totally agree with you about tips and the effect they’d make! Also the source, the Shures have a very low impedance and need a source with a really low output impudence to retain their ‘stock’ tuning. I didn’t realize how good they could sound until I picked up a WM1Z. Same can be said with the KP. They Didnt sound to pleaseing with a few pieces of ‘cheaper’ gear I own, but sound pretty decent with the WM1Z after a bit of Eq. The Shures I don’t have to EQ. Again this is my opinion. Thanks for posting.
You’re so right about the source - thanks for reminding me, as I might just have plugged into my phone. I now have a couple of balanced DAC/amps I can plug into my v30, and an iEMatch cable, so, more to test out the SE846s...!

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #1,615 of 12,011

I listened to the 846 for a while. Wasn’t overly impressed, but understand respectfully that others may have different or improved sources.
Tend to agree with the above. I think we’re in a different era of technology. It’s moved on so quickly and chi-fi is revolutionising price/quality ratios. What was a $1000plus quality iem is now $100. Unfortunately some manufacturers (and middle men) are still capitalising on the old ways and perceptions and will soon be wiped out when people with that kind of cash eventually wake up. I think there’s also a lot of placebo stuff going on (I pay more therefore it sounds better).

I’d love to see a graph of the 846 compared to KP etc to see whether the differences are justified.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #1,616 of 12,011
I listened to the 846 for a while. Wasn’t overly impressed, but understand respectfully that others may have different or improved sources.
Tend to agree with the above. I think we’re in a different era of technology. It’s moved on so quickly and chi-fi is revolutionising price/quality ratios. What was a $1000plus quality iem is now $100. Unfortunately some manufacturers (and middle men) are still capitalising on the old ways and perceptions and will soon be wiped out when people with that kind of cash eventually wake up. I think there’s also a lot of placebo stuff going on (I pay more therefore it sounds better).

I’d love to see a graph of the 846 compared to KP etc to see whether the differences are justified.

I would have to disagree here. Shure started the removable interchangeable nozzle filter system that was/is copied by a lot of newer companies, also no other manufacturer ( to my knowledge) is using a low pass filter which gives amazing sub bass response without saturating the low mids. I guess I don't under stand what the Chi-fi companies are doing differently, could you explain the 'different era of technology'? Most seem to be using BA drivers, some use.dynamic drivers.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #1,617 of 12,011
I would have to disagree here. Shure started the removable interchangeable nozzle filter system that was/is copied by a lot of newer companies, also no other manufacturer ( to my knowledge) is using a low pass filter which gives amazing sub bass response without saturating the low mids. I guess I don't under stand what the Chi-fi companies are doing differently, could you explain the 'different era of technology'? Most seem to be using BA drivers, some use.dynamic drivers.
they are experimenting with different kind of drivers, DLC, Carbon nanotube, Beryllium, Piezo ceramic plates, titanium drivers, planars, there is a new knowles drivers available too, hybrids and so on

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #1,618 of 12,011
they are experimenting with different kind of drivers, DLC, Carbon nanotube, Beryllium, Piezo ceramic plates, titanium drivers, planars, there is a new knowles drivers available too, hybrids and so on

That's good to know. I think it's their tuning with most sets I've heardI think could use more work. IMO. I'm a big fan of UM ME.1 Planar, also the iSine 20, although not very practical for portable use. The Shure KSE1200 electrostatic IEM's are amazing! Hopefully one day. I'll own a set. I'm also waiting on 64 audio demos. N8, a12t, and possibly u12t. I need a set of CIEM for the stage.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #1,619 of 12,011
I can agree the SE846s are old and use older internals. I don’t think you buy internals, though, you buy the sound they reproduce. Don’t get sucked into the newer is better hype.

Now, I do like my Dm6 and Kanas Pro more than what I remember about my SE846, but I have newer hardware, and a better understanding of tips and insertion effects, hence I will revisit.

And Shure has their own cool stuff. The first time I heard their KSE1500 I very nearly fell to my knees. They were indescribably good.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,620 of 12,011
I can agree the SE846s are old and use older internals. I don’t think you buy internals, though, you buy the sound they reproduce. Don’t get sucked into the newer is better hype.

Now, I do like my Dm6 and Kanas Pro more than what I remember about my SE846, but I have newer hardware, and a better understanding of tips and insertion effects, hence I will revisit.

And Shure has their own cool stuff. The first time I heard their KSE1500 I very nearly fell to my knees. They were indescribably good.

Sound is number 1 for me, fit is a close second (IEM’s) The main purpose of my inatial post was for persons of this thread to post their comparison (if possible) of the 846’s to many other IEM’s. Being I know the 846 signature more than any IEM I own. Also gives me an idea how my preferences differ from others. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back