Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jan 27, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #61 of 1,920

I thought about going with the Moon Evo 600i (or maybe even 700i), but went with the 430HA (for preamp + headphone duties) and an Accuphase P-4200 power amp.

There are some very, very good integrated amps out there. Going for separates was really about getting the 430HA into the setup.

EDIT - my retailer has just been in touch with the distributor/importer - seems that there is a spike for the in demand for the 430HA following CES - so mid-February is looking more likely than anything earlier. Other folks placing post-CES orders might be getting caught up in similar delays.

I ordered my 430ha on dec 26 and received it a week later.  I was surprised to get it that quick even thought i live in the province next to moon's home province. For me buying canadian saves me paying the high exchange rate of buying us products.

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #62 of 1,920

I ordered my 430ha on dec 26 and received it a week later.  I was surprised to get it that quick even thought i live in the province next to moon's home province. For me buying canadian saves me paying the high exchange rate of buying us products.

Please excuse me for firing some questions at you... as someone who has ordered one of these and is waiting on delivery I am full of curiosity about it... any response appreciated.
  • Have you tried to drive a HE6 from the 430HA? If yes, how did it do?
  • Have you tried using the 430HA as a preamp? Any comments?
  • Any general comments on performance? Can you compare it to the Auralic Taurus MK2, for example?

Again, any info very much appreciated
smile.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #63 of 1,920

Please excuse me for firing some questions at you... as someone who has ordered one of these and is waiting on delivery I am full of curiosity about it... any response appreciated.
  • Have you tried to drive a HE6 from the 430HA? If yes, how did it do?
  • Have you tried using the 430HA as a preamp? Any comments?
  • Any general comments on performance? Can you compare it to the Auralic Taurus MK2, for example?

Again, any info very much appreciated
smile.gif

I am fairly new to the desktop headphone experience.  I have not heard any other desktop amp other than the bryston which i just sold. I have not tried it as a pre-amp since i am using an audio research ref 5 on my stereo system and i hate moving equipment around. I only have the hd800 but am looking to buy another headphone ( either one of the audeze or the new he1000 when it comes out). Sorry i could not help you more. I have commented about the sound. Did you have an specific questions? There are a few things not listed in the instruction manuel. The 3 pin xlr inputs are not labelled and the manuel does not say either. It turns out the left xlr is the left channel  Also since i bought just the amp and not the xtra dac, the display button to turn off the display does not work on the remote. To turn off or on the display, you have to hold on to the button for 2-3 seconds - not mentioned in the manual.

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #64 of 1,920

I am fairly new to the desktop headphone experience.  I have not heard any other desktop amp other than the bryston which i just sold. I have not tried it as a pre-amp since i am using an audio research ref 5 on my stereo system and i hate moving equipment around. I only have the hd800 but am looking to buy another headphone ( either one of the audeze or the new he1000 when it comes out). Sorry i could not help you more. I have commented about the sound. Did you have an specific questions? There are a few things not listed in the instruction manuel. The 3 pin xlr inputs are not labelled and the manuel does not say either. It turns out the left xlr is the left channel  Also since i bought just the amp and not the xtra dac, the display button to turn off the display does not work on the remote. To turn off or on the display, you have to hold on to the button for 2-3 seconds - not mentioned in the manual.

Thanks for that - appreciate the reply.

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #65 of 1,920

WOW lucky you... here at Bangkok the dealer says it will take at least 45 to 60 days!!! damn.... 
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #66 of 1,920
The MOON Neo 430HA drives my HiFi Man HE-6's effortlessly ... you need to set the gain to "Hi" and raise the volume quite a bit, but the sound is full-bodied, transparent and effortless. Probably the best my HE-6's have ever sounded. As for using it as a preamplifier, it only has a single-ended line output (even though there is a line-level balanced input and its a fully balanced design) but its very low noise and again, transparent sounding. Also, for an extra $800, you get a killer DAC that does DSD256 and 32-bit PCM. All in all, this is a great one box solution for computer-based audio for all us headphone people.

I have compared it to a few Schiit amps, the Oppo and the Dr. Cavalli and preferred it enough to take the plunge; so far, absolutely no regrets; It makes any pair of headphones sound their very best.

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #68 of 1,920
  The MOON Neo 430HA drives my HiFi Man HE-6's effortlessly ... you need to set the gain to "Hi" and raise the volume quite a bit, but the sound is full-bodied, transparent and effortless. Probably the best my HE-6's have ever sounded. As for using it as a preamplifier, it only has a single-ended line output (even though there is a line-level balanced input and its a fully balanced design) but its very low noise and again, transparent sounding. Also, for an extra $800, you get a killer DAC that does DSD256 and 32-bit PCM. All in all, this is a great one box solution for computer-based audio for all us headphone people.

I have compared it to a few Schiit amps, the Oppo and the Dr. Cavalli and preferred it enough to take the plunge; so far, absolutely no regrets; It makes any pair of headphones sound their very best.

Wonderful - exactly what I was looking for - thank you
beerchug.gif

I know the preamp output is RCA only - that really doesn't bother me (but it is a little odd on such a high end product).

I passed on the DAC option as I already have a killer DAC in the Auralic Vega.

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #71 of 1,920

Thanks man... appreciated the impression....helped me a bunch to decide... feeling safe now 
o2smile.gif

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #72 of 1,920
Sounds like a bit of a struggle to me..  Doesn't seem to have much overhead either.

As soon as I read that high gain was required, alarm bells started to ring. My Reference 10.32 needed high gain and 70+% volume, and while it drove the HE-6 ok, they were a very long way off their best. Bass not as well controlled/extended/textured, soundstage and imaging a bit congested, generally less articulate - I think just not enough reserves for transient peaks. That'd be my concern here with the 6 too, and the description doesn't suggest driving the HE-6 with ease, but rather implies the opposite. Still keen to audition, but buying without trying firmly off the agenda for now.

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #73 of 1,920
Remember Gain and power are different things too :)

If it has low gain to accomodate a large range of headphones (while still having good volume control)

It most likely isn't designed to have super high gain for use with HE-6 - could also be that his Dac output voltage isn't very high which would again affect it?

Could you clarify what dac you are using?

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #74 of 1,920
Remember Gain and power are different

That's what I'm getting at (I think Prepoman also).

Obviously I'll reserve judgement until I have a chance to hear it, but the statement above doesn't jibe with my experience of amps that do and don't drive the HE-6 "effortlessly".

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #75 of 1,920
  Remember Gain and power are different things too :)

If it has low gain to accomodate a large range of headphones (while still having good volume control)

It most likely isn't designed to have super high gain for use with HE-6 - could also be that his Dac output voltage isn't very high which would again affect it?

Could you clarify what dac you are using?

Right the internal DAC output voltage is low. I have a Audio GD NFB7 which has 5V output voltage over XLR. The Moon is about 10db louder with the GD DAC. But again with High Gain + Internal DAC I will never reach 80db volume with my Abyss. And I think with HE6 it is also no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back