Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Dec 18, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #1,906 of 1,920
In terms of power output, they are nearly the same (the 430HA technically has a little more power). I don't have the Susvara, but I have an original HE-6 and the 430HA did a fine job of powering it even though I tend to use a pure speaker power amp these days.

Please note that voltage and power are not the same, but they are related. The amount of current that an amplifier can provide is also important for low impedance loads.

As for which one "sounds" better, you can't determine that based on power alone.
Ah, I thought the volt was deciding how good it could drive the susvara. Guess it’s not that easy to determine which one is theoretically best in that term.

Dec 18, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #1,907 of 1,920
C'mon man, you've been around long enough to know that pure power output is not an indicator of quality, and after a while we're all just playing around with varieties of sonic flavour.

Dec 21, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #1,908 of 1,920
My local dealer told me it's 8W output and it drive my Susvara perfectly .

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #1,909 of 1,920
It sure does. It also has an overkill psu, which is great for susvara that needs current as well. What dac are you going to use?

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #1,910 of 1,920
I've been enjoying the 430HAD with the 780D as DAC - a nice pairing. More open than the onboard unit but overall not worth the price for anyone who would be pushing their budget to make the jump.

The HD800S has been an outstanding pairing with the amp - so much so that I wonder whether the amp was designed to excel with it, specifically. All the cons people note about the 430HAD are essential in tempering the HD800S own weaknesses, resulting in a large, smooth, and generally non-fatiguing sound.

I've noticed hi-gain produces a particularly positive outcome in the tonal balance of the headphone. Has anyone ever tested the effect of gain on such things with the 430HAD? It clearly affects the sound profile of the headphone (noise aside) to my ears.

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #1,911 of 1,920
I prefer lo gain with the HD800's at 300Ohm they don't require more push to give me the sound I enjoy.

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #1,912 of 1,920
I've been enjoying the 430HAD with the 780D as DAC - a nice pairing. More open than the onboard unit but overall not worth the price for anyone who would be pushing their budget to make the jump.

The HD800S has been an outstanding pairing with the amp - so much so that I wonder whether the amp was designed to excel with it, specifically. All the cons people note about the 430HAD are essential in tempering the HD800S own weaknesses, resulting in a large, smooth, and generally non-fatiguing sound.

I've noticed hi-gain produces a particularly positive outcome in the tonal balance of the headphone. Has anyone ever tested the effect of gain on such things with the 430HAD? It clearly affects the sound profile of the headphone (noise aside) to my ears.
I've also found the 430HA to be the best amp I've encountered with HD800S phones - which happen to be my preferred phones! I've used many different amps over the years - including the HDV820 (and precursors) - and nothing seems to work so well. Like you, I have wondered whether the amp was designed with the HD800S in mind. I also use Audio Technica ADX5000 phones and find the 430HA pairs very well with them also (nominal impedance of the AT ~400 ohms). I have tried the high-gain setting with these phones, but haven't noticed any improvement; in fact, I prefer the low-gain setting. Among other things, at the gain levels I prefer, I find the low-gain setting gives me greater scope to adjust levels to suit. That said, the gain controls are so sophisticated that I've never had difficulty finding the 'right' level for any phones or any recording. I can't speak highly enough of this amp.

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #1,913 of 1,920
I’ve also used the hd800s and it was a great pairing. Recently I got the Pontus II dac, it has 4v output. It really makes the 430had a great pairing with the susvara as well. The Pontus plays warmer with bigger stage than the internal dac. This pairing makes the susvara smooth and it can rumble really deep with the 430had. Vocals are really magical and you get an ethereal “im there feeling” it’s scary real at certain tracks. I’ve also tried several dacs and amps for susvara and there has so far not been anything that made me replace the 430had. I’m on the 6th year with it.

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #1,914 of 1,920
I just bought a Moon HAD 430. It is a demo model from an authorized dealer. I just took the chance. As an entrepreneur I can also get the tax back and it will cost me approximately € 1200. I have a Bricasti M1 DAC and Denon D9200 headphones. I also want to buy a Hifiman HE 1000 stealth or maybe the HEKSE. I now use an Aune S17pro as a headphone amplifier. This one also sounds pretty good, but I want to go a big step higher and everything I've read on this forum seems to be in line with my preference for the sound of the Moon. For this price I can't go wrong.

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #1,915 of 1,920
I just bought a Moon HAD 430. It is a demo model from an authorized dealer. I just took the chance. As an entrepreneur I can also get the tax back and it will cost me approximately € 1200. I have a Bricasti M1 DAC and Denon D9200 headphones. I also want to buy a Hifiman HE 1000 stealth or maybe the HEKSE. I now use an Aune S17pro as a headphone amplifier. This one also sounds pretty good, but I want to go a big step higher and everything I've read on this forum seems to be in line with my preference for the sound of the Moon. For this price I can't go wrong.
For me, you can’t go wrong with the Moon 430HAD at all. Still one of the best headphone amps I’ve heard, certainly for the money. You won’t regret it

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #1,916 of 1,920
It’s a steal for that money. You should go susvara straight away to save time and money. You will eventually end up there either way :wink:

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #1,917 of 1,920
They are still selling the 430HA minus the DAC for $4200 US. The DAC is a stripped down 280 which in its own retails for $3900 US. I still rely on mine as a primary review unit for solid state. Great piece!

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #1,918 of 1,920
It’s a steal for that money. You should go susvara straight away to save time and money. You will eventually end up there either way :wink:
I will consider the susvara. But the price is more than 4 times that of the HE1000 stealth. How is the representation of the bass of the susvara? I see that you have sold some beautiful headphones including the HE1000SE. What makes the Susvara different for you from the headphones you have sold, especially the HEKSE?

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #1,919 of 1,920
The Moon arrived yesterday. I'll let it warm up for a day and then listen critically. The Moon fits very well with my Jeff Rowland Model 8 power amplifier :)

Attachments

• Moon430.jpeg
    Moon430.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #1,920 of 1,920
I will consider the susvara. But the price is more than 4 times that of the HE1000 stealth. How is the representation of the bass of the susvara? I see that you have sold some beautiful headphones including the HE1000SE. What makes the Susvara different for you from the headphones you have sold, especially the HEKSE?
Susvara goes lower in bass than SE. which is more punchy kind of and it has ha haze and a bit bright to the top end that Susvara does not have. Susvara is just more natural and better to my ears. It’s a lot more in cash, I know. But to me it’s worth it. But if you don’t hear the susvara you will live happily with the he1000se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back