Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Apr 30, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #1,876 of 1,920
This seems to me involve tremendous detail, but without any unnatural intensity of high frequency information
of the many things I value of the 430had, this is one of them. I feel many daps and AIOs that have filters force you to choose between a greater soundstage but thinner, brighter and fatiguing. Or fuller more intimate engagement presentation, however a more closed in, overly soft presentation. It’s left me never liking filters.

Enter 430 and you get the benefits of all the filters without drawbacks - in my opinion.

Apr 30, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #1,877 of 1,920
I love my 430had. Cant see what Would replace it, actually.

Apr 30, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #1,878 of 1,920
I has been one of my two reference amps for 9 years now. My favorite solid state unit.

Apr 30, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #1,879 of 1,920
One other point that occurred to me after writing the post above was how much I enjoy the fact that the 430HA allows the various headphones I have to sound quite different. I'm inclined to think this is because it drives them adequately without imposing much of its own character. More than any other amp I've encountered, it gives me several 'systems'. I'm often reminded of this when I see comments to the effect that all modern amps sound the same. I can accept that many modern amps are good enough to give good results - but that misses the point I think of an amp like the 430.

May 1, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #1,880 of 1,920
Has Anyone compared the internal dac of 430had with gustard R26?

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #1,881 of 1,920
IMG_0528.jpeg

i wanted to post this somewhere, but I compared the 430 to the Lina stack from dcs. The Lina has proven to be polarizing, specifically with the amp itself. And I can see why.

Compared to the 430,The low end was more forward than I wanted at times. In Up The Mountain by Regina Spektor, the bass hit throughout the song didn’t feel as natural and seemed to take center stage, even over Regina’s voice.

It’s also not the last name in soundstage, it presented not as an intimate, but not ambient, a healthy spot in between. But although this approach has its pros, it wasn’t as resolving in the most complicated of pieces. In Don’t Wanna by Haim, the last third of the song is a buildup of introducing multiple layers of vocals, individual instruments etc all happening at once. The Lina made it half way through this build, then the rest was, by comparison, a blob of sound. The 430 keeps all layers going through the whole piece.

The Lina also felt a bit too liquid at times. In Up From a Dream by Haim, the electric guitar at the 1:30 mark came across as quite too digital/polished, and not that full for me. On the 430, it sounds down right physical, the texture is supposed to pop on this piece, and this is coming from an amp that many argue is too polite for their tastes.

For the good, I do feel the Lina had a bit going for them.

The crossfeed was some of the best I’ve heard. It’s notably better than the 430s

I had a stronger sense of focus, a solid idea of what I was focusing on with the rest of the song accessible, but a slight step back.

The layers the Lina did present were all more prominent. You could argue this is more because the lack of soundstage. But as I said earlier, this presentation has its pros.

I also had a few moments noticing some new micros details. And at the end of the day, straight up, I think the Lina had a sound that will satisfy the majority… we are talking a $30,000 setup though.

Now my listening session wasn’t perfect, I went off of the shops recommended setup including filters, so I’m sure people can dismiss my claims here. But I walked away with more questions in the end. The Lina is being described as dead neutral, but so is the 430HAD, by Tyl himself from Inner Fidelity. And I would have to say that in comparison, the 430 makes the Lina sound colored.

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #1,882 of 1,920
Thanks for the perspective! Nice to know the 430HAD still stands up well after 9 years on the market.

Jul 13, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #1,883 of 1,920
Thanks for the comprehensive review and comparison!

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #1,884 of 1,920
I have also tried alot, i had the upgradeitis 😂 But ive kept the 430had in the end. Differences was tiny when there was a difference. And not always for the better either. Wonder if they will release a new 430had any time soon. I asked if moon would upgrade the internal dac any time soon, they said it’s no need to. So guess it’s nothing happening in near future.

Jul 15, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #1,885 of 1,920
I have also tried alot, i had the upgradeitis 😂 But ive kept the 430had in the end. Differences was tiny when there was a difference. And not always for the better either. Wonder if they will release a new 430had any time soon. I asked if moon would upgrade the internal dac any time soon, they said it’s no need to. So guess it’s nothing happening in near future.
I’m quit curious about what you tried as a replacement for the 430HAD, especially the DAC part.

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #1,886 of 1,920
I’m quit curious about what you tried as a replacement for the 430HAD, especially the DAC part.
Hi. I had the tt2, qutest, moon 680D, burson conductor 3gt it think it was named, also cayin ha300b mk2, and the ferrum stack, violectric 590, Auralic Vega G2.1 and auralic Altair, bluesound node n130 and X.

Jul 15, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #1,887 of 1,920
Hi. I had the tt2, qutest, moon 680D, burson conductor 3gt it think it was named, also cayin ha300b mk2, and the ferrum stack, violectric 590, Auralic Vega G2.1 and auralic Altair, bluesound node n130 and X.
Wow, that are some big names you’ve tried. I think I’ll better stick with the 430HAD then an wait for a significant upgrade by Moon

Jul 15, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #1,888 of 1,920
The DAC could be more resolving
It could have a much smaller footprint (I’m still amazed how compact the TT2 is before I sold it)
It could implement current technology and ports (e.g. Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition)

But the amp section and the overall implementation is still right up there. Hard to envision how much ‘gain’ there would be from an upgrade purely from a sound quality perspective. But here’s hoping.

*minor edits*

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #1,889 of 1,920
The DAC could be more resolving
It could have a much smaller footprint (I’m still amazed how compact the TT2 is before I sold it)

But the amp section and the overall implementation is still right up there. Hard to envision how much ‘gain’ there would be from an upgrade. But here’s hoping.
Thanks for the insight

Aug 10, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #1,890 of 1,920
The HAd is a great unit unto itself. By comparison the Qutest is a much better DAC than what the HAd has onboard.
Since the qutest doesnt have xlr balanced like the 430had, qutest only have rca. Would it be a mismatch with the balanced build of the Moon 430 to feed it unbalanced rca?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back