Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jan 25, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #46 of 1,920
Jan 25, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #47 of 1,920
To R. Giskard,

I just came across your post while researching the MOON 430HA Headphone amp on this site. As a long time owner of numerous Simaudio models over the years, I feel compelled to comment several issues you mentioned here.

They launched the Neo series in early 2013 and though many of the components kept the same model numbers, there were indeed enhancements made to the internal circuitry, especially the integrated amplifiers and line-stage preamplifier. I heard the difference myself as I upgraded to one of the newer Neo integrated, and cosmetically these newer units are much more appealing.

Regarding their 10 year warranty, it has been around for ages and continues to be 10 years in North America. The discretionary aspect is for distributors outside of North America ONLY.

As for the Neo 260D CD Transport that comes with an optional HD USB DAC, this is a completely different product than the original MOON 260D - the CD Drive mechanism has a much better suspension (similar to the 650D & 750D) and a completely different DAC & analog stage. And yes, there are nearly a dozen of great reviews out there according to their website, and some are available online.

http://www.simaudio.com/en/product/29--cd-transport-with-optional-dac.html

In my opinion, the company continues to offer great products at a fair value and they have done so for well over 30 years, always building them in Canada. In this day and age, its becoming harder and harder to get what you pay for, but at the very least with these guys you do get what you pay for.

I remain very impressed by my Simaudio 310 phono pre-amp.
Great sound, ultra quiet, very flexible.

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #49 of 1,920
Jan 26, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #50 of 1,920
Congrats, man!! Let us know what you end up thinking about it!!

Yes, definitely do! A few of us hanging on for your every word (and the other owners, if course). Just sold my Taurus a few minutes ago, so very much in the market for a new amp and this one is right up there in the running.

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #51 of 1,920
Yes, definitely do! A few of us hanging on for your every word (and the other owners, if course). Just sold my Taurus a few minutes ago, so very much in the market for a new amp and this one is right up there in the running.

I'm keeping my Taurus to use as a preamp for my tube Triode amp - makes for a good match.

Hopefully I can post some comparisons with the 430HA vs Taurus if I pick up the 430HA this week (hoping - was expecting it last week).

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #52 of 1,920

http://i62.tinypic.com/6pudyq.jpg The black one is what I have ordered yeeaaaah 
L3000.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #53 of 1,920
Is the MSRP on this amp listed at $3,500 without the DAC and $4,300 with the DAC?  Very interesting.  Pass Labs showed a headphone amp at CES 2015, and it's listed at $3,500 as well.  So looks like the Big Boys are getting into the headphone game.  

I know one thing for sure - the MOON 600i integrated amp is a force to be reckoned with. But that unit is like $8K or something CRAZY like that.  If they put any of that 700i / 600i technology in this heaphone amp - watch out because it will be a monster of an amp.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #54 of 1,920
  Is the MSRP on this amp listed at $3,500 without the DAC and $4,300 with the DAC?  Very interesting.  Pass Labs showed a headphone amp at CES 2015, and it's listed at $3,500 as well.  So looks like the Big Boys are getting into the headphone game.  

I know one thing for sure - the MOON 600i integrated amp is a force to be reckoned with. But that unit is like $8K or something CRAZY like that.  If they put any of that 700i / 600i technology in this heaphone amp - watch out because it will be a monster of an amp.

As a proud owner of the MOON 600i, I'm certain it'd be the end game 
gs1000.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #55 of 1,920

Yep - $800 for the optional DAC. I already have an Auralic Vega, so I passed on the DAC.

According to the wordage from Simaudio, they have taken technology from the TOTL Evo series (such as the 740P preamp) and applied that to the 430HA.

This was a part of my decision to go with the 430HA - mine will probably be doing duty as a preamp 70->80% of the time.

I will post some pics and first impressions on this thread when I get it (I am hoping this week).

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #58 of 1,920
  As a proud owner of the MOON 600i, I'm certain it'd be the end game 
gs1000.gif

I thought about going with the Moon Evo 600i (or maybe even 700i), but went with the 430HA (for preamp + headphone duties) and an Accuphase P-4200 power amp.

There are some very, very good integrated amps out there. Going for separates was really about getting the 430HA into the setup.

EDIT - my retailer has just been in touch with the distributor/importer - seems that there is a spike for the in demand for the 430HA following CES - so mid-February is looking more likely than anything earlier. Other folks placing post-CES orders might be getting caught up in similar delays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back