Monster Turbines?
Sep 29, 2011 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

feteru

New Head-Fier
So I recently got into the audiophile game with grado sr-80i's and an e-11, and I was wondering how the monster turbines are, as I have been looking for some decent iems. On Amazon, they are going for ~$85, is that a good deal? They almost definitely will not be fake, as they are shipping from amazon themselves, but I was wondering if they are good for the music I listen to, classic rock, and some dubstep/house when I am on the go. Thanks!

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 10
The Turbine's good for the price especially if you like gobs of bass, but I'd recommend the Meelec CC51 instead. $35 cheaper and a bit better SQ. You can get it with a mic/remote, too.

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Clarity-CC51-BK-Ceramic-Headphone/dp/B004OBZ2UE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317334642&sr=8-1

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 10
How is the durability of the Meelec compare to the Turbines. Also, is the bass overpowering on the Turbines, like Beats, or is it fine or able to be equed out while preserving the mids and highs? I do like my music a little warm, and I like the look of the Turbines. I am definitely leaning towards the Turbines

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
How is the durability of the Meelec compare to the Turbines. Also, is the bass overpowering on the Turbines, like Beats, or is it fine or able to be equed out while preserving the mids and highs? I do like my music a little warm, and I like the look of the Turbines. I am definitely leaning towards the Turbines

I'm not sure how the build quality of the turbines are, but i can tell you that i have gone through 3 cc51s in just one month

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 10
okay, thanks jaqueh. I will probably be going with the Monsters for their capability with bass for dubstep/house, as i only really listen to classic rock at my home. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 10
yes this happens for some reason...it comes from the cord attached to the earpiece, and can get lose when  you remove the iems from  your ears when holding the cord ending

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 10

I agree. I had both the Miles Davis Tribute's and the Copper's, and sound stopped coming out of the left side on BOTH sets within a year. The RMA process was painfully slow for the Tribute's--in fact, I sent them in back in the beginning of March and only received my replacements (Trumpet's) a whole month and a half later. 
Quote:
I got the turbines a little while ago and they sounded great! TONS of bass. But sadly the left side stopped working after less than 2 weeks. I would pass on the Turbines.

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 10
After a few days of listening I agree bass on turbines can be bloated also missing hard hitting punch from other IEM's I own, it's far from lacking, it has what I'd call a bass response of it's own nature. I think tuned in a way to focus on a selection of listeners, not to hard, not to loud, but enough to please others in need. However the highs are a different story. There's some complicated songs in my library (mostly electronic / dubstep) other headphones I own can't keep up with in speed which turns the tune into an exhausted hissing mess. Turbines hold it together with great separation in that area with nice sparkle, speed and detail.  

(E11 used) Continuing on with the bass, there's nothing...nothing I've heard to date that hits harder downstairs than Hippo VB, especially sub bass regions. I was expecting some competition from turbines in this area. Turbines try to get down low but simply cut off before reaching 100% brain squishy level,  however it does this without bleeding into mids and highs very well at low /mid volumes, if you try to pump up volume they simply start labouring (especially with E11)  Hippo VB on the other hand go all the way down to china town and beyond to a the point you think you're going to break something inside your brain, also.. with bucket loads of volume left over.

Another thing, turbines do not like being amped imo, they don't mind a little at lower volumes, have a nice sweet spot but if you think turbines means, "louder better stronger" think again, anything past 3.5 / 8 low power / low gain on my E11 they say  'I can't do this' packing up shop pretty easily, Where as Hippo VB just eat it up. Even My Phillips 3580 chew the amp up, but not my turbines.

At the end of the day I think the turbines are great for those wanting to use HO, what they do, they do right for most parts but there's that old saying of there's others better for cheaper, If you can pick them up from Monsters outlet store or member here for $50 as I did by all means that's a great buy, would I pay $85? yes I probably would, but the full asking price of $279 in our Australian stores is a far cry from what they're worth. Please remember my comparison of the Hippo VB and Turbines was only for the bass section. not as a whole IEM where the turbines win hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back