Monster Turbine Pro Copper Replacements
Jun 6, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #93 of 119
As promised, here is an update on the DUNU IEMs, for those needing to (or wanting to) replace their Monster Turbine Coppers with something else. I'm now the proud owner of a replacement (working!) pair of DUNU DN-1000 and also a pair of DN-2000:

Left to right: Monster Turbine, Monster Turbine Pro Copper, DN-1000, DN-2000.

The DN-2000s come in a more luxurious packaging:

Oddly, there weren't too many other differences between the DN-1000 and DN-2000. The earbuds are a little different, but both have the same (very thin) non-replaceable cables, reminiscent of those on the original Monster Turbine headphones. Neither model comes with a volume remote or microphone on the cable.

There was one surprise. The replacement (sealed, working) pair of DN-1000s also came with a pair of bi-flange tips that were not in the box of the previous DN-1000s, or in those of the DN-2000s. Here they are:

These bi-flanges seem to be exclusive to the DN-1000.

Just for comparison, here are M.E.Electronics' bi-flanges.

And here are Monster's bi-flange tips. Note the smaller bore.

In summary, I really like the sound of both the DN-1000 and DN-2000 headphones. I thought I slightly preferred the sound of the DN-2000, but that may simply be expectation bias. The DN-2000 appears to have a marginally better attack and decay, but I honestly couldn't hear too much difference. I wouldn't be surprised if I failed an ABX (not easy to achieve here, because the DN-2000 earbuds have little metal tabs, so you can feel the difference - these tabs are actually a bonus for the DN-2000 model, as you can tell left and right earbuds apart in total darkness). The FR curves aren't worth plotting, because you won't even see a difference between the two DUNU models. So, in terms of sound alone, I would recommend whichever is the cheaper (the DN-1000).

Their sound is a little V-shaped, and I agree with the left side of that V :) I want an IEM that slightly compensates for the fact that I won't feel the ground reverberating beneath my feet when listening to a heavy, driving bass line. But both models also have a notable treble peak at 8-9 kHz. Depending on genre, personal preference and personal audiogram, some people will hear this as bright, clear, revealing, etc.; others might hear this as too bright, harsh, or even tinny.  I've learned to live with it and tame it, when necessary, with software such as the excellent Pencil EQ in CanOpener. Their clarity is on par with that of the Monster Turbine Coppers - all three models have comparably-low total harmonic distortion. Bottom line - I really like the sound of the DUNUs. It reminds me a lot of the sound of the old TF-10. A V-shape always makes for a pretty exciting sound :)  Just be aware that you're not getting an identical Monster Turbine Copper sound signature with the DUNUs. The DUNUs and Coppers are much more similar in terms of appearance than they are in terms of fit or sound.

My last warning about the DUNUs is about ergonomics. I had more luck with the above bi-flange tips than I did with any of the other DUNU tips. However, oddly, they weren't included in my DN-2000 box.  I was able, with some persuasion, to get the Monster silicon tips to work with the DUNUs (triple- and bi-flange), but it was hard work and the seal would easily break. I had no luck with either foam or gel Monster supertips - the DUNUs require an airtight seal of the ear canal, which the supertips aren't designed for. The tips that work best for me are the Comply T500, but even these require too much effort. I find myself re-adjusting multiple times to get a good seal. The problem with these thick posts is there's hardly any space left for foam between the post and your ear canal. This is the DUNUs biggest failing, IMHO. Any IEM that requires a good, airtight seal needs a long, thin post. The DUNU posts are too short, too wide, too smooth and require tiny little metal spacer rings that fall off far too easily and will be prone to getting lost. If you can make these IEMs fit, you'll probably love them, but be warned - these are fantastic sounding headphones with horrible ergonomics.  I don't think they'll be replacing my Coppers as my go-to IEMs anytime soon, but I will persevere a bit longer with the DN-2000, because I do enjoy their sound. If you need to replace a lost/broken pair of Monster Turbine Coppers, either DUNU model would be worth checking out.

Thanks once again to oldmate for the tip on the DUNUs.

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #94 of 119
I'm having the exact same problem - my monster turbine pro copper stopped working (left earbud has no sound). called the 1-800 number the guy told me to go to the website to pickup anything for $100 or lower (as I only spent $100 for it - boxing day sale).

these are the only two products that are slightly lower $100:
http://www.monsterproducts.com/N-Tune_On-Ear_Headphones_3
http://www.monsterproducts.com/iSport-Bluetooth-Wireless-In-Ear-Sport-Headphones

I'm now using my xiaomi piston 2 and quite happy with that, I want to pick the one that has better sound and higher resale value. Any advice?

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #95 of 119
  Can you define why the Golds are better? Is it in terms of bass, mid, etc? I've searched up some threads about their replacement and a lot of people have said that the Turbine Pro series are really good sounding, so I doubt that the Inspiration or DNA could replace them.

But we don't really have much choice; both the Inspiration and DNA are the closest in terms of pricing.

Gold's sound more live, bigger sound stage and definitely more clear. Inspirations have bass overpowering vocals. Keep in mind I have the wired version that supposedly sounds better then wireless one. Inspirations are kind of shallow that may or may not be an issue for you depending on the size of your ears.

I spoke to monster. They are not coming up with anything updated to turbines pros. I looked over monster offerings and found isport victory I wonder how good or bad they are.....

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #96 of 119
I'm in the same boat.  What they have in the line up looks weak so I'll just hold onto them for now. 

I got the same line - if you spent $100 we'll credit you $100.  I said I disagree - I bought a premium headphone and want a premium headphone irrespective of price.  I'll argue this with them once they have something I want but right now it doesn't look like they have IEMs that come close.  I bought 3 pairs on a great sale, 2 are now broken.  What I paid is irrelevant - I bought a high end headphone on what is a black Friday equivalent (boxing day in Canada) and I should be compensated with a high end headphone.

He also said "as a courtesy, we'd give you a one year warranty on whatever you select".  What crap - so I go from a lifetime warranty to a one year - and they are doing me a courtesy?

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #97 of 119
Go 'like' my post to their facebook!

You guys should be ashamed.  A few years ago, I bought your high end monster turbine pro headphones with a lifetime warranty.  They are now broken, and you don’t have any in ear headphones of comparable quality in your range.  I called hoping to send in for a same model replacement and your rep told me they are discontinued but offered me the chance to exchange for up to what I paid originally for anything on your site.  When I bought them, they were on a very hot ‘boxing day’ deal and I bought 3 pairs.  I bought 3 pairs based on the lifetime warranty and your strong reputation as a brand.  Your offer to replace based on your current website prices up to what I paid when on a hot boxing day deal a few years back will leave me with headphones of a much lower quality.  This does not ‘keep me whole’ and I’m not interested in trading down.  Shame on you.  Honestly, I don’t think you have an in ear headphone of similar quality in your range at the moment so I’m going to hold onto them and exchange at a future date hoping that you relaunch a high end line sometime into the future.  To add insult, you rep said as a courtesy we’ll give you a one year warranty on whatever you pick.  Really?  You are downgrading my warranty from lifetime to one year and this is a courtesy to me?  You should share this with your marketing manager on the product range – he/she would probably cringe!

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #98 of 119
Again, sympathies to those that are stuck with defective Monster Turbine Copper Pros and an equivalently-defective lifetime warranty. At this stage, it looks like all you can do is be thankful for the time you spent with your Monster Turbine Coppers and move on. My feeling is the Coppers were a bit of a fluke anyway. Monster has not produced anything like them since it discontinued the Turbine and Miles Davis Tribute/Tumpet lines. The Pro Gold model wasn't anything too special, IMHO - a little more neutral perhaps than the original Turbines, but they didn't quite have the clarity of the Copper model.  My recommendation to those being offered an exchange for the equivalent purchase price would be 1) take something from Monster at or close to the equivalent purchase price 2) sell it on eBay 3) buy yourself a good pair of headphones somewhere else. Because, sadly, Monster no longer sells any good headphones :frowning2:

One poster (oldmate) recommended the DUNUs as a replacement. They're nice-sounding headphones in a similar price range (less than $200 for the DU-1000 and a little over $200 for the DN-2000. There is also a newer DN-2000J model which has a slightly smaller body and notched posts, but its bass is reduced in comparison to that of the DN-1000 and DN-2000, which may make it a bit too different-sounding in comparison to the Coppers.  One major issue I had with the DUNUs was their wide nozzles (all three models have 5 mm posts).  I have a tip for DUNU users. Literally:

I had no luck with any of the tips DUNU included in their packaging. Comply T500 sort of fit me, but were a bit too much work. Veritas tips are worth checking out. They are $10 for 4 pairs on Amazon (so they're cheaper than Comply). Just be careful, as they come in different post sizes - make sure you get the ones for 5 mm posts. They look almost the same as Comply, but if you look carefully, you'll see they're a little less rounded at the ends. That reaches in a bit further and creates just a tiny bit more foam to help seal up the ear canal. It's not the same as using Comply P-series foams with an Etymotic or a Shure, but I can make these work fairly consistently. They're worth checking out if you're a DUNU owner.  (P.S. You do not want to be using tips like these with Monster Turbine Pro Coppers! A tight seal warms their sound way too much.)

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #101 of 119
I bought my MTPC two years ago. It's still working fine, but the problem is that it starts to rust. I was thinking about lifetime warranty...but after reading this....=.= ! So in general, Monster just scams us about lifetime sh!t? What you guys' suggestions? Just ignore the crappy warranty and buy different ones when ours die??  

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #102 of 119
I'm currently going through the replacement process, and I suggest you to replace your MTPC with an equal or lower value product offering from Monster, sell it, and buy something else. I personally chose 24K over-the-ear headphone, because it matched the amount I paid for my MTPC ($300). The process still takes more than a month although the company representative informed it would take 7-10 days. I'm realizing monster's warranty is not as great as anticipated.

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #103 of 119
i still think if they don't have stock of the coppers to dish out to warranty recipients, then they should still be on the hook for a new or used pair from ebay or amazon. they're out there and they should have to procure them for you. just my 2 cents.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #104 of 119
  I'm currently going through the replacement process, and I suggest you to replace your MTPC with an equal or lower value product offering from Monster, sell it, and buy something else. I personally chose 24K over-the-ear headphone, because it matched the amount I paid for my MTPC ($300). The process still takes more than a month although the company representative informed it would take 7-10 days. I'm realizing monster's warranty is not as great as anticipated.

I purchased my MTPC (only 1 pair) same way you did (boxing day several years ago) for the same price and although my headphones are still working fine, I will be planning to replace them sometime down the line and I agree that there is absolutely NO way that customers should accept an inferior product based on their purchase price from an authorized retailer. I read that the new line of the turbine copper will be coming out soon in 2015 and I'm willing to wait, so I'm hoping this mess could be avoided once the new line comes out? But after reading your experience I'm scared that Monster won't honour what they advertise. Were you forced to give in ie. turn in your 3 pairs of MTPC for 1 pair of the 24k?

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #105 of 119
For those who bought from futureshop on that hot deal back in 2011 for $94.99, suggest you login and print off your receipts in case they are needed.  With the conversion of futureshop to best buy, the receipts might not be on-line that much longer into the future.  At some point they will retire the site. 

I just downloaded my 3 receipts. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back