Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Oct 9, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #1,096 of 1,122
Quote:
Am I the only one that likes their stock single flange tips? Everyone seems to hate how obtuse they are.

I really cant wear those stock flange tips anymore after going to foam tips.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #1,097 of 1,122
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Turbines, but I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews on Amazon about lousy build quality that's making me hesistate. And I hear Monster is a headache with customer service.

Any input on build quality?
I've heard from some people that drivers blow in 2 months or the housing just comes apart.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #1,098 of 1,122
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Turbines, but I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews on Amazon about lousy build quality that's making me hesitate. And I hear Monster is a headache with customer service.
Any input on build quality?
I've heard from some people that drivers blow in 2 months or the housing just comes apart.

I've read several reports of housings coming apart, it's only glued to my understanding, metal on metal doesn't like to stick, one solid drop to the concrete would break the bond. Driver flex also troublesome over time, I think they're decent sounding, though becoming a little dated now. I wouldn't pay over $50 for them personally. Owning them I can say a $35 SoundMAGIC E10 is not far behind SQ wise imo.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #1,103 of 1,122
build quality is bad, but I once called them and got them to send me a new pair of 400 dollar headphones even though I broke them. I called just to see what they would do, and because they felt bad they covered me. I don't know, not all bad anyway

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #1,105 of 1,122
I just got a pair of turbine pearls that I bought as a warehouse deal on amazon, I must admit there was a daunting amount of tips, I'd guess at least a dozen pairs with these.  So far, I'm really enjoying them on some bass-friendly music like Puscifer.  And as much as I hate to admit it, I really love the pearl look to these.  I know I shouldn't really take aesthetics into consideration on the quality of an IEM, but I must admit its a nice perk.  I might need to take a little time to go through the single flanges, triple flanges, and foam tips to see which I enjoy the feel/sound of most.  Also on a side note, I really like the carrying case.  All in all, for the $67 or so I paid for it, I'm quite happy with the purchase!

Sep 30, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #1,108 of 1,122
Hello everyone!

A friend of mine wanted me to purchase him a pair of Monster Turbines (just Turbine, not the Pro versions). He is an avid basshead but also wants no compromise in mid or high ranges, so I think he made the right choice.

I HAVE AN URGENT and VERY SERIOUS QUESTION... (sry for caps)

Is there any difference between the Turbine and the Turbine with ControlTalk, besides the fact that ControlTalk has Apple remote controls and mic? Is (or will) there any difference in sound quality? Please help me as I fear that I might have made the wrong choice and should have gotten the standard one instead of the one with Apple remote controls. However my friend has many Apple devices, so I put that into consideration when choosing. But I still fear that there will be sound quality/signature/build quality differences between the two?

Can anyone clarify for me about this issue pretty please? I feel this is the best place to ask. I have heard the Turbines before, and I really liked it for its sound for the price. It is a thing of beauty as well, durable and everything...

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #1,109 of 1,122
  Hello everyone!

A friend of mine wanted me to purchase him a pair of Monster Turbines (just Turbine, not the Pro versions). He is an avid basshead but also wants no compromise in mid or high ranges, so I think he made the right choice.

I HAVE AN URGENT and VERY SERIOUS QUESTION... (sry for caps)

Is there any difference between the Turbine and the Turbine with ControlTalk, besides the fact that ControlTalk has Apple remote controls and mic? Is (or will) there any difference in sound quality? Please help me as I fear that I might have made the wrong choice and should have gotten the standard one instead of the one with Apple remote controls. However my friend has many Apple devices, so I put that into consideration when choosing. But I still fear that there will be sound quality/signature/build quality differences between the two?

Can anyone clarify for me about this issue pretty please? I feel this is the best place to ask. I have heard the Turbines before, and I really liked it for its sound for the price. It is a thing of beauty as well, durable and everything...

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

pretty late but i don't think it makes a difference, some people can hear the difference between the ones with and without

personally i have a pair of noontec zoros with detachable cables i A/B with the vmoda (3button cable) with a pair of beats pro (fake cable) i honestly couldn't hear much of a difference. 

mind you my beats cable is fake so that could be it

but i ended going with the vmoda 3 button cable ( ithink its because it sounded cleaner to me) 

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,110 of 1,122
Hi everyone pretty late to jump on the bandwagon but i recently got a pair of used monster ORIGINAL turbines

it came with nothing but i had some monster single flange i think its a large from a friend

it fit me with the philips sh3580 but with the turbines it kept popping it (probably because the housing is too heavy

i tried endless amount of tips on them

i went to buy some sony hybrids

i'm always in between the orange (s) and the green (m)

i also own the hifiman re400 and tried those stock m biflange tips
and the philips she3580 small tips

i find may its not just the turbines but the narrower the opening of the eartip say for example the hybrids or the monster tips their narrow compare to the philips and the hifiman the more it warms up the sound (theres bit more bass both sub and midbass) and some lower treble (making the mids feel a bit recessed) just a bit

personally i like it with the re400s eartips (they tone down the bass, and lemme tell you these things really do bring the bass, so losing a bit was fine by me, and open the mids and even extend the treble ) but those are for my re400s so i can't keep taking them on and off.

i settled with the sony hybrids orange (s) because i already have my re400s for neutral, close to analytical and transparent sound

i got these monster turbines for its thick and bassy sound ( its a very nice quality subbass emphasis too, not that punchy midbass thats found in most consumer "bassy" headphones, that try to get away with huge spike in midbass and no extension) these things extend very well down there. very nice indeed 

and very nice treble (it has good extension) not as much as my re400s it extends well without siblance or any harshness ! GREAT job monster!! i had klipsch s4 (not a good comparison but its a "bassy" v shape iem (huge midbass hump and not much extension after that,plus that midbass covers up a lot of the low end) and the treble was a mess imo (it lacks control and its harsh) though the sound signature was fast indeed but it was peaky in the treble that irritated me after a while

so glad monster avoided that!

the mids are nice and natural, i think it was pretty much left alone from the bass. it was not bad for vocal-based music especially male vocalists, female was a bit better but not great. I can still listen to the music but was not enjoying the power and the oomph from the vocalists as compare to my re400s. it was imo neither especially dry or liquid sound imo. just above average imo

but very good and its fast! i heard faster sound signatures before but its good!

personally as i said earlier i would tone down some bass, so that the mids can open up a bit more. I like my bass but maybe just 1-3 db down from the bass will allow the mids to open a bit more. (this is only if the turbines were my only iem and i need it as an all rounder. 

as it is with the sony hybrids which bump up some bass and treble, i find myself jamming away and bobbing my head. its addicting sound signature. something i don't do as often with my re400. (which sounds fantastic still, if i want to hear everything and yearn for some transparency like in vocal performances and more pop music)

i think this is what music is for! enjoyment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back