Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Oct 13, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #1,066 of 1,122
My turbines arrived 6 days before the ETA, I honestly could not be happier with the SQ, it is almost as good as my Ultrasone PRO550, but with a lesser soundstage. For $50 less than the PRO550 and being way more portable, I'd say the turbines are totally worth it. 
etysmile.gif

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #1,067 of 1,122
Got the refurbished ones today. Kind of surprise me with how overwhelming the bass was at first. It's settled down some so here's some quick observations.

1. A+ build quality for housing, D for cable
2. Bass doesn't bleed but still pretty overwhelming. Recessed mid seems to be the problem here.
3. Fits is a bit difficult at first, but as with most non-Westone product, eventually you find something that works. For me it's wearing it over ear(so the housing doesn't poke my ear and for the cable noise) with those 8 dollars Best Buy tips(forgot what they are called, black tip with different colored inner core)
4. So far seems to be a great Jazz/Hip-Hop/Trip-Hop phone, not so great for most mid range vocal focused music or overly complex composition. Does NOT work for Violin Sonatas...

For $55 I guess I can't complain too much. I haven't been up to date on newer IEMs for a couple years. But it used to be Soundmagic/lower end Yuin/other Chinese company IEM category(I don't even think you can get a Klipsch Image S4 for that money), and I've had either build quality issues or fitting issues with them. Always wanted to try the normal Turbine. I'd say from memory that I prefer the normal Turbine over the Turbine Pro Gold I had a couple years ago. That phone was more balanced and probably technically better but it lack soul IMO. The normal Turbine works great with some music and while unnatural with some music it's tolerable. There might be $55 phones that's better all arounders, but Turbine is an exciting alternative for non-critical listening and you probably shouldn't dissect music with $55 headphones anyway.

Just went back to my HD600 and the difference in clarity is a bit too staggering for me. I'm going to let this burn in for a couple more days and re-evaluate. On one hand I don't remember many phones around $50 sounding terribly great, on the other hand the Monster doesn't really hold a candle against the Senn.

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #1,068 of 1,122
@playingwithfire, just curious, what model did you get from the outlet store? did you get the one with the improved strain reliefs and 90 angle plug? or the previous model with the straight plug and poop strain reliefs?

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #1,069 of 1,122

Quote:
@playingwithfire, just curious, what model did you get from the outlet store? did you get the one with the improved strain reliefs and 90 angle plug? or the previous model with the straight plug and poop strain reliefs?

Straight plug and "poop" strain reliefs LOL. Is there a known audio difference?

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #1,070 of 1,122
Has anyone had experience with the Sennheiser CX 880s? How do the Monster Turbine's compare? I'm thinking of upgrading my CX 880s, looking for something with a bit more bass and a lot more isolation, the CX 880s just don't isolate. I was going to go for the IE series, probably IE6, but it seems like they don't isolate well either. 

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #1,071 of 1,122
Just got mine today, after ordering from Amazon (Fulfillment by Amazon). Brand new, sealed in the box.

Listening to them right now, and. . .without any doubts whatsoever, I have to say I am absolutely and completely blown away by the SQ of these. I was expecting something really good; I was not expecting anything this good. These are fantastic.

These absolutely have to be the best sounding IEs I have ever heard. I can't wait to get my Cowon iAudio 9, and see how they sound paired with that
tongue_smile.gif

Anyone else happen to have this combination (or anyone else ever heard how they sound together)?

Wonder how these will sound after about 120 hours or so of burn-in. . .
wink_face.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,072 of 1,122
Is anyone else waiting for a replacement set from Monster?

I sent my Turbines to them in September and every time I call back they keep telling me that they expect stock within a few weeks. Obviously those few weeks have turned into months and still no headphones. What the heck is going on?

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #1,073 of 1,122
Does anyone else think they might be  making a new model/s? Especially with such drastic sales like $99.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #1,075 of 1,122
I received my replacement Turbine's today. They were shipped from Monster in Las Vegas, NV. It's too bad that the retail price for these is so low now otherwise I would sell them. Without even removing the plastic wrap I know these will eventually have driver flex as well.

Do you think using foam tips would reduce the severe suction that happens with the silicone tips in my ears?

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #1,076 of 1,122
How can I appreciate this after 15 days of gentle usage?
What should I do with it? Should I glue it? Should I send it back and take another 10 dollar post fees?

I had TURBINE they broke. I have COPPERs, they just broke. I don't know why I am not having luck with Monster

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #1,077 of 1,122
Can someone on here please give me your best recommendation for a great tip compatible for use with these Turbines, so I don't have to sift through all 71 pages of this thread to find a clue?

I am presently using Comply 400 Tx (small size, I think). I would like to know if there is anything better for use with these.

Thank you.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #1,079 of 1,122

Quote:
Sony Hybrids work great on them.

Very Cool, I'll have to check them out, then.

Thanks!!

The Comply's aren't necessarily bad, I was just wanting to know if there was anything better is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back