Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Dec 23, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #871 of 1,122
Hi All, I'm a noob. I never really thought that a forum like this exists until recently. i came from a mdr-v600 i got back in '02 then it finally gave up and thought i could get away with a mdr-v150 i got at marshall's. apparently i had to crinch everytime i listened to it. So I was looking for non-mainstream headphones because everybody had the beats and it looked blingy to me and found the german maestro 435s at fry's and bought it a couple of weeks ago. now i saw the turbines on sale at amazon so i had to snatch it too.

I am by no means an expert or would call myself as knowledgeable so bear with me.

with the turbines, i found comfort in the small round tips. better than the iems i have owned before. ive had the vmoda faze and the one from creative labs that came with the dell xps. for the sound, there is definitely bass. a lot of bass. highs and vocals are good too. if i were to describe it, they are very aggressive. it reminds me of the sony mini component back in the 90s. compared to my german maestros, the german maestros are more mellow with a very good transition of sounds( if that's the best way to describe it.) the turbines produce a very good sound though, it is just a different animal.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #873 of 1,122
mine actually has the one pictured on the box except that it has fewer black lines. probably because it is not the microphone version.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #874 of 1,122
Thanks for the answer, hopefully the fit will be good, but until they arrive I guess I'll just have to wait
Anyone else commenting on if they are suitable to rock or not? would hate to have to return them... at least amazon's return policy is usually good. Those first impressions were scary... I don't hear too much hiphop (5% if any...)

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #877 of 1,122
Mine came with a right angle plug, no Y slider, and a non-functioning right earphone. Yay.  The left sounded nice, strong bass especially.  I'm looking forward to receiving a working pair...

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #879 of 1,122
So I got a replacement due to missing accessories.
These were in a slightly different package, but these had the right angle connector as opposed to my original straight connector.  No return shipping label was included so now I have to wait for them to mail me a stupid label since I don't have a printer.

Ridiculous.

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #880 of 1,122
on another thread someone said that the amazon deal turbines have updated packaging boxes but the cables are old.  apparently you can get monster to replace the old pair sometimes in feb 2011...worth a phone call to monster to see what the deal is so you can get updated cables.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #881 of 1,122
Maybe I'm getting OCD from listening to my imbalanced Meelec M9's but I swear my new Turbines have the same issue. It sounds like vocals are more pronounced on the right speaker. If I switch them around the vocals become louder on the left so it must be the headphones. I have tried my iPod and my computer and the results are the same.

I also received a pair with the straight jack and spindly stalk supports. I emailed Monster to see what they say because what is on the box is NOT what I received.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #882 of 1,122

Quote:
Maybe I'm getting OCD from listening to my imbalanced Meelec M9's but I swear my new Turbines have the same issue. It sounds like vocals are more pronounced on the right speaker. If I switch them around the vocals become louder on the left so it must be the headphones. I have tried my iPod and my computer and the results are the same.

I also received a pair with the straight jack and spindly stalk supports. I emailed Monster to see what they say because what is on the box is NOT what I received.

Good luck with a response from them.

I e-mailed them two days ago, no response.  So I called.  4 times.  Sat on hold 15 minutes a piece.  Finally talked to the operator who said they can't take my phone number and call me when they had a slot.  Waited 20 more minutes and finally got someone.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #883 of 1,122

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck with a response from them.

I e-mailed them two days ago, no response.  So I called.  4 times.  Sat on hold 15 minutes a piece.  Finally talked to the operator who said they can't take my phone number and call me when they had a slot.  Waited 20 more minutes and finally got someone.

Yeah, I got the same thing. The "stress relief less" from the initial turbines that weren't on the current box. However, I am taking into account that I got them for the low $59. We'll see how this goes. For now, as long as I don't do anything stupid with them or anything dumb happens with them, I'm good.

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #884 of 1,122
Mine has a right-angle connector. I just bought mine. I'm thinking you have new box, old unit.
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone else notice that on the side of the box it says "Right Angle Connector" when it actually has a straight connector? 

And that it doesn't have the Y slider dealy, yep.

Apparently these are new packages and ours are old units (or maybe it's the other way around, who knows).

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #885 of 1,122
So, when I got home from work my turbines were waiting for me. First impression right out of the box was that they were beautiful. As for the sound I had to fight against the fitting... I could not even put the ones that came in... The smaller ones seem to seal without hurting although they are almost too big... I must have really small canals... the sound seems pretty good and I am hoping for an improvement with a bit of settling or burn in or placebo effect or whatever it is XD... Anyway I am pretty happy with the bass response, punchy but nor overwhelming,  at least for the styles I have tried.. Highs and mids seem to be there... I will post a review once the have matured a bit...
Now talking about fit, as I said the small single flanges are almost too big... I have read about the hybrid clones being very confortable, anyone knows if the smaller hybrids are the same size as the small monsters or a bit smaller? Of course any other suggestion for small ear canals will be welcomed
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back