Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Dec 21, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #856 of 1,122

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
comply and the Monster foam supertips work pretty well. I've also heard many good things about the sony hybrid tips.  For me though, nothing beats the fit of the triple flange tips that come with the earphones.

The comply buds will definitely NOT work. Apparently once the sweat gets soaked in, the foam buds go bad pretty quick. Have you tried jogging/running with those triple flange tips? I get the feeling that due to the heavyness of the Turbines, no tips/buds will keep them in.

Not in my case, though my ears don't usually get that sweaty. The foam supertips also have this coating on them that prevents them from getting too sweaty or dirty.  And yes, I've gone jogging with the turbines many times and I've had no fit problems, especially with the triple flange tips.  For me, it seems like no matter what, the triple flange tips stay in my ear canal.

Hhmmm. Well Amazon DOES have a 30 day return policy. I think I'll try it then. I think the trick is to find the right fit. If the tips that Monster provides don't fit my ears well, then they will never stay in, but if they do fit real snug, then it'll come out. I read one of the amazon reviews saying that they never stay in for running so he/she was probably having that issue.

I am different from you however because when I run hard I sweat a lot, especially in the summer. If it's cool out then not so much, but when it gets warm or hot I sweat like crazy.

Dec 21, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #857 of 1,122

[size=medium]

Quote:
I originally chose the Klipsch C2's over these a couple years ago because the C2's came out on sale for $50 less than the turbines, but I was never really satisfied with the C2s and wondered what these sound like.  You can't get a much better opportunity to try them than $59.

[/size]

a comparison would be nice. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #860 of 1,122
the turbines sound great but i'm hating the tips a lot.  they are very uncomfortable and they hurt my ears when inserting them.

i bought some sony hybrids to try for these.

how about you guys what tips would you suggest?

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #861 of 1,122

Quote:
the turbines sound great but i'm hating the tips a lot.  they are very uncomfortable and they hurt my ears when inserting them.

I've got this problem, too.  The Turbine tips either don't fit at all or do fit and hurt.  I was using my Thinksound Rain's large tips simply because they were comfortable, but they didn't sound great.  Then I remembered that I had a few pair of T-400s tucked away and viola--comfort and sound quality.  I hated the sound of the Comply's on the Thinksound, too warm and muddied, but they work well on the Monsters...and now it doesn't pain me to wear them.

I think I'll order a set of the Sony Hybrids just to give them a try as its only $8, but I'm more than happy with the Comply tips.    

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #862 of 1,122

Quote:
Quote:

I've got this problem, too.  The Turbine tips either don't fit at all or do fit and hurt.  I was using my Thinksound Rain's large tips simply because they were comfortable, but they didn't sound great.  Then I remembered that I had a few pair of T-400s tucked away and viola--comfort and sound quality.  I hated the sound of the Comply's on the Thinksound, too warm and muddied, but they work well Monsters...and now it doesn't pain me to wear them.

I think I'll order a set of the Sony Hybrids just to give them a try as its only $8, but I'm more than happy with the Comply tips.    

i heard good things about complies, and since they add a bit to the lower end, i'd probably love them since that's the sound signature i typically like.  i just hate the fact that you have to replace them regularly.  and since i'm wearing my iems to the gym, lifespan is probably gonna be killed even more.  i just think that it'll get too expensive.

although I do wish that i could try them too, but i don't wanna spend the $18 to get a 3 pack
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #863 of 1,122
I just ordered a pair of the turbines through the super cheap Amazon deal and like everyone, I am trying to decide what tips to get if the stock ones don't work for me.  So far people seem to be saying the comply t-400, sony hybrids, and the monster supertips are all good bets.  I read somewhere else on head-fi that the sennheiser bi-flange (not sure what the product name actually is though) are a good set of tips and that actually they expand the soundstage and bring up the mids, which from what I've read seem to be a little lacking in the turbines.  Also, shure olives don't seem to fit them right? 

So does anyone have experience with the senn bi-flange tips? If so, what's the product name so I can find them

Also, what's the difference in isolation and soundstage with all of these different tips?

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #864 of 1,122
Anyone wanna trade me their large tips for 2 pairs of medium?  I got 3 pairs of medium tips, a small pair, and then the large / small triflange.  Second time I've ordered headphones from Amazon and second time the package is incorrect.

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #865 of 1,122

I would suggest the Meelec M11+ tip kit. You get a short biflange that's reported to be almost the same as the senns and you get other varieties including a standard biflange tip that works really well ime
Quote:
I just ordered a pair of the turbines through the super cheap Amazon deal and like everyone, I am trying to decide what tips to get if the stock ones don't work for me.  So far people seem to be saying the comply t-400, sony hybrids, and the monster supertips are all good bets.  I read somewhere else on head-fi that the sennheiser bi-flange (not sure what the product name actually is though) are a good set of tips and that actually they expand the soundstage and bring up the mids, which from what I've read seem to be a little lacking in the turbines.  Also, shure olives don't seem to fit them right? 

So does anyone have experience with the senn bi-flange tips? If so, what's the product name so I can find them

Also, what's the difference in isolation and soundstage with all of these different tips?

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #866 of 1,122
Hi all,
New in this forum, but I have been reading recently because I wanted to upgrade my headphones. I was thinking in getting the new nu force 700x (still thinking about it) and I also thought about the sehnn HD555 but the 3m cable and huge jack turned me off.. I will mostly use them for my ipod, as for home I prefer speakers. In the end I ended picking up the Monster Turbines on the Amazon deal... just couldn´t say no 
biggrin.gif

Now I have some doubts, this is the first IEM that I will have. Until now I was using some Sehnnheiser mx500, there is something about sealing my canals that I was not too happy about
frown.gif
I think I will never wear Etys... 
Any advice or thing that I should know before I hate them and try to return them? Fit wise... I know this is important. How should it feel? so I know I am getting the right sound before disliking them...
How does burn-in time affect to this particular set? When did you notice the change? Are they fine enough out of the box to hear them directly and let the burn in happen naturally?
Isolation wise, will this block plane and public transport noise?
How well do they hold to rock music? I hear 60%rock, 30%pop, 10%others
Thanks!!

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #867 of 1,122
I have bad news. I've been listening to them for 5ish hours now. I can't get the fit right anymore and it is not rock strong. The highs are to recessed, the mids and lows are strong and smooth. You will feel every bass kick. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #868 of 1,122

Quote:
I would suggest the Meelec M11+ tip kit. You get a short biflange that's reported to be almost the same as the senns and you get other varieties including a standard biflange tip that works really well ime

thanks for the suggestion!  do you know how well these do in terms of isolation?  that's my only hesitation with silicon based tips rather than foam.

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #869 of 1,122
Initial Impression(~5 Hours Use)

I was sitting around bored this morning, and I hear a ring on the doorbell. Who can this be ? Open up and here is the UPS guy, I found myself smileing.

Packaging
The packaging is nothing short of splendid. It comes in a nice magnetic seal box with a cool slip over it. Opening it up, you see a bold 1 page booklet with "A Message from The Head Monster". Past the booklet, you find a nice soft pouch and a hard pouch for carying the headphones and the headphones themselves. The small soft pouch is made of a nice felt, has the Monster name all over it with the words "Life is to short to listen to bad headphones", and is a snap close(Two flexable peiecs that at rest stretch out and keep a straight shape, snapping it closed). Overall a really nice pouch. The hard pouch is leather with read kniting, It's a magnetic point heal and it has a Nice Monster Turbine seal ontop. Really nice, but your not reading this to hear about the pouches. Removing the plastic, you find a baggie two different triple flange tip, One smaller one bigger, the smaller triple flange reaches deeper into your ear and a shirt clip. There is another baggie containing a pair of Small, Medium and Large size tips(Not couting the Medium size on the IEMs). Underneath you find silica gel and lots of very nice small booklets for safe listening, instructions, reviews, etc. Every audio company can learn from this packaging. It is nothing short of amazing and has great advertisement so it can easily catch a buyers eye.

Build Quality
Like the packaging, the build quality is amazing. The IEMs themselves are made of high quality metals and really nicely cut. This does make them a little on the heavy side but it doesn't make them uncomfortable. The IEMs look amazing and will catch people's eyes. They have have clear labels for left and right and left has a blue line and right has a read line. The cable is soft and rubber and is durable. The connector and Y splitter have metal in the, giving them a nice sturdy feeling and a nice touch. The one flaw I see is the cable point where the cable goes into the IEMs, it is rubber so after lots of abuse this might cause problems. That's just a small nitpick and if you take care of your IEMs then you should be fine. Monster is really setting a high standard for packaging and build quality but what about performance ?

Isolation
They isolate just like any other headphones, they are silicone tips and have a variety of sizes for everyone to choose. The triple flanges of cource seal the best, but I found the small triple flanges go very deep into your ear and they wouldn't isolate correctly on my left ear. You should be able to use any tips that you have for your Ultimate Ears older universal(Studio.Fi 3, Triple.Fi 10, Super.Fi 5 EB). I do this test using the medium size tips, larger triple flange and my UE medium size. The UE matching my ears the best.

Performance
My testing setup consists mostly of my Rockbox'd iPod 5G with a little use of my Sony Home Theater Speaker amp and my Dell Latoptop, which has a strong nice amp(I don't know why). A lot of the music I tested with was in FLAC quality with some MP3s in 320kbps or LAME V2.

Dubstep(Most UKF Dubstep tracks and their 2010 album, check out their Soundcloud)
I bought these so I could enjoy dubstep. I was quite wrong. The bass quantity is really high with strong mids but the highs where hidden. They also have limited soundstage, even amplified, did not fair well with the different sounds. They do show a lot of bass detail but not as much as my DBA-02s(On their Bass Setting). They the bass feels a lot like my Studio.Fi 3s but with a lot more of a kick. The amount had me reaching for my EQ settings. I have found that some really high frequencies to seem to crackle a little bit, more than they do on my DBA-02s and a lot more than on my Studio.Fi 3s.

Aloe Blacc(FLAC, new soul singer)
These IEMs faired really well with Soul. They sound very natural and smooth and this albums low and mid frequency instruments really play out well for the songs but the hidden highs have me messing with EQ setting to have his voice louder and more in play.

Louis Armstrong(FLAC)
Here I find how smooth the mids and lows really are. Louies low voice let him present himself nicely in the mids on the Turbines and the Turbines have very nice mids. Any trumpet play was smooth, it seemed like the Turbines took away the harsh sound in the trumpets while in my DBA-02s, their crisp detail makes the trumpets really harsh. The Turbines are definetly smoother than my Studio.Fi 3s and definetly smoother than my DBA-02s. 

ACDC(FLAC, Black In Black Album)
The smooth presentation and hidden mids take away from the vocals. They have a little less texture than my Super.Fi 3s and a lot loss than my DBA-02s, but this is my DBA-02s strongpoint. You will pick up every bass drum due to the bass quantity, I find this is a nice detail I don't have on my DBA-02s and my Super.Fis. Again, I find the very highs crackle a little bit. I do not recomended for Rock fans.

Rap/Hip-Hop/Pop
These headphones will make an average high school listener happy. The bass and mids make this catagory shine and these songs don't require much soundstage. In the Kesha test, they produce a nice sound overall. Again the highs a little crackled but the bass gave her a songs more impact. The smoothness of these headphones doesn't give the harsh abrupt stop in tone my DBA-02s have. When listening to Black and Yellow by Wiz Khalifa, these headphones really shined. Everything played out nicely, even with the electronic sounds. The mids and smoothness where represented nicely and the bass had all the kick it needed. I found the same result in a lot of rap and pop songs.

Weird Situation
I found bliss in these headphones at one point today, when I was in the car. I got my left ear to isolate right and I just could not get isolate correctly. For some reason, this gave me a balanced sound, not to strong of a bass, clearer highs and a nice sound. Expecially on older songs, "I will survive" and "Life is a Highway". I'm not saying you should keep one ear isolated and one ear half isolated all the time, I'm just telling you how I found bliss.

My Thoughts
Monster did a good job on the build of the headphones. They went with the concept of bigger is better. Yes, this produced a nice bass quantity and nice mids but since the driver is bigger but the soundstage got smaller and highs are hard to reproduce. Maybe with more proper amplification, they could shine but how many people walk around with protable amps ? I may test this theory when I finish my Mini^3 but I don't plan to keep these long. I have also found that with more burn in and the placebo effect, the bass calms down a bit showing the smoothness in the headphones. The mids in these headphones in something to look for but their high and low representation is something to dread. These headphones could have a lot of potential with just brighter highs and a greater soundstage.

Conclusion
The Monster Turbines have great packaging and build quality, some of the best I have seen yet. Their performance falls a little short of this. They produce nice smooth mids and lows which could have made me happy but the hidden highs, small soundstage and overpowering bass quantity turn me away. These are headphones for an average high school student that listens to a lot of Hip-Hop/Rap/Pop with a little outside of this general catagory. At the price I got them for (~60$), buy them now. I would spend no more that 100$ on these, and their current price ~140$ I do not think they are worth it.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #870 of 1,122

Quote:
Anyone wanna trade me their large tips for 2 pairs of medium?  I got 3 pairs of medium tips, a small pair, and then the large / small triflange.  Second time I've ordered headphones from Amazon and second time the package is incorrect.

i have the same set too.  a pair of small and 3 pairs of medium looking tips.  although i did try them all and it seems like a pair of those medium ones is a bit larger than the other mediums because I couldn't fit them in.

Quote:
Hi all,
New in this forum, but I have been reading recently because I wanted to upgrade my headphones. I was thinking in getting the new nu force 700x (still thinking about it) and I also thought about the sehnn HD555 but the 3m cable and huge jack turned me off.. I will mostly use them for my ipod, as for home I prefer speakers. In the end I ended picking up the Monster Turbines on the Amazon deal... just couldn´t say no 
biggrin.gif

Now I have some doubts, this is the first IEM that I will have. Until now I was using some Sehnnheiser mx500, there is something about sealing my canals that I was not too happy about
frown.gif
I think I will never wear Etys... 
Any advice or thing that I should know before I hate them and try to return them? Fit wise... I know this is important. How should it feel? so I know I am getting the right sound before disliking them...
How does burn-in time affect to this particular set? When did you notice the change? Are they fine enough out of the box to hear them directly and let the burn in happen naturally?
Isolation wise, will this block plane and public transport noise?
How well do they hold to rock music? I hear 60%rock, 30%pop, 10%others
Thanks!!

i'm not an expert, but personally for me, a good fit is when you can barely hear outside speech (annoys the hell out of my girlfriend when i don't hear her because i have iems on) while not having the feeling of having something jammed in your ear.  for me it should have the "you don't feel it's there" feeling about three minutes into wearing them.

isolation wise, the ones i've had so far (cheapo skullcandys) won't block out plane noise, probably won't block out train noise, but they're good enough that I can barely car noise when i'm in a car. I would guess other single flange silicon tips would work the same.  not sure about double or tri flange or foam tips though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back