Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Sep 27, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #751 of 1,122
I used the MT as my daily portable(walking to school, bus/subway, very normal things really). I found when the jack was in my jeans pocket, it got bent, and then as the cable curved past a certain point, the sound started going in the left driver (this happened twice, takes around 2 months to start curving that much and then die).

I always put them back in the included carrying case, the only 'abuse' i have had with them is when i have to start sprinting to catch a bus/subway. I'm going to go claim my warranty soon and hopefully the third pair will survive much better.

PS: good job kwkarth, you wanna share how you were able to keep your Turbines alive for that long?

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #752 of 1,122
Oh gosh, I am so tempted to get the Sennheiser IE8 with its infrequent ~$250 sales.
Since I already own the Turbine, can anyone talk me out of getting the IE8?

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #753 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the guarantee is the best part - 3 years. i have heard of quite a few break downs, but since the guarantee is so good (and maybe some improvements under the hood), it might be fine. personally, i think they are worthwhile.

Are you referring to the Turbines or is the above out of context?

I just bought some turbines and according to the retailer, and my Monster owners manual, the warranty is one year?

Thanks for any clarification.

Shane D

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #754 of 1,122
Hi everyone, I'm a noob who's choosing between the Klipsch Image S4 and the Turbines. After reading few sources, I heard that these two offer similar sound (please give me advice about this
smily_headphones1.gif
) and I'm leaning toward the Turbine because they offer a much better build quality. But there are also lots of people said that the bass of them overweight the average treble and mids too much. Can you guys give me some info about this? Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #755 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh gosh, I am so tempted to get the Sennheiser IE8 with its infrequent ~$250 sales.
Since I already own the Turbine, can anyone talk me out of getting the IE8?

if the turbine was made as well as the ie8 (minus the changeable cable, i don't like that), i would take the turbine if they were the same price. but, as they are if they were same price, i might prefer the ie8 which will probably last longer. for sound, it is up to you of course, but i really prefer the more laid back turbine which lacks the plastic sound of the ie8

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #756 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ductrung3993 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone, I'm a noob who's choosing between the Klipsch Image S4 and the Turbines. After reading few sources, I heard that these two offer similar sound (please give me advice about this
smily_headphones1.gif
) and I'm leaning toward the Turbine because they offer a much better build quality. But there are also lots of people said that the bass of them overweight the average treble and mids too much. Can you guys give me some info about this? Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know about S4, but Turbine definitely does not have very good build quality. The cables are pretty thin, and doesn't have strain relief. Some people have reported having to get it fixed two~three times already. Take a look at the new Turbine Pro - it's much more expensive, but many of Pro's visible changes can at least show you where original Turbine is fragile in build.

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #757 of 1,122
Quote:

if the turbine was made as well as the ie8 (minus the changeable cable, i don't like that), i would take the turbine if they were the same price. but, as they are if they were same price, i might prefer the ie8 which will probably last longer. for sound, it is up to you of course, but i really prefer the more laid back turbine which lacks the plastic sound of the ie8

Thanks shigzeo.
Sounds like there was a little buyer's remorse for IE8.
The search for my "perfect" IEM continues.....

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #758 of 1,122
Quote:

I don't know about S4, but Turbine definitely does not have very good build quality. The cables are pretty thin, and doesn't have strain relief. Some people have reported having to get it fixed two~three times already. Take a look at the new Turbine Pro - it's much more expensive, but many of Pro's visible changes can at least show you where original Turbine is fragile in build.

Thanks a lot for the reply
wink.gif
Yes I have heard about the cable problem but did fixing it the responsibility of monster?

And my budget is < $100 so the S4 and the Turbine are my top 2 choices. Can you describe the Turbine's sound quality for me? I heard lots of people saying that they are too bassy and the trebles and mids are just above average.
Thanks!

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #759 of 1,122
Quote:

Thanks shigzeo.
Sounds like there was a little buyer's remorse for IE8.
The search for my "perfect" IEM continues.....

actually, I am quite lucky: CN11 was kind enough to let me borrow them for about a month. While I wanted to like them, their mid bass was too harsh. I won't even get into burn in. For me, they are too energetic an earphone.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #760 of 1,122
Hi i have a question about these.

I looked athe frequency graph and it's WONDERFUL in the lows!!!! Ok now for the question (that was my "appreciaton")

Do they go in your ear "canal"? I have a pair of Shure E2C's and they just sit in your ear they don't have to be shoved into your ear canal like my super.fi 5eb's taht you have to twist and rock back and forth to get it inside your ear and they are curved in a way so they go in your ear like that.

From the picture I see of the Turbines, they don't appear that you have to force them (or that they are meant to) go literally inside your ear canal. They seem straight.

Am I correct?

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #761 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by musik_lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi i have a question about these.

I looked athe frequency graph and it's WONDERFUL in the lows!!!! Ok now for the question (that was my "appreciaton")

Do they go in your ear "canal"? I have a pair of Shure E2C's and they just sit in your ear they don't have to be shoved into your ear canal like my super.fi 5eb's taht you have to twist and rock back and forth to get it inside your ear and they are curved in a way so they go in your ear like that.

From the picture I see of the Turbines, they don't appear that you have to force them (or that they are meant to) go literally inside your ear canal. They seem straight.

Am I correct?

They are an IEM too, so yes the tip has to be put into your ear canal for the seal. Looks like the way you are wearing the E2c isn't proper as if they just sit in your ear, that means you're not getting that seal. The E2c, SF5EB, and Turbine are all suppose to be worn so the tips sit in your canal to form that seal despite the way of putting them on.

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #762 of 1,122
Oct 14, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #763 of 1,122
Quote:

I compared Turbine's frequency response at headphone.com with some other bass monsters.
=1343&graphID[]=1443&graphID[]=1333&graphID[]=593]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=593

The plots actually all look somewhat similar.
What surprised me most was how Skullcandy Titan is similar to Turbine in the plots.
But what actually make all these phones sound differently in real listening? Fit? Seal?

Just because the response is the same, doesn't meant he representation is. The quality and how a driver/IEM reproduces a frequency differs. Just because two monitors go from 20Hz to 20kHZ doesn't mean that both perform the ends of the spectrum the same, where as one could have no problem with 20Hz where the other struggles for 15Hz, but occasionally has that peak as 20Hz. Fit, Seal, design also contributes to the altering of the sound say longer soundtube, width of soundtube, filter used and so on.

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #765 of 1,122
Quote:

Yes, Monster, one of Headfi's least favourite companies outed a great earphone: Monster Turbine. They have heaps of competition from higher and lower priced products but outperform many of my former favourites.

Why? The bass does not have the typical bleed that is characteristic of underdriven dynamic phones. It remains nimble in the treble and technical and clean in the mids.

At 150$ there is no inner earphone that to my knowledge is housed completely in high quality metals: brass and aluminium. Everything about the phone reeks of quality with the exception of strain reliefs on the headphone jack and an overly energetic cable that needs restrainers to stay quiet.

Sound = Fab
Looks = Fab but bordering on bling
Packaging = Unequalled this side of 300$

Are they the best? I don't think anyone expects them to be the best, but for an engaging listen that is non-fatiguing yet detailed and lively, I am unconvinced that for the price, there is a better phone on the market.

I hope this thread will pick up steam as these phones deserve a dedicated thread that is not timid because of the Monster name.

Thank you Monster for making such a great earphone!
Please send me links to reviews that you have found to be helpful and I will try to update this title thread with those reviews.

do the monster turbines have more bass than the ue superfi 5 eb,, probably not but ia m super curious
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back