Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Sep 26, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #736 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by masamune9210 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So from what I'm reading here, the redesign is bad in the sense that they jut out of your ear more, thus lowering the quality of the seal; does that mean it's less suitable for subway usage now?

I totally agree with you dC0m, it is sad that a CABLE company can't get the cables on their IEMs right. The wire needs to be thicker, more durable and less microphonic. Hopefully Monster will fix this in a future revision of the Turbines(though it is highly unlikely)

Also, does the new box look the same as the old one?

There was NO change in the length of the ear tube. They do not "jut" out more than the original. They're identical in that respect.

WRT the cable design... A great deal of effort was spent on the cable design. Although not perfect, all of the values of performance, durability, aesthetic design, look, feel in hand, flexibility, and durability were all carefully considered.

The microphonics issues were a trade off between tangle resistance microphonics, and durability. So, again, while it's not perfect, all the right factors were considered. What might be considered ideal by one, may be anathema to another. IMO, the biggest lack is in proper strain relief.

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #737 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the biggest lack is in proper strain relief.

Could you explain this term? I have no idea what it means and I am looking at getting these soon. Just listen to rock and NOT an audiophile.

Thanks!

Shane D

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #738 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you explain this term? I have no idea what it means and I am looking at getting these soon. Just listen to rock and NOT an audiophile.

Thanks!

Shane D

Shane,
Strain relief that we're referring to here is a mechanical issue and has nothing to do with sound. The cable where it enters the headphone, enters the Y, where it enters the plug, is subject to a lot of mechanical strain as it bends back and forth at those entry points. Strain relief is typically provided by an elastic collar or bushing around the cable at those entry points to support and protect it from being too sharply bent.

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #739 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shane,
Strain relief that we're referring to here is a mechanical issue and has nothing to do with sound. The cable where it enters the headphone, enters the Y, where it enters the plug, is subject to a lot of mechanical strain as it bends back and forth at those entry points. Strain relief is typically provided by an elastic collar or bushing around the cable at those entry points to support and protect it from being too sharply bent.

Thanks for the reply! So does that mean that they will likely not hold up over time?

Shane D

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #740 of 1,122
Quote:

Thanks for the reply! So does that mean that they will likely not hold up over time?

Shane D

It depends on how you handle you MTs. If you abuse them like I do, they're not going to last more than 3-4 months before a replacement..

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #743 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by dC0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on how you handle you MTs. If you abuse them like I do, they're not going to last more than 3-4 months before a replacement..

By abuse do you just mean pulling them out by the wires?
Wow, 3 to 4 months is not much for a $129.00 set of buds.
eek.gif

Shane D

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #744 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the guarantee is the best part - 3 years. i have heard of quite a few break downs, but since the guarantee is so good (and maybe some improvements under the hood), it might be fine. personally, i think they are worthwhile.

How long have yours' lasted? May be not be a fair question since you seem to have TONS of sets.
wink.gif

How often do you use your MT's?

Shane D

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #745 of 1,122
I use my MT as my daily portable. I usually wear it whenever I'm on the bus or when I'm not busy during my day. I'm not tugging on it and stuff but sometimes it does get caught in random places and that tugs on the wire a bit.

I also wear it under my shirt and leave the connector and source in my pocket which could be the reason for sound going iout due to constant bending.

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #747 of 1,122
Sep 27, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #749 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by dC0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my MT as my daily portable. I usually wear it whenever I'm on the bus or when I'm not busy during my day. I'm not tugging on it and stuff but sometimes it does get caught in random places and that tugs on the wire a bit.

I also wear it under my shirt and leave the connector and source in my pocket which could be the reason for sound going iout due to constant bending.

And would you call that abuse?

Shane D

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #750 of 1,122
Quote:

And would you call that abuse?

Shane D

Depends on how you define Quote:

sometimes it does get caught in random places and that tugs on the wire a bit.

and Quote:

I also wear it under my shirt and leave the connector and source in my pocket which could be the reason for sound going out due to constant bending.

So how severe are the "tugs?" How severe is the "constant bending?"

I can tell you that these cables and connection points are actually life tested with thousands of bending cycles with actual weights hanging off the cables while under test. So how severe is severe?

When I say that I am careful with my gear, does careful mean the same thing to you as it does to me? Who knows? I still have my original Turbines which were built in October of '08. They still work great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back