Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Sep 10, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #691 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by lnvisible /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have also found some stores selling the CKS70 on eBay for about $110 shipped. Is this a good deal, and are they legit?

I have no idea. I personally like to buy from people I know.

Listen, out of respect for the OP (original poster) we should take this conversation to a thread for this discussion. Why don't you start one?

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #692 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comply™ foam fittings for Monster :

Which ever fits your ear. The larger the size, the longer the eartip so the more you'll have to cut the tip back to keep from obscuring the HF. This is somewhat dependent upon the convolutions of your ear canal too. If the first bend it fairly close to your outer ear, it's that bend that tends to fold over the tip of the T400, and that's the part you have to trim back.

Got my Comply T-400's (Medium size) and even though I'm sure I had a good fit with the small round plugs that came with the Turbines, this is a definite improvement in both fit and seal. Doesn't seem to me that I have a problem with highs being obscured either.

It could be part that my Turbines are getting burnt in, but the overall sound is more balanced now. Bass is also more solid, making the really deep notes sound more like coming from a real subwoofer. I'm liking these guys more and more
normal_smile .gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #693 of 1,122
I'm sorry to hijack this thread a little, but I was just about to splurge on the turbines today for $150 +tax when I stopped and had second thoughts. Just a few questions, and I hope that you guys can really help me out here

1) are these things really worth $150? WHen i pay $150 I want to make sure that the cables will last me 4+ years, and this has been a major factor on my decision.
1.5) Should I just get the nuforce ne7m instead for a little less ($100, shipping incl.)?
2) can the ipod touch 1st gen. drive these phones well enough to hear the full impact of the bass, or would i need an amp (eg. fiio e5) to help with that?
3) Do the shure olives fit on the turbines? As well, what are some double flanged silicone tips that I could use? I would like to get the complys but I just won't have the money to keep replacing them every month + the shipping costs (stupid canada...grumble grumble...
tongue_smile.gif
)

Any help/advice given will be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #694 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by apparitionofdirt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry to hijack this thread a little, but I was just about to splurge on the turbines today for $150 +tax when I stopped and had second thoughts. Just a few questions, and I hope that you guys can really help me out here

1) are these things really worth $150? WHen i pay $150 I want to make sure that the cables will last me 4+ years, and this has been a major factor on my decision.
1.5) Should I just get the nuforce ne7m instead for a little less ($100, shipping incl.)?
2) can the ipod touch 1st gen. drive these phones well enough to hear the full impact of the bass, or would i need an amp (eg. fiio e5) to help with that?
3) Do the shure olives fit on the turbines? As well, what are some double flanged silicone tips that I could use? I would like to get the complys but I just won't have the money to keep replacing them every month + the shipping costs (stupid canada...grumble grumble...
tongue_smile.gif
)

Any help/advice given will be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Though I take care of my Turbine fairly well, I still get nervous when I wrap the cables up to put in its storage pouch - the cables just feel too thin.
If you worry as easily as I do, then I suggest hold off. Wait and see if the Turbine Pro's cables are any better, and then buy when there's a sale or 2nd hand.
Comply T-400 fits Turbine, so I don't think Shure olives would fit without some modding. My comply foams usually last me half year or more.

Sep 20, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #695 of 1,122
You can get Turbines for $107 shipped from a guy named hi-end-wholesale on eBay. That's where I got mine.

And Comply T400s fit the Turbines. I would recommend getting those due to the fact that I can't even tell anything is in my ears with them.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #696 of 1,122
The cables are very fragile, you have to take good care of them. I wrapped mine up and put it in the included carrying pouch every time after use and they died on me in two months(the two pairs I had both died in two months). Btw, they never snagged on anything.
They sound great when they're still alive and kicking, but when they die out, it sucks. Also, regular cleaning of the vent over the opening is recommended, don't want too much earwax blocking your sound.
I use an old creative zen and the turbines were driven just fine straight out of the HP out (though I'm shopping for a replacement for my zen like mad).
If you're really that concerned about the wire durability, I suggest you either find a way to increase the strain relief on the cable or wait for the turbine pros.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #698 of 1,122
Finally got my Turbines back from Monster. After 2 weeks of emailing back and forth, I finally got a new set from them. New Box (cheaper, unlike the original magnetic one..), new pouch, and a revision MT?!?! Here's some pics and IIRC, it looks like the MT Pro without the Gold trim (I can't even make out the Gold trimming on the MT Pro picture..)
DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

I must say, each time I return my MT to Monster and when I get a new pair, there's always a new revision. This time, there's printing (the exact printing..) on the MT speaker itself which very much resembles the MT Pro. Cable relief has slightly been improved on the Y-Split (the problem is NOT completely fixed, but much better from the original one I had) and now there's a bit more print on the connector (it says Monster Turbine now, not just Monster..).

I also noticed the 3 year warranty on the box.. whereas my original MT only warrant for 1 year IIRC..

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #699 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by dC0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must say, each time I return my MT to Monster and when I get a new pair, there's always a new revision. This time, there's printing (the exact printing..) on the MT speaker itself which very much resembles the MT Pro. Cable relief has slightly been improved on the Y-Split (the problem is NOT completely fixed, but much better from the original one I had) and now there's a bit more print on the connector (it says Monster Turbine now, not just Monster..).

I also noticed the 3 year warranty on the box.. whereas my original MT only warrant for 1 year IIRC..

Great pix.
Can you take a picture of the Y-split and strain relief at the phones?

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #700 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great pix.
Can you take a picture of the Y-split and strain relief at the phones?

No problem, here it is:
DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

As for the strain relief at the phones, I'm sure it's pictures in the set above^.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #701 of 1,122
looks like they're become more "black" i saw the packaging the other day in store. It's smaller and WAY cheaper compared to before....

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #702 of 1,122
The y-split looks the same as mine, which I suppose was made in 2008 according to the box. As for the phones themselves, yours have the red and blue bands wider but more recessed. And yours says Monster Turbine, whereas mine only says Monster.
Can't tell whether the strain relief on the phones are different, your fingers are in the shots unfortunately.....

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #703 of 1,122
Sorry kinda took the shots in a hurry. I agree with MaoDi, and the packaging is definitely WAY SMALLER and doesn't have that sturdy magnetic lock to it. Less Noel Lee quotes and more bragging about what the listeners are saying..

Another discovery:
I was giving them a test run (I went 2 weeks with my MT..) and found the tips that it came with wasn't a good enough seal so I decided to switch them out with some other tips I had (all were from previous Monster replacements). Once I switched out to some bigger tips, I noticed the "nozzle" changed. Instead of the tradition cylinder style nozzle, it now featured this:
DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

I know for sure, this is different as I didn't have the same nozzle on my previous 2 MTs.. MT Pro possibly? JK..

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #705 of 1,122
Those design changes were done back in December/January. Looks like it took it a while to work through distribution. They're good changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back