Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Sep 9, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #676 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem for me is that I don't honestly know of an IEM that plays lower or louder without distortion than the Turbines. I hope someone else can help. There must be something out there, but I don't know what it might be.
Maybe the Beats Tour? They have less mid and treble, and still have pretty good kink in the low end, but they don't go quite as low as the turbines. The turbines are flat to 20Hz. Everything else that I know if starts rolling off almost an octave higher or worse.
Anyone?

I'm thinking maybe that he's talking not about the really low end, since he was talking down tuned guitars. Could it be that he's missing out on the upper bass where you have the punch of a snare drum. I find the MT goes very low but not as punchy as my DT150's in the setup in my sig. Normally, people tell you the mids-highs are what's really important for metal - all to get that "in your face" quality. The MT highs should be good for that, being clean and fast, but the mids are less pronounced.

Oh well, what do I know?
beyersmile.png

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #677 of 1,122
Quote:

Actually, the T400 Comply foamies are more apropos for active wear ( more stable, more comfortable, better isolation, etc.) than any other type of eartip that I know.

Perfect, thank you so much. I saw another thread with good price on the Complys. I'm ready to give them a shot. Good to see that others have the same experience with the stock tips. Good that I don't have strange ears, not good that we have tips that don't work and have to shell out for others.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #678 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by lnvisible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I am getting a good seal. I forgot who and where, but someone sent me a link to a site that provides some mp3 files to test your seal, and mine was perfect.

I have to agree with the others the bass with proper seal is subwoofer level and I came to IEMs from the car stereo (in my youth) and Home theater worlds. I was quite surprised when I got my pair. To see if it's really an "upper bass" issue, find music with strong low end bass and verify it's quality on another speaker system capable of strong bass reproduction. Once you have a good track, play it on the Turbines.

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #679 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking maybe that he's talking not about the really low end, since he was talking down tuned guitars. Could it be that he's missing out on the upper bass where you have the punch of a snare drum. I find the MT goes very low but not as punchy as my DT150's in the setup in my sig. Normally, people tell you the mids-highs are what's really important for metal - all to get that "in your face" quality. The MT highs should be good for that, being clean and fast, but the mids are less pronounced.

Oh well, what do I know?
beyersmile.png

Waaay more than me about metal!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #680 of 1,122
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Just to clear some confusion, I'm looking for some IEMs that excel in the low range (meaning it picks up very clearly low tuned guitars, and possibly creates a vibration), and has pretty thumpy bass.

Again, I want this project of mine to be a collection of IEMs that all excel in different things. For this IEM choice, I just want something that does these two things (now I am NOT meaning in any chance that I want to have NO highs, no isolation, you know what I mean).

For example, watch this video for those who can:

YouTube - Low Tuned Guitar

If anyone knows anything about guitars, you know how deep a guitar can get if you do the proper tuning and play the E string a bit. At the beginning for example, you can clearly tell the vibration that goes on from the guitar sounding so low and creating a vibration.

Is there any IEMs that would be able to do this, and still sound at least decent categories?

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #681 of 1,122
Quote:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Just to clear some confusion, I'm looking for some IEMs that excel in the low range (meaning it picks up very clearly low tuned guitars, and possibly creates a vibration), and has pretty thumpy bass.

Again, I want this project of mine to be a collection of IEMs that all excel in different things. For this IEM choice, I just want something that does these two things (now I am NOT meaning in any chance that I want to have NO highs, no isolation, you know what I mean).

For example, watch this video for those who can:

YouTube - Low Tuned Guitar

If anyone knows anything about guitars, you know how deep a guitar can get if you do the proper tuning and play the E string a bit. At the beginning for example, you can clearly tell the vibration that goes on from the guitar sounding so low and creating a vibration.

Is there any IEMs that would be able to do this, and still sound at least decent categories?

Invisible,
The lowest practical frequency you could tune the E string on a guitar to would probably be E2 (82.41Hz) and a bass guitar to E1 (41.20Hz) Both frequencies are far above 20Hz. Most headphones and IEM's do not have much output at all below about 30Hz. the Turbine is flat all the way down to below 20Hz.
3666672072_e3983106e4.jpg

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #682 of 1,122
Ah, thanks for the in depth explanation karth.

Maybe I just have my standards too high. When I usually play with my friends, and we do breakdowns, the combination of all our amps, his guitar tuning, and the bass amp turned up a bit higher, the actual floor vibration it causes may have spoiled me.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Again, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but has anyone had some personal experience with FX500s? I have been looking at them a bit recently?

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #683 of 1,122
Sorry for the quick bump, but I have been viewing this thread some lately and have been studying it very carefully.

Through his investigations, it seems that the CKS70 and the FX500 are two IEMs I definitely would want to try out. The FX500 has an extremely low range, which plays a huge in drum bass songs I would believe, and the CKS70 combines the best aspects of them all and uses them pretty good.

I am now beginning my search for some used, or new (if I have enough money), for these two IEMs. I can't wait to try them out.

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #684 of 1,122
Good luck in your travels man!! I have a pair of the JVC and they sound nice, but they don't have anywhere near the bass capability of the MT's. Not even in the same ballpark. Now, I said that with a sample size of one. I bought them in Hong Kong last year, and there may be unit to unit variation, so who knows, but that looks like a nice thread you linked to, I'm gonna spend more time reading that one!

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #685 of 1,122
Well the main thing that draws me into the FX500 is the bass range, which is said to go extremely low and goes very far.

Also, just to clarify what that means and to make sure I know what I'm talking about, does the bass range mean how long the bass vibration stays and how well it picks up low beats?

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #686 of 1,122
Quote:

Well the main thing that draws me into the FX500 is the bass range, which is said to go extremely low and goes very far.

Also, just to clarify what that means and to make sure I know what I'm talking about, does the bass range mean how long the bass vibration stays and how well it picks up low beats?

The OP in the thread you linked to explained himself and said that to him, bass range meant how low it would go. I'm thinking, from reading between the lines that he's under the impression that the specs printed on the side of the box mean something. I can tell you that they do not. They're meaningless, and as I said, my pair of 500's do not have anywhere near the bass capability as the M.T's. I'll take the M.T any day over the FX500 for bass quality...for that matter, the whole spectrum. I think the FX500 is cool because the body is wood and the driver diaphragm is wood, but that doesn't mean they sound any better or worse than any other IEM's.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #687 of 1,122
Quote:

The OP in the thread you linked to explained himself and said that to him, bass range meant how low it would go. I'm thinking, from reading between the lines that he's under the impression that the specs printed on the side of the box mean something. I can tell you that they do not. They're meaningless, and as I said, my pair of 500's do not have anywhere near the bass capability as the M.T's. I'll take the M.T any day over the FX500 for bass quality...for that matter, the whole spectrum. I think the FX500 is cool because the body is wood and the driver diaphragm is wood, but that doesn't mean they sound any better or worse than any other IEM's.

Damn, you speak as if the FX500 is horrible, haha.

I might only bother picking up a CKS70 then.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #688 of 1,122
Quote:

Damn, you speak as if the FX500 is horrible, haha.

I might only bother picking up a CKS70 then.

No, sorry, I didn't mean to leave you with the impression that the FX500's were horrible. They're not horrible at all. I like them, it's just that in my pair they don't have anywhere near the bass or dynamic range that the M.T's do.

If you can swing it, you should listen to a pair for your self and see what you hear.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #689 of 1,122
I happen to enjoy both phones very much. the turbine is perhaps...a more relaxed listen with fuller mids, but the fx500 is a very finely resolved phone when it comes to musical texture. they are both phenomenal and among my favourite dynamic phones. they both suffer from some cable issues however.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #690 of 1,122
Quote:

No, sorry, I didn't mean to leave you with the impression that the FX500's were horrible. They're not horrible at all. I like them, it's just that in my pair they don't have anywhere near the bass or dynamic range that the M.T's do.

If you can swing it, you should listen to a pair for your self and see what you hear.

Ah, that's ok.

I also have been touching up a bit on my headphone lingo. I decided I would look up "soundstage". If I got it right, soundstage is the portrayal of where the instruments are located. You can tell exactly where the guitarist is, where the drummer is (even exactly where his cymbals are located by the channel the hits come in on), and more. It's a very immerse thing in IEM's it seems.

I haven't dealt high soundstage based IEM's before, but it seems like my MT's do a pretty good job at it. When hi-hat hits come in, I can tell they are more based on the left phone since that is where his hi-hat is placed, and the same would go for a crash, which is usually on the top right of a set. Not sure how the soundstage in the MT's would rank with other IEMs, but it seems to do a pretty good job at it.

I have also found some stores selling the CKS70 on eBay for about $110 shipped. Is this a good deal, and are they legit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back