Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Sep 5, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #646 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The design goals for the Pro's were to retain all of the good qualities of the original Turbine and to that, add more robust construction, better isolation, more refined balance and resolution in the bass, midrange, and treble regions, maybe some newly designed ear tips, and incorporate suggestions from Turbine owners. In other words, to improve on an already good thing. Most of these, not easy goals to truly do right.

Hmm wondering if I should pre-order the pro's.. I really dig the Turbine sound..
Earphonesolutions has the pros available for preorder @ $249, and there's a 15% off coupon valid till Labor Day which brings it to $212... soo tempting.

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #647 of 1,122
So I splurged this morning and officially joined the party! Snagged a pair at Futureshop for $99.99 CDN +tax. Question about the warranty, does anybody else's box say "3 year replacement warranty - Details inside" on the side? I went through the manual and other supporting documents inside the box and it only says 1 year limited warranty. *scratches head* What's the scoop!?

Anyway, I can't wait to try these once I get home!

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #649 of 1,122
Ugh, I need to send my MT in for a replacement again. This time; the sound in the left speaker is going out. The reason: wiring from the connector. Nothing is visibly damaged, it must be the internal wiring. If I move the wiring coming out of the connector, a bit, the sound goes out. I sent Monster an e-mail and hopefully they'll get back to me about a replacement. If not, I'm going to walk to their Brisbane HQ personally and Noel Lee will expect me.

This is my replacement from Monster that needs to be replaced.. Ugh..

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #650 of 1,122
Monster are making the Pro version stronger - I am assured this by their head of global marketing. It is nice that they at least seem to be listening to customer's complaints as really, that was what stuck out more than anything. I look forward to some H'fier's impressions of the Pro when they become available.

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #651 of 1,122
That's good to hear. Unless the Pro blows the original MT out of the water and set it on fire then buries it, I think I'm content with my MT. I'm still awaiting Monster's reply to my email, I'll give them a day or 2 since it is labor day..

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #652 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by dC0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good to hear. Unless the Pro blows the original MT out of the water and set it on fire then buries it, I think I'm content with my MT. I'm still awaiting Monster's reply to my email, I'll give them a day or 2 since it is labor day..

Don't hold your breath, call them and ask for Sean (Shawn) in Customer service.

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #653 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for tips, as I mentionned before, the de-cored complys do wonder underneath the silicon sleeve
smily_headphones1.gif

Hello Everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here. I purchased the Monster Turbines back at the beginning of the summer based on reviews and comments here on headfi. They marked a return to IEMs for me after a less than wonderful Shure experience many years ago. At any rate I have been loving the Turbines but having some restless thoughts around tips. When sitting still I do like the large olive style tips that came with the Turbine but they definitely fall out while moving (say cutting the lawn) and even eventually when sitting. It's like that surface is too slippery when combined with even a small a bit of ear wax. The Sony Hybrids do help a great deal in that area but its not perfect with one working it's way lose over time depending how I move. They also change the sound. Not bad, more feeling to mids and drums, bass more in the back but still there. Stage seems smaller though and less dimensonal. I loved the small tri-flange tip that came in the box. Loved it. Greatly inproved soundstage, isolation, and bass clarity. Only one problem, it touched me in new places and I mean that in the most innocent way possible. The inner ear seemed to be contacted in an itchy and then painful place. I actually suffered through it once while I cut the yard because it sounded so amazing. Could barely hear the mower at all with the music off, just aware of the vibration with the music on. They stayed put as well. Likely because they were stuck to my brain tissue. I really want to reproduce that sound and nothing I have tried yet does it. I ordered the mythical ebay biflange tips and tried to modify the Turbine tris by cutting off the top. It changed the sound unfortunately and not for the good. I also tried to put some heaing plug foam under the olives with no luck, would not even seal. I have not tried the Complys as mentioned in this thread or the Complys under the olive style tips. I have also had my eye on triple flanges from Shure and Ety but I'm just not sure if its more of the same I'm headed for. Has anyone tried and given up the monster tris only to find another set that work better? Any other advice maybe? I am enjoying the sound and isolation when I get them set right. As an aside the mowing is not a time for critical listening of course but it's gotta get done.
wink.gif
I also use them at night and at work on occasion.

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #654 of 1,122
Quote:

Don't hold your breath, call them and ask for Sean (Shawn) in Customer service.

Oo, why? You know him personally?

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #655 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by dC0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oo, why? You know him personally?

Yup, he's a good guy and he will help you if he can. I worked with him at Monster for almost a year. I hope he's still there.

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #656 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here. I purchased the Monster Turbines back at the beginning of the summer based on reviews and comments here on headfi. They marked a return to IEMs for me after a less than wonderful Shure experience many years ago. At any rate I have been loving the Turbines but having some restless thoughts around tips. When sitting still I do like the large olive style tips that came with the Turbine but they definitely fall out while moving (say cutting the lawn) and even eventually when sitting. It's like that surface is too slippery when combined with even a small a bit of ear wax. The Sony Hybrids do help a great deal in that area but its not perfect with one working it's way lose over time depending how I move. They also change the sound. Not bad, more feeling to mids and drums, bass more in the back but still there. Stage seems smaller though and less dimensonal. I loved the small tri-flange tip that came in the box. Loved it. Greatly inproved soundstage, isolation, and bass clarity. Only one problem, it touched me in new places and I mean that in the most innocent way possible. The inner ear seemed to be contacted in an itchy and then painful place. I actually suffered through it once while I cut the yard because it sounded so amazing. Could barely hear the mower at all with the music off, just aware of the vibration with the music on. They stayed put as well. Likely because they were stuck to my brain tissue. I really want to reproduce that sound and nothing I have tried yet does it. I ordered the mythical ebay biflange tips and tried to modify the Turbine tris by cutting off the top. It changed the sound unfortunately and not for the good. I also tried to put some heaing plug foam under the olives with no luck, would not even seal. I have not tried the Complys as mentioned in this thread or the Complys under the olive style tips. I have also had my eye on triple flanges from Shure and Ety but I'm just not sure if its more of the same I'm headed for. Has anyone tried and given up the monster tris only to find another set that work better? Any other advice maybe? I am enjoying the sound and isolation when I get them set right. As an aside the mowing is not a time for critical listening of course but it's gotta get done.
wink.gif
I also use them at night and at work on occasion.

Over the hundreds of hours I spent listening to the Turbines, Comply T-400's ended up working the best for me. One caveat, in order to not experience some attenuation of high frequencies, I had to cut off about 1/32 of an inch off the end of the tip of the Comply. Best of luck!!

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #657 of 1,122
Yes, similarly, the best tip for me was the Futuresonics or Etymotics foam which had to similarly be cut to work properly. fortunately, the flanged sound tube of the turbine isn't too short so that a nice foam can fit on.

monster should include a foam.

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #658 of 1,122
I still haven't gotten any Comply foam yet, but I'm dying to try some. Maybe once I get my replacement from Monster, I'll order some T400 to go with my MT.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #659 of 1,122
I ordered some T-400's and am awaiting those as well as burn-in to see how my listening experience evolves. So far, the thing I probably like the most with them is the treble - very clean.

Quote:

Over the hundreds of hours I spent listening to the Turbines, Comply T-400's ended up working the best for me. One caveat, in order to not experience some attenuation of high frequencies, I had to cut off about 1/32 of an inch off the end of the tip of the Comply. Best of luck!!

What size T-400's was that?

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #660 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered some T-400's and am awaiting those as well as burn-in to see how my listening experience evolves. So far, the thing I probably like the most with them is the treble - very clean.

What size T-400's was that?

Comply™ foam fittings for Monster :

Which ever fits your ear. The larger the size, the longer the eartip so the more you'll have to cut the tip back to keep from obscuring the HF. This is somewhat dependent upon the convolutions of your ear canal too. If the first bend it fairly close to your outer ear, it's that bend that tends to fold over the tip of the T400, and that's the part you have to trim back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back