Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Jul 25, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #586 of 1,122
Pink noise is good, I found that one night of burn in sttled the bass down a bit making them more listenable and I then noticed improvement until about 100 hours of listening time.

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #587 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problem here.. I just got some and the left bud is producing sound at a way lower volume than the right earbud. Also the music is darker (less highs).
What could be the problem?

I would exchange them for a fresh pair. Unless there is a problem with your source, they sound like they might be defective.

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #588 of 1,122
is the left earbud producing the same amount of volume when you hold each away from your ear? if so, then it is likely the flange or foam getting too bunched up in your ear. if indeed you detect volume differences when held away from your ears, you need to send them back.

my review of the Beats Tour will be done tonight (or tomorrow) Seoul time. I'll not spoil its conclusion by posting my thoughts right now though.

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #589 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pink noise is good, I found that one night of burn in sttled the bass down a bit making them more listenable and I then noticed improvement until about 100 hours of listening time.

Thanks. I burned them in over night and there is definitely a noticeable improvement. Not to the same level I'm used to from Over the ear headphones (expected, of course), but it's getting there! They are easily a significant improvement over the ADDIEM's. Those had absolutely no lows.

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #590 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaquib /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got the Monster Turbine's. Must say...They're already far superior to my ADDIEM's. How long would you guys recommend I burn them in for? Should I use the pink noise burn in file? Or some other ones?

Thanks!

Granted I don't have Turbines, but regular music is fine for me.

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #592 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the left earbud producing the same amount of volume when you hold each away from your ear? if so, then it is likely the flange or foam getting too bunched up in your ear. if indeed you detect volume differences when held away from your ears, you need to send them back.

my review of the Beats Tour will be done tonight (or tomorrow) Seoul time. I'll not spoil its conclusion by posting my thoughts right now though.

Even without the tips the sound difference is quite big. The left earbud also distorts when pushed to the same level as the right earbud.

The seller didn't have this problem when he sold the pair.. It came from the US, so can the change in pressure when in flight damage the driver?

I did experience something similair when I bought a pair of Marshmallows from someone here..

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #593 of 1,122
Yep after browsing through the Monster Turbine appreciation thread on this forum, I also went out to FutureShop and bought it. Today is the last day on sale 119.99CDN from original 149.99CDN retail price. However, I got mine for just $99.99 becouse the sales person said it's the promotional pkg price if I buy the extended product replacement warranty - 2yr for 29.99. Basically this means I still paid $119.99 but comes with a 2yr replacement warranty for just $9.99. To me this is well worth the investment to get the extended product warranty for such a great fair of in-ear "speakers" at only $10 bucks. Mine is exactly as depicted from your pic. Red stich on the leather case
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'd have to say the process of unboxing and removing the contents from the box was an awsome experience. The packaging and the quality of the materials are really top notch. It's the best purchase experience I've had on headphones/in-ear monitors. While I'm typing out this msg, I've being testing its SQ from my laptop source for the past couple hours. And i'm already totally blown away! From my past purchase experience on headphones, I had high hopes and expections for them and then the actual product turned out to be just about to meet my expections or below. This time I really didn't expect to get such a great sound from a MSRP of 149.99CDN pair of in-ear "speaker" (Monster called them speaker for good reasons, and now I truely believe it. It's not just a marketing gimick.)

Keep in mind that the source I'm getting my music from is only from my laptop with an integrated soundcard from 2yrs ago, but using the newest sound driver. Listening to my lossy compressed MP3 audio files, and I'm already getting new profound listening experiencing from my fav tracks - pop, rock, r&b, hip-hop,jazz, various gen of music.

So far the experience tells me that the sound reproduction and delivery from the source is fairly accurate. I'm not truely an audiophile but having heard more than a dozen pairs of headphones, I can clearly notice a SQ difference from a lower bitterate source vs a 320kps lossy mp3 files. Although all the mp3 files I'm lisening atm from my laptop are all lossy, but my ears can already distinguish diff in sq between diff bitterate tracks. Obvious the lower bit tracks sounds flatter and less dynamic to me and the higher bit files sounds fuller, richer and more airy.

I'm going to do further listening when I get home with beter source from my lossless audio tracks and high grade Auzentech X-Meridian(Oxygen 8788 chipset) with upgraded OPAMPs(read my sig), as well as from my hifi stereo system.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm preety sure the SQ will only get better from what I've being really enjoying from my laptop atm.

My quick ratings of Monster Turbine are as follows:

Packaging - 10/10 (Excellent packaging, best unboxing experience ever had)
Material/Content Quality - 9/10 (Excellent, one point from perfect becouse I love metal everything :p)
Included accessories - 9/10 (If they include mini to standard stereo adaptor, I'd give it 10)
Actual Monster in-ear Speaker Build Quality - 9.5/10 (the cord length may be problematic for some people but for my usage and in my situations it's just perfect - The spec stated its 4ft long if i remember correctly. Yes I can feel the weight of the metal housing and it really feels like a high quality in-ear monitor, and not those light weight cheap flimsy plastic in ear mon from other manufactures. The reason for not a 10 is today is only my first day usage, if the unit is still in perfect workmanship order at 2-3 yrs from now, I'll consider it 10/10 with its cost in mind
smily_headphones1.gif
Sound Quality - 9.5/10 *MSRP considered (The bass is rich and full with deep extension, if you're one who really appreciate the enjoyment of bass which makes up 1/3 of music, you're going to love it. While I praises its bass compartment, it doesn't drown out mid/high. The sound reproduction is crystal clear, detailed, and I can easily identified each diff instrumental notes effortless. In other words, the sound isn't muffled but well seperated.
Sound Stage - 9/10 (It's really remarkable for a sub $100CDN in-ear monitor to deliver fairly airy soundstage. The lisening experience is very similar to a $200 closed full-sized studio monitor but at a fraction of price. I can feel the airyness in some tracks and it feels like putting on my $200+ studio full size monitor.
Seals - 10/10 (Yes it stuck like a earplug, perhaps its even better than some cheapo earplugs that one can buy from dollar store or walmart. Upon inserting the standard mid size included plugs, it COMPLETELY seals out outside noise. I'm sitting in my workplace atm, and I can barely hear anything around me - Well, my other senses such as my eyes can tell me there are people walking, chatting, and various unwanted noise while I'm listening my fav tracks
wink.gif
. I'm preety sure this is one of the main reason why i can give its SQ rating and sound stage ratings this high. To get the perfect seal for your ears is absolutely important becouse then no sound leakage means all the notes are perfectly delivered to you and this doesn't affect low range like bass only but the overall listening experience.

Here is my short listening review, and I've got to pack up and go home now
wink.gif

More to come...and if you have any questions, let me know
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #594 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaquib /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I burned them in over night and there is definitely a noticeable improvement. Not to the same level I'm used to from Over the ear headphones (expected, of course), but it's getting there! They are easily a significant improvement over the ADDIEM's. Those had absolutely no lows.

I bought a pair of ATH AD700 a while back and now I have a hard time listening to anything else... So now I am on a quest to get a portable headphone that match's them. To that end I have an ATH ES7 coming in that will hopefully fit the bill. But I do still like my TB's especially when I want heavier isolation.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #597 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Derrickt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone tried running with these? Do they remain on?

They will somewhat remain on if you wear them cable up, and over the ear (which is pretty comfortable, but may look a little awkward).
Monster Turbines are quite heavy compared to other in-ear models so it is not recommended for those who listen to music during physical activities.

On the side note, I purchased these from Futureshop about 3 weeks ago, and to be honest I was going to take advantage of their return policy. I was waiting for my Denon AH-D2000 to be repaired/replaced (right driver was defective) and I was going to return them once I get my d2000 back, but oh man... I am VERY tempted to hold on to them.

I find monster turbine's sound signature very close to d2000 (which I adore), and it provides rich and detailed sound with my Samsung P2 and my laptop, although not as good when used with HT Omega Claro compared to d2000.
I also purchased Sennheiser CX95 for my brother's birthday and had a chance to compare them side by side, and after a few minutes of listening, hands down monster turbine was the winner. (which is kind of obvious seeing how monster turbine costs more than double)

I paid full price $149.99 for them so I might return them for now, and wait for them to go on sale.

Bottom line, props to Monster!

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #598 of 1,122
How does Turbine compare with head-direct RE0?
I suppose Turbine's bass packs more punch, but what about the highs?

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #599 of 1,122
Just because they are the same price does not mean they are the same performance. For sound alone, the RE2 does a number on most earphones I have heard in the under 100$ category, but it is made cheaply. The turbine sounds very good and is well made. Neither is perfect however. Its make has flaws in the cabling and headphone jack where as sound is more subjective. I would put the RE0 ahead of the Turbine for sound, but for make, behind.

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #600 of 1,122
Does anybody know if "Total Bithead" or "Total Airhead" improves the "Monster Turbines"?
I ordered "Total Bithead" to use with some Etymotic's that I purchased recently but quickly realized I don't like the flat frequency response that the Ety's produce.
I also just purchased the Monster Turbines and thought that if I hooked up the Total Bithead It might just as well suffice instead of buying the overpriced Monter Turbine Pro's that are being released shortly.
Another question I have is if the Monster Turbines produce good mid range and crystal clear high frequencies like the "Pioneer SE-CL30" (I know they are cheaply priced earbuds, but the high frequencies and bass are supurb in my opinion, but lack mid range really bad)?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back