Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Jun 3, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #496 of 1,122
I too bought a pair from futureshop. Im just using it with my ipod nano and its sounds ok at best. When i plug it in to my computer it sounds a bit better. Is that because my computer is like an amp itself? I dont hear any more detail compared to a pair of $20 sony earphones which i was kinda bumed about. Anywase im not too sure if ill be keeping them or not unless i can make it sound better.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #497 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have troublesome canals too and ended up with sleek customs! they are simply phenomenal. i have used universals that cost much more and these are really the bees knees!

Didn't they have some issues with crappy cables on their customs?

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #500 of 1,122
Right... but still not in production it seems
frown.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #501 of 1,122
I just came back from my local Future Shop to exchange my pair. I wasn't expecting anything when I came back but... oh wait... BASS! Plenty of it! Guess my first pair was really faulty. Now the mids and highs just need to pop-up and I'll be a happy camper
biggrin.gif

Edit : I got lucky too, I got the last pair!

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #502 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just came back from my local Future Shop to exchange my pair. I wasn't expecting anything when I came back but... oh wait... BASS! Plenty of it! Guess my first pair was really faulty. Now the mids and highs just need to pop-up and I'll be a happy camper
biggrin.gif

Happy it worked out for you. I wonder if other people with cracking issues when inserting also report bloated bass.. could be a clue

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #503 of 1,122
I purchased the Turbines on friday (from FS), and they've been burning in for about 30hrs now and i just wanna share my comparisons with these phones to my current everyday phone the Atrio m5 v2.

When i first unboxed the Turbines (great packaging) and plugged them in, i was surprised as to how clear they sounded but the bass was pretty booming. Having purchased the Atrio for the reason of having great bass in an IEM, i enjoy a good amount of bass in my music and rarely do i find a headphone to have too much bass....well at first i thought the Turbines had TOO much bass. I remember reading that the bass cools down after some burn-in and was happy to find out that it did maybe after 6-10hrs.

I find that achieving the proper seal is a bit tricky because i have to really shove these into my ear canals, as opposed to the m5 where they seem to sit more lateral to my ear canal. Trick is to keep pushing them in, until the bass is crazy...because the bass IS crazy. I think i might enjoy deeper bass with the Turbines than with the Atrio m5. With music like rap, or electronica, i find that the turbines go really really low, but when it comes to more "natural" bass (drums, guitars, etc...) the Atrio are more refined.

On the other end, i think the Atrio has better soundstage, instrument separation, and an overall smoother sound. They just sound clearer to me, voices are better rendered, and i feel more surrounded by the music. Everything is still nice with the Turbines but the music is much closer to my ears and less "around me".

As far as the cables go, eeeeech, i think my Turbines aren't gonna last very long. The buds are quite heavy and the cord is so thin and i dunno they just seem like they're gonna come apart at any moment. We'll see time will tell, especially since these are my gym pair now.

Final verdict. At 100USD, these are a steal, i dont think that bang for your buck that there is a better headphone out there, especially if you wanna feel the bass in your music, but at the usual price that's normally 180$ CAD here at least, i would spend the extra 50$ and get a pair of Atrio m5, because sound quality is comparable and just slightly better than Turbine (IMO), but the build quality of the cable is really really nice...i'm not the type to baby my earphones and my atrio still look brand spanking new. Just my 2cents

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #504 of 1,122
One trick to get super isolation (and I did not come up with this, but my memory fails me at the moment) is to "de-core" a pair of Comply foams and put them underneath the regular silicons. Just reverse the silicon sleeves, make the hole of the Comply foams big enough and slide them in. Reverse back the sleeves on top of the foam and voilà!

I can't hear someone talking to me from 4-5 feet, no kidding, w/o music on.

And with this new pair I got as replacement, I have no issue with the left ear and different volume. All is fine. Boy, do they have bass.... The latest Crystal Method is crazy with those... Now I need to revisit several of my fav albums in the breaks/drum n bass/psytrance genres hehehe

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #505 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcspectre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased the Turbines on friday (from FS), and they've been burning in for about 30hrs now and i just wanna share my comparisons with these phones to my current everyday phone the Atrio m5 v2.

It will be interesting to see if your assessment changes over the next few weeks. 30hrs doesn't sound like much.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #508 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm glad it worked out for you in the end. The bass settles down and tightens up after burn in and the mids and highs really come out. Now i just need to wait for them come in stock at my futureshop so that i can exchange my friends pair
smily_headphones1.gif

Just got the pfe's yesterday too, and both these iems cover the entire spectrum of music that i listen to. I'm a happy man!

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #509 of 1,122
yes, the pfe and turbine combination is great. i too am a proud owner. both are really nice. both need better cables though. i am not sure, but he pfe seems the crystalising type and the monster is just too... energetic!

my favourite tip with most iems is the low density foam. for the turbine, this opened the stage and also brought the bass to a less central focus. at first i was not sure about it, but eventually i loved this combo. ety low density foams.

the killer? the lovely barass of the turbine. damn fine fine fine.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #510 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, the pfe and turbine combination is great. i too am a proud owner. both are really nice. both need better cables though. i am not sure, but he pfe seems the crystalising type and the monster is just too... energetic!

my favourite tip with most iems is the low density foam. for the turbine, this opened the stage and also brought the bass to a less central focus. at first i was not sure about it, but eventually i loved this combo. ety low density foams.

the killer? the lovely barass of the turbine. damn fine fine fine.

How do the tips change the sq of the pfe's?

And could you give me a link to them? The Ety site has a lot of foam types.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back