Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Apr 23, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #271 of 1,122
Just pulled the trigger on the Turbines from Macmall. My second purchase since joining Head-fi...my wallet is starting to ache...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #272 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone comment on turbines vs beats? Lots of feedback on Turbines and I'm close to buying but I do like the cable on beats....

I've been waiting for a proper comparison as well. I'm close to buying a pair just to try out for a week or so then return/sell, unless I like them more than the turbines. Though I have a feeling the Tours cost twice as much as they should, just like the full size Beats. Whereas it seems the Turbines have actually been priced relative to how they sound.

Apr 23, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #273 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryan1918 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think they ship to canada because i just tred ordering a pair and there is no option.

AHHH Poop LOL, well Future Shop is at least carrying them now :)

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #274 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by used-2-rap-on-headphones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been waiting for a proper comparison as well. I'm close to buying a pair just to try out for a week or so then return/sell, unless I like them more than the turbines. Though I have a feeling the Tours cost twice as much as they should, just like the full size Beats. Whereas it seems the Turbines have actually been priced relative to how they sound.

I read at least 1 review (can't find it now) that compared the 2 with a graph showing beats going a bit lower on some frequencies but overall sounding very similar. Oh well, I bought a pair but don't have turbines to compare them to. They DO sound very good and I don't the bass to be at all exaggerated... The problem is the length of the tube + odd shape makes getting/keeping a good seal difficult...a common complaint with beats but NOOOOOO I just had to try them anyways. I will give them a fair chance over the next couple of days but as good as they sound, they may have to go back due fit/fuss issues

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #275 of 1,122
Quote:

I read at least 1 review (can't find it now) that compared the 2 with a graph showing beats going a bit lower on some frequencies but overall sounding very similar. Oh well, I bought a pair but don't have turbines to compare them to. They DO sound very good and I don't the bass to be at all exaggerated... The problem is the length of the tube + odd shape makes getting/keeping a good seal difficult...a common complaint with beats but NOOOOOO I just had to try them anyways. I will give them a fair chance over the next couple of days but as good as they sound, they may have to go back due fit/fuss issues

If they're similar to the Monster Turbines, they might require a long burn-in time also to get it's rich sound out.

As for my case, we last left off with me returning my Monster Turbines to MacMall for a replacement. Genius them, I specifically asked for an EXCHANGE for a new non defective one. They sent me a full refund to my paypal. Now, I have to order them again or perhaps step my game up. I really liked the Monsters too...

My MacMall experience went well up til now. Ughhh. IDK if I should get the turbines again or go step up my IEM collection.

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #276 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by dC0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ughhh. IDK if I should get the turbines again or go step up my IEM collection.

If you have the cheddar get the IE8's. (I'm assuming you'll stick with dynamics)

Apr 24, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #277 of 1,122
^Thade

Yeah, they seem like there might be fit issues and that flat cable eliminates to option of the good ol' reverse mod. The turbines fit me great and aren't that noticeable either, I don't really need a big red b in my ear, nor super obvious red cables.

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #278 of 1,122
Hi all - figured I would finally post after how much money you guys have cost me lately.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I just pulled the trigger on a set of these Turbines now that MacMall has them back in stock. I'm currently using a set of NE-7Ms with my Touch 2G and they're solid, but I'm looking for a little more punch while keeping that warm sound. Hopefully these guys fit the bill.

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #280 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by frostiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know where can I pick up one of these in calgary or canada? I though they used to sell them at futureshop...but I can't find it on their website anymore.
frown.gif

They don't have them on their website at all as I think it's actually a new item for them. I bought mine at Shawnessy last week and they had 5 or 6 in stock. So check with that store. They are $179. Good luck and GREAT LISTENING
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #281 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all - figured I would finally post after how much money you guys have cost me lately.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I just pulled the trigger on a set of these Turbines now that MacMall has them back in stock. I'm currently using a set of NE-7Ms with my Touch 2G and they're solid, but I'm looking for a little more punch while keeping that warm sound. Hopefully these guys fit the bill.

I went from the NE-7M to these and they were the perfect upgrade IMO. They took the bass of the NE's and increased it while making it more detailed and textured, they made the midrange slightly more forward and more detailed (singers sound like they are right in from of you especially female singers, lead guitars and piano's take a more upfront sound as well), the treble is also better, and for me the comfort is simply off the charts in comparison.

So I hope this is your experience as well, and please let everyone here know if thats the case (or not if your not quite as gaga about them as me
wink.gif
). As other NE users looking to take the next step forward may find these a pleasant one.

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #282 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't have them on their website at all as I think it's actually a new item for them. I bought mine at Shawnessy last week and they had 5 or 6 in stock. So check with that store. They are $179. Good luck and GREAT LISTENING
smily_headphones1.gif

No wonder...I though I saw them on a poster some where before and just couldn't remember where...

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #283 of 1,122
You know I just can't decide on my tips. For comfort I find the default bulb tips are easy to insert, stay put and have zero irritation and no sense of pressure. They are followed by the Sony Hybrid tips which are easy to insert and almost as comfortable with only a mild irritation in my ear and the need to be adjusted to keep a good seal and not feel to much pressure.

For isolation the sony hybrids have the most but at the expense of comfort due to pressure in my ear.

NOw comes the tricky part... sound. When I use the bulbs they seem to make singers and certain lead instruments stand out more which for a lot of the rock, folk, and Celtic music is almost stunning. But the Sony's create an almost visceral response with a much more open feel to them which for anything with a heavy instrumental slant such as alot of classical and some types of rock with alot of intricate sections sound better.

I may be a bit weird but for everyday use, comfort easily wins over SQ so I imagine I'll mostly use the stock tips (I actually went to the large tip vs medium as it has even more of a, "nothing is in my ear, feeling" but I think I will have to carry the sony tips with me for those times when I want that something more factor for the genre's where they shine.

Does anyone else find they like the stock bulb tips and if so why? I ask because there really is something endearing about them sonically that I struggle to put in words. Maybe it's some weird reverb thing happening within the bulb or that they manage to make the primary sounds whether they are singing or the lead instruments stand out more.

So, whats your experience?...

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #284 of 1,122
Quote:

Well the Beats are really starting to grow on me. I had some T-500 tips laying around & they help a lot for a shove 'em in & go fit. I really do like the flat cables and even the overall look but beats do attract some degree of unwanted attention. So I threw down and bought some Turbines from Macmall for about 30.00 less after shipping and TAX bahhh. I'll probably send the beats back to Amazon B4 I get the Turbines but if the sound is at all similar or better, I'll be a happy camper. Beats are starting to warm up & they really rock.

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #285 of 1,122
Recieved my Turbines today and gave them a brief (less than 30 min) test run. I ran them off my 1g Ipod touch with LOD and E5. I got a decent seal with the large tips, although I haven't tried the triple flanges yet. I am very impressed with the bass so far...its pretty incredible. Linkin Park's "Lying to You" sounds phenomenal in terms of bass punch and extension. Much better than my es7's in terms of quantity and punch. I am a little dissapointed with the high's, mid's and soundstage but I need to listen to them further before I make a judgement on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back