Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Oct 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #1,111 of 1,122
  I just got a pair of turbine pearls that I bought as a warehouse deal on amazon, I must admit there was a daunting amount of tips, I'd guess at least a dozen pairs with these.  So far, I'm really enjoying them on some bass-friendly music like Puscifer.  And as much as I hate to admit it, I really love the pearl look to these.  I know I shouldn't really take aesthetics into consideration on the quality of an IEM, but I must admit its a nice perk.  I might need to take a little time to go through the single flanges, triple flanges, and foam tips to see which I enjoy the feel/sound of most.  Also on a side note, I really like the carrying case.  All in all, for the $67 or so I paid for it, I'm quite happy with the purchase!

i was actually very curious on the pearls

i think they look absolutely gorgeous!!!! i was wondering the sound on them they were on a good deal on amazon, didn't ship to canada! but the $ was great! too bad doubt i would have bought it

theres not many reviews on them on the internet there was more on the original, gold and copper. i find. 

how did you find the overall signature aside from the bass? on that note did the bass seem overwhelming to you?

i found that on the original turbines the bass was a bit much for me still love em but just a little less would be better

also my cable is really short!!! whats up with that!! i'm not tall at all i'm like 5'6-5'7 i wear em over my ears and i can put them into my pocket but theres no slack on the cable at all. if i was any taller it might not work, sometimes when i stretch out it my cable would tug

they really need to make the cable longer ( i dunno if my version is the old or the new, bought it used it has a straight jack) but i hope they fix that!!!

imagine the typically caucasian (im asian) uses these at least wearing them over the ear, they're taller around 5'9-5'10 they wouldn't work!!

can't wear them straight down (too much cable noise) and they don't fit well for me that way

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #1,112 of 1,122
oh my goodness i used bass reducer on my ipod and bumped up the bass and treble on my fiioe6

this has made the bass more managable now and tighted up the bass while still having that extention, it loses some "exaggerated rumbling" but its still has rumble and punchy bass as before and the behind that bass (the now boosted treble) is so articulate! theres so much detail hiding there, its a bit strong for just a tad, probably have some listening fatigue soon but until then i'm in audiophile nirvana, i haven't taken them off since

the bass is still north of neutral, it made the entire sound signature more lean, making it less thick, wowww this is amazing and i'm using the sony hybrids that i thought made the bass too big

both male and female vocals sound great! its soo smooth and natural, theres enough power to the vocalists voice, and the there is no bleeding into the lower mids or the bass overwhelming the entire sound now

the entire sound has a perfect amount of weight for me (found the re400 a bit lean, even when trying different tips)  and different insertion depth

its a bit thicker than average but now where as thick as before

wowww this is amazing now! if only the cable is longer (im wearing them over ears) the only way they fit me, and reduces microphonics

i'm usually against using eq but right now its fantastic, i will say something many have said before me 
"i have heard detail that i never heard of before" but this with the exact same headphones!!! how is this possible with only some eq tweaks here and there 

the overall sounded a bit unnatural before, but i just remembered theses iems were colored to begin with, just the mids were natural

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #1,113 of 1,122
Reading some of these latest posts makes me miss my Turbine's so much 
frown.gif

I am studying abroad and I left them in my home country. Moreover, the 3.5mm connector is now faulty after 2 years of intensive use. I might get them repaired or even re-cabled (if that's possible) once I return.

They were my go-to earphones everyday, even when I had gotten the Sony XBA-3. When travelling, the extra sub-bass really helped on the bus or even in the car. I don't think I have ever encountered another pair of IEMs or headphones that have as good of a bass extension as the Turbine's. The speed was another thing I loved so much about them. Decay was just amazing as well.

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #1,114 of 1,122
  Reading some of these latest posts makes me miss my Turbine's so much 
frown.gif

I am studying abroad and I left them in my home country. Moreover, the 3.5mm connector is now faulty after 2 years of intensive use. I might get them repaired or even re-cabled (if that's possible) once I return.

They were my go-to earphones everyday, even when I had gotten the Sony XBA-3. When travelling, the extra sub-bass really helped on the bus or even in the car. I don't think I have ever encountered another pair of IEMs or headphones that have as good of a bass extension as the Turbine's. The speed was another thing I loved so much about them. Decay was just amazing as well.

thank you for replying!! i thought i was the only one here anymore! its an old thread

i don't think its capble of being recabled honestly, the entire housing doesn't look like it can come apart! no screws or anything

personally i got them on a whim, wanting to try some decent quality basshead iem to complement my re400s from hifiman (very neutral)

as much as i would like to say i'll cry if the break (the strain relief on the jack and on the y shape yolk is really rubbish to me) this is coming from a cable manufacture, monster. thats actually really appalling. regardless i'm aiming for the gr07 BE or mkII or whatever the revamped version is.

or the new revamped version of the vmoda m80 when it comes out 

decisions decisions

but until then i will savour this delicious bass, despite my post above i have returned to its stock sound but with the hifiman re400 biflanges(short). to tame down the boominess of the bass and help with the treble extention

wider bores=more treble extention dropping some bass, clearing hte mids

narrow/stock= more bass bump, masking some of the mids to me the treble becomes a bit recessed for me

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #1,115 of 1,122
The turbines are some of the sweetest earphones on the planet! I had mine up until Thanksgiving, and then I caught them up on a doorknob and they broke. I cried. I have my Sennheiser's for gym, but they aren't close to being as good as my long lost Turbines. My sister gave me the Brainwavz Delta earphones for christmas, but those were utter garbage. They sounded like $10.00 Koss earphones from K-Mart. I want my brother in law's Denons. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,117 of 1,122
I know this thread's getting a little old now, but I wanted to jump in with a comment and a question for anybody still reading this thread (and still owning/using both the original, regular Monster Turbines, in addition to the Pro Coppers).  One thing that's puzzled me for a long time is what the differences are inside the regular and Copper Turbines.  We all know the Pro Coppers have thicker cables and are all shiny and Coppery on the outside, but what about inside?  Rumor has it, they both use the same driver.

My favorite eartips are the original (spherical-shaped) Monster gel supertips.  I find with these tips connected to both the Copper Pro and regular Turbine headphones, the differences between these two sets of headphones are almost imperceptible.  There's still a tiny bit more bass with the regular turbines, but the differences are sooooooooo marginal that 99.99999% of the time, you'd never tell the difference.

Anybody else notice this?

Nov 14, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #1,119 of 1,122
Reached into my IEM collection and pulled out the turbine pro gold. They are a real special IEM. Big bass and crisp highs. I also have the coppers, trumpets, gradiutes. I wonder way monster have not come out with a new TOTL IEM.

Apr 1, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #1,120 of 1,122
Almost six months since there was any appreciation of the Turbines, so here's a little love for them.... :)
Below is a comparison of the Turbines vs the Turbine Pro Copper, both using Cp100 SpinFit eartips. I've also included the Beyerdynamic Xelento (also using Cp100 SpinFit eartips) in there as a reference. These are raw, uncompensated measurements from a 711-compliant coupler:

cp100.png

And here's the same comparison, but this time using gel supertips on both the Turbines and the Turbine Pro Copper:

gst.png

You have to love the sub-bass on those Turbines!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #1,121 of 1,122
Which Turbine has the softest sounding transient edge on snares and other upper-mid instruments?

Also, which one has the fullest lower-mids and smoothest upper-mids and treble between those models?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #1,122 of 1,122
So I got the MTPG. My iBasso IT00 (relatively neutral) has more bass, and Final E5000 has a lot more bass..

The sub-bass sounds neutral, mid-bass recessed. Is this normal? Do they need burn-in for the bass to come out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back