Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
May 22, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #1,322 of 2,269

Quote:
Duplicate post. Mods please delete.

You can edit it also.  I'd recommend the IERM for you with your listening preferences.  Don't bother w/ the other stuff if you want to use your Quads as a reference.  I'd consider the ES5 too but I'm not sure what your preference for neutrality is.  Theres the MG6Pro and the UM Miracle/Merlin too.  

May 22, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #1,323 of 2,269

Quote:
You can edit it also.  I'd recommend the IERM for you with your listening preferences.  Don't bother w/ the other stuff if you want to use your Quads as a reference.  I'd consider the ES5 too but I'm not sure what your preference for neutrality is.  Theres the MG6Pro and the UM Miracle/Merlin too.  

It was actually my "editing" that somehow caused the duplicate post, which I couldn't remove. So I reckoned it best not to re-edit my duplicate a second time...

Re the IERMs: I actually considered the IERMs prior to reading the AV Guide review and this thread. But, ultimately, I was moved to purchase the Tributes. But, now, after concluding the Tributes aren't for me, I'm looking at the IERMs again. But I'm also in the midst of reading the 1964Ears Appreciation thread (only up to page 11 tho')--their triples and quads've caught my attention.

I'm ambivalent about the IERMs because of their Capital Records affiliation. I was in a band many years ago that got signed, briefly, to Capitol Records and we had literal shouting matches over recording styles that left me (even to this day!) wondering whether anyone at Capitol actually ever listened to the consistently mediocre (or worse!) recordings they were putting out?! Anyway, not to bore anyone with my personal history, I'd hate to spend a grand on a set of custom 'phones that I've never even heard that were designed, even if only partially, by the same company's "engineers". And especially after the way-off review AV Guide gave the Tributes....well, I'm just a bit gun-shy, if you know what I mean.

My listening preference is for transducers--whether loudspeakers or earspeakers--that sound correct au naturale. The thing about the Tributes is that they require serious tweaking (and still sound BOOMY). Though, to be fair, the Tributes are breathtaking in their ability to resolve very low-level details like digital jitter from low res .mp3s, which is why I battled with them as long as I did. The Tributes helped me to root out a handful of 128kHz and 192kHz .mp3s that've been apparently lurking within my otherwise 320kHz stable (and none of the other headphones I own or have auditioned were able to reveal them - even after I heard their digital artifacts in the Tributes!). Oddly, I've been very happy with Monster products over the years (used to sell them, too, when I worked in the high-end audio business back in the 80s). I'm still not sure how Noel Lee, Monster's chief, could market such colored-sounding headphones under the name of Miles Davis?
Anyway....

May 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #1,324 of 2,269
Quote:
I'd recommend the IERM for you with your listening preferences.  Don't bother w/ the other stuff if you want to use your Quads as a reference.

Just out of curiosity, do the 1964Ears Quads fall into "the other stuff" category?
I'm still working my way through the 1964Ears appreciation thread (about half way through) and, so far at least, they seem, generally, to be receiving high praise indeed. While I can afford the IERMs (my personal issues with Capitol aside), I don't want to spend money I don't have to.
I also had my ear impressions done today, so it's just a matter of choosing my poison.

May 23, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #1,325 of 2,269
just bought the MMDT, hopefully I will receive them two days later 
beyersmile.png

May 26, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #1,326 of 2,269
hello guys.. I've been wanting this MDs for so long now but the problem is there is no Monster here at my country (Philippines) the durability issues is my concern on these coz' the warranty will be really hard to me on sending them back and forth and i don't have that kind of money..

what are the conditions of your MDs now? any signs of breakage physically and on the drivers of it?

Also could you share me again if you don't mind, how does the sound of the bass of electric guitar sound on the MDs?
I have the Monster Beats Pro as my only headphone (I bought them because of how durable they are and I like their SQ) I chose to buy them first so that it will be my audio equipment if anything else fails... It has a very good SQ to me since i really appreciate the sound signature of the Monster headphones.. Now i'm on my way to the MDs but first I really need your answers coz' I don't want them break up on me easily coz I take care of my things carefully.. I have auditioned the coppers and like them but the gentle touch on the Mids in the MDs are really bugging me (i love the mids of my Beats Pro, warm, beefy, forceful and aggressive in a good manner)

Sometimes the Bass on the Beats Pros are really excessive (i'm a bass lover but don't like tons of bass like others) on the song Wish you were here by Incubus and My sacrifice by creed it really annoys on the bass department (but my friend who loves bass really loves it on the Beats Pro) that it makes me think if I will hear the same thing too on the MDs (i hope not) as I want to the MDs to be my IEM for portability. I like the Coppers but my heart is tellin me something about the MDs.. I was almost at the edge on buying the senn IE8 bcoz of the reviews i read and is consider to be a top tier but when i auditioned them, i didn't like the coloration on the vocals as it didn't sound natural to me and didn't really appreciate the bass from it and to other brands i auditioned. I think for me, the Monster's bass department is the best for me.

I really want the MDs but have to justify it first on its durability (are the MDs now not defective anymore?), the sound on the bass electric guitars ( will it not be excessive too when I get to listen to Incubus now and Creed plus they so good to me on prog metal such as Dream Theater i don't find it excessive there and on the Nightwish, it really impressed me on the Beats Pro)

I listen to R&B, Pop, rock, Country, love songs and alternative

I use Taylor Swift's Mine as my reference song on auditioning

that's all. sorry for the long  message. would really appreciate it from you guys.

thank you

Jun 11, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #1,330 of 2,269

i have to say that im just in love with these IEM's paired with the S:FLO2 and Leckerton UHA-4 amp. the sound that this setup gives is simply phenomenal...

ive been going back and forth between the Miles Davis and DBA-02's for months trying to decide which I like better and I think I can finally admit that the MD's are simply more enjoyable. i like the clarity and liveliness of the DBA's but the Miles Davis are just amazing and much more versatile with different genres of music. i might consider parting with my Fischers actually.

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,331 of 2,269

Quote:
i have to say that im just in love with these IEM's paired with the S:FLO2 and Leckerton UHA-4 amp. the sound that this setup gives is simply phenomenal...

ive been going back and forth between the Miles Davis and DBA-02's for months trying to decide which I like better and I think I can finally admit that the MD's are simply more enjoyable. i like the clarity and liveliness of the DBA's but the Miles Davis are just amazing and much more versatile with different genres of music. i might consider parting with my Fischers actually.

You might regret it.  Those were my two peas in a pod for a very long time.  Amazing compliments to each other.  If you don't listen to anything w/ shredding guitars or electronic speed then perhaps you can do w/o the DBA's.  

Jun 12, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #1,332 of 2,269
absolutely spot on on how well they compliment each other.

but yeah...it probably wont get to that point with the DBA-02's anytime soon. i am considering the VSonic GR07 to compare them directly with the Fischers myself though. im thinking i might prefer the signature from the VSonics with what I use the DBA's for like Rock, Latin or anything with live instruments.

anyway, these Miles Davis Tributes fit me very well and Im so glad that I went with them.

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #1,334 of 2,269

Well after months of reading about these I just got them this afternoon, after a couple hours of burn-in all I can is, holy crap! I am eagerly burning them in the next few days and making notes of how they will change. But I am listening to music with a smile on my face. 

I am upgrading from Klipsch S4i's and Grado SR60's. I love the bass of the S4i's and the midtones of the Grados but decided for how I listen to music (in a busy office mostly) I wanted some high end IEM's I have some history with Monsters' having received a free pair of the Monster for review a couple of years ago, I loved the sound then, but they broke on me after about 9 months. Now these were out of my price range but I got some unexpected freelance design work and made the purchase. 

So far I have listened to: 
ACDC; Back in Black, the guitars are very bluesy and the vocals are just clear and "raw". There is very good separation between all of the instruments.

The Beatles; Here Comes the Sun, feels very warm, crystal clear. The low end is deep and tight, with the vocals and background vocals all coming thru.

Deadmau5; Dr. Funkenstein, this is just straight house music, deep bass. Amazing deep tight bass, I listen to alot of electronica actually, the bass is nice and controlled if that makes sense. Not as skull-pounding thump like the Klipsch's, but tight and almost equally deep. Not a basshead but not dissappointed at all.

Pink Floyd; Time; The clarity brings tears to my ears.

Jimi Hendrix; Voodoo Chile, Again tears, very dynamic, rich and brings chills. (sorry I am a noob in terms of musical descriptions.)

Steeley Dan; Aja, the pianos are so nice on this. I can see myself listening to more Jazz and SD because of these headphones alone, which is always a good thing.

Very happy so far, I did get frustrated, not being bale to find a set of tips to be satisfied with, but I settled on some medium sized foam tips, normally I am used to the S4i's going in bit deeper into the canal, but these sit surprisingly nicely more on the outer ear. I have never liked the triple flanges, but I might have to try some. Hope this wasn't too long of a mini review. I am excited to see what burring-in will do to the sound. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back