Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
May 17, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #1,291 of 2,269
Quote:
I haven't found much about these 'phones being bass-heavy.

Most reviews do mention they are bass-heavy which is why I like them frankly!
L3000.gif
Maybe they just need a decent amount of burning in for the bass to settle down?

Are you running them straight out of the ipod headphone-out or using a portable amp?

May 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #1,292 of 2,269
These monster miles davis are probably the best headphones out there for someone who wants to have fun listening to music.

May 17, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #1,293 of 2,269
Ok, thinking about sending my MD back to Monster,for the price, I expect more. I am really going to miss it 
Ok, it is cosmetic but it is bugging me :frowning2:

May 17, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #1,294 of 2,269
I have a hard time believing any of these broken reliefs don't come from people pulling on the cables or the reliefs to remove the phones.  I simply can't fathom how it's remotely possible to damage the strain reliefs if you remove the phones properly from your ears by grabbing the housing!  I'm gonna guess that most of you with damaged strain reliefs also pull your power cords out of the wall by pulling on the cable too.

May 17, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #1,295 of 2,269

Quote:
I have a hard time believing any of these broken reliefs don't come from people pulling on the cables or the reliefs to remove the phones.  I simply can't fathom how it's remotely possible to damage the strain reliefs if you remove the phones properly from your ears by grabbing the housing!  I'm gonna guess that most of you with damaged strain reliefs also pull your power cords out of the wall by pulling on the cable too.

I actually don't pull on the cable, I promise :) 
When the left side came off , about a month ago, I was going to just let it be but the right happened yesterday.

Might be time to try W4 or  Shure 535, any input from fellow MD fans. I really like MD or  I might just get another pair of MD for backup. Amazon has it for $299 now, tempting.

May 18, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #1,296 of 2,269

Quote:
Most reviews do mention they are bass-heavy which is why I like them frankly!
L3000.gif
Maybe they just need a decent amount of burning in for the bass to settle down?

Are you running them straight out of the ipod headphone-out or using a portable amp?

Straight from the iPod.
The only frequent criticisms I've read relate to their midrange, which Monster apparently boosts slightly to optimize for classic jazz recordings. The problem I hear is definitely in the mid- or upper-bass region, which makes everything sound boomy.

May 18, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #1,297 of 2,269

Quote:
Straight from the iPod.
The only frequent criticisms I've read relate to their midrange, which Monster apparently slightly boosts to optimize for classic jazz recordings. The problem I hear is definitely in the mid- or upper-bass region, which makes everything sound boomy.

Tips and good power delivery makes a difference IME.  Plus I did a gentle burn cycle to not overdrive the MD drivers which I've found to be quite delicate.

May 19, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #1,298 of 2,269
I've always thought a portable amp optional for most of my IEMs except for the Copper and MD where straight out of the ipod is totally unsatisfying.

That said, I do notice tighter, less boomy bass in all of them when powered by the Arrow rather than straight out of the ipod.

May 19, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #1,299 of 2,269

Quote:

Ana, this actually just happpeed to mine on the left, I can post pictures up if you guys would like to see, I admit I've used them a couple times outside, though j.w. will monster cover this under the warranty or would this be part of the 1- time replacement warranty?

May 19, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #1,300 of 2,269

Quote:
Ana, this actually just happpeed to mine on the left, I can post pictures up if you guys would like to see, I admit I've used them a couple times outside, though j.w. will monster cover this under the warranty or would this be part of the 1- time replacement warranty?

Anax, and yes they will cover it as it's manufacture problem so you keep your one time gaff too.  

So what happens?  The strain reliefs just fall apart from gravity?  I'd like to understand what happens.  Mine have been carried in my pocket and flown to five different countries.  Maybe the fact I use over the ear guides helps?

May 19, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #1,301 of 2,269
I actually put it in the case and sorry was rushing when I was typing that!, my apologies.

When i was taking it out I just hooked it with one finger and well it and when I was putting on my left I noticed the strain relief was wobbly and I looked over and it had come apart, I don't know if I had done this prior to taking it out but yeah. I've actually contacted monster now and I just have to send them out :D, but I'll be sending them out in about 2 weeks since I want them for my holiday =) btw I just got some HJE-900's, will arrive in like 2 weeks. Care to comment on how they sound against the MD's? =)

May 19, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #1,302 of 2,269

Quote:
I actually put it in the case and sorry was rushing when I was typing that!, my apologies.

When i was taking it out I just hooked it with one finger and well it and when I was putting on my left I noticed the strain relief was wobbly and I looked over and it had come apart, I don't know if I had done this prior to taking it out but yeah. I've actually contacted monster now and I just have to send them out :D, but I'll be sending them out in about 2 weeks since I want them for my holiday =) btw I just got some HJE-900's, will arrive in like 2 weeks. Care to comment on how they sound against the MD's? =)

I'm not a 900's fan.  The bass is too quick and the mids are a bit recessed and treble a tad harsh at times.  It's a much better choice for your speed metal tracks though.  It's a very speedy dynamic.  The 900s and MDs are just about polar opposites in signature philosophy.  The mids aren't too bad at all once you get acclimated unlike the TF10.        

May 19, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #1,304 of 2,269

Quote:
That said, I do notice tighter, less boomy bass in all of them when powered by the Arrow rather than straight out of the ipod.

The "Arrow"? I'm hoping that isn't an amp or DAC or something like that?
For me, the whole point of this exercise is to have good quality sound that I can drop into my shirt pocket when I'm motorcycling. So I'm pretty much limited to an iPod & in-ear 'phones. Unless there's some type of credit card-sized gizmo that improves things by an order of magnitude.

May 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #1,305 of 2,269
     Quote:
The "Arrow"? I'm hoping that isn't an amp or DAC or something like that?
For me, the whole point of this exercise is to have good quality sound that I can drop into my shirt pocket when I'm motorcycling. So I'm pretty much limited to an iPod & in-ear 'phones. Unless there's some type of credit card-sized gizmo that improves things by an order of magnitude.

Yeah the Arrow is an amp. I don't know if an amp would solve your problems though. It would refine/tighten the bass a bit, but the MD is still a bassy IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back