Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Apr 8, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #1,216 of 2,269
I just had the MD for about a week after the original turbine, copper, and gold. The MD started super sweet right from the box and it sounded a bit tiny and tend to need a lot of juice but I just loved the sound signature. It is all that I could ask for. With much hope and I continue to burn in for about a week using some burnt in tone and through normal listening, the bass got better and better. On the seventh day, I try to swap earbug back and forth from my ipod to compare the sound of the copper, gold and MD. All of a sudden, the sound of my MD just changed dramatically. The object image got expanded, all the sweetness gone away and the sound signature was really dark. Now my gold sounded better than the MD.

It seemed like the mid-high to high frrequency magic are gone. Does any of you had this experience? I think my MD already had 100 hours burnt in. When I listen to the MD with my familiar burn in tone, I find the high frequency is really missing. I hope I did not damage the driver while swapping earbuds.

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #1,217 of 2,269

Quote:
I just had the MD for about a week after the original turbine, copper, and gold. The MD started super sweet right from the box and it sounded a bit tiny and tend to need a lot of juice but I just loved the sound signature. It is all that I could ask for. With much hope and I continue to burn in for about a week using some burnt in tone and through normal listening, the bass got better and better. On the seventh day, I try to swap earbug back and forth from my ipod to compare the sound of the copper, gold and MD. All of a sudden, the sound of my MD just changed dramatically. The object image got expanded, all the sweetness gone away and the sound signature was really dark. Now my gold sounded better than the MD.

It seemed like the mid-high to high frrequency magic are gone. Does any of you had this experience? I think my MD already had 100 hours burnt in. When I listen to the MD with my familiar burn in tone, I find the high frequency is really missing. I hope I did not damage the driver while swapping earbuds.

I hope you didn't damage the driver but the MDs are very delicate.  I highly recommend only using music for burn in and not going excessively louder than you would listen to.  Do not use noise or tones on the MD.  Just quality music at normal volume the first week.  No joke.  They are the most sensitive drivers I have ever used.  I baby them beyond reason.  Treat it like a potted plant the first week and let it rest in between sessions.  I have no scientific basis for any of this only the experience of myself and others.  

Try different tips and fit.  If the don't open up again I fear they are damaged.

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #1,218 of 2,269
↑+1
I only use comply's with them, otherwise my ears destroy the drivers very quickly. Its a shame, really
frown.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #1,219 of 2,269
Thanks for the information. I had stopped the burn in tone now and feed it with music. I am no rush to contact Monster for now since the its a life time warranty. I'll burn in a bit more to see to if the sound are still changing.

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #1,220 of 2,269
Finally got my pair of MDs and loving them so far. Through my iPod 5.5G through the headphone jack it sounds rather dead compared to my iPhone 4G but a iQube V1 is in order along with an LOD so I'll get a real taste of what they can do soon enough.

Regardless, the mids are every bit as lush and smooth as described by everybody else here in this thread.

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #1,221 of 2,269

Quote:
Finally got my pair of MDs and loving them so far. Through my iPod 5.5G through the headphone jack it sounds rather dead compared to my iPhone 4G but a iQube V1 is in order along with an LOD so I'll get a real taste of what they can do soon enough.

Regardless, the mids are every bit as lush and smooth as described by everybody else here in this thread.

Glad you love them! And welcome to the MD Club!
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #1,222 of 2,269
Was just wondering, what tips do you guys use? Or where do you guys buy from? The Supertips cant stay in my ears, so I'm using the triple flanges but i cut off the smallest tip to make it a bi flange. And sometimes I use tips from my old bold 9000 earphones.. 

any recommendation on tips? as changing tips really changes the sound a lot on the MDs

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #1,223 of 2,269

Quote:
Was just wondering, what tips do you guys use? Or where do you guys buy from? The Supertips cant stay in my ears, so I'm using the triple flanges but i cut off the smallest tip to make it a bi flange. And sometimes I use tips from my old bold 9000 earphones.. 

any recommendation on tips? as changing tips really changes the sound a lot on the MDs

I just use comply's and flip them backwards. I find it does the decent job at keeping the sound relative to the original tuning, and stay comfortable for quite a while

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #1,224 of 2,269

I use modded small comply t500s (though their website recommends t400's). The tubing didn't need to be stretched. I just did the usual modding of cutting off the excess foam that comes after the filtering/tubing; and kept only the foam surrounding the tubing/filter.

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #1,226 of 2,269

Quote:
no need to mod mate, just flip them
wink.gif

xD
I'll try that when I next replace the current ones.

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #1,227 of 2,269

x2, treat the MD drivers with care. I believe both Anax and I learned this the hard way (replacing our first pair) and used controlled burn-in afterwards. 
I hope you didn't damage the driver but the MDs are very delicate.  I highly recommend only using music for burn in and not going excessively louder than you would listen to.  Do not use noise or tones on the MD.  Just quality music at normal volume the first week.  No joke.  They are the most sensitive drivers I have ever used.  I baby them beyond reason.  Treat it like a potted plant the first week and let it rest in between sessions.  I have no scientific basis for any of this only the experience of myself and others.  

Try different tips and fit.  If the don't open up again I fear they are damaged.

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #1,228 of 2,269
I like mine over the ear w/ Meelec M9/M11 bi-flanges.  They insert kind of up and in.  Pretty much resort to this for all my straight barrel IEMs now.  Gets me a straighter shot to the ear drum.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #1,229 of 2,269

+1 for the meelec bi-flanges...they are my go to tips...I have a pair of RE0 bi-flanges that are very similar that I also use...the bi flanges just seem to fit my ears better than anything else. I have had no luck whatsoever with the monster gels or foams.

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #1,230 of 2,269
Has anyone tried MD+RX2 or MD+IQUBE V1? (or pico slim)
I have a difficulty in picking the two..for size ofcoz RX2 is better, but I am not sure if RX2 would make the bass even more overwhelming...
I am looking for an amp offering better separation and clear presentation (which I think MD needs personally)...
IBASSO seems too big for me to be portable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back