Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Apr 3, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #1,186 of 2,269
Technically no it isn't.  Sounds like you understand the best way to handle things.  Tons of RMA info around if you want to find it.  Just do what you said.

I would also go easy on the burn and listening the first few days on the new ones.  The drivers can be delicate out of the box, IME.

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #1,187 of 2,269

Quote:
Technically no it isn't.  Sounds like you understand the best way to handle things.  Tons of RMA info around if you want to find it.  Just do what you said.

I would also go easy on the burn and listening the first few days on the new ones.  The drivers can be delicate out of the box, IME.

I agree, it happened to my first pair too, apparently no good end comes to attempts trying to burn in the MDs hastily with intensity =S *shrugs*

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #1,188 of 2,269
Thanks guys, hopefully I can sort it out and get a new pair and hear the sound (and bass) I'm missing out on.

Worst case scenario though, they tell me I've got fakes and I will have a bone to pick with the head-fier that sold them to me, but I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #1,189 of 2,269

Quote:
Thanks guys, hopefully I can sort it out and get a new pair and hear the sound (and bass) I'm missing out on.

Worst case scenario though, they tell me I've got fakes and I will have a bone to pick with the head-fier that sold them to me, but I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

Btw, do both sides sound the same bass wise?  It occurred to me that driver flex could have inverted your drivers.  That would =little if any bass.  Just curious at this point.

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #1,190 of 2,269
I would say yes they do sound as bass shy as each other. If there is an imbalance I cannot hear it.

They do have bass, but they are bass light/weak/lean compared to the Coppers, Atrios, IE8 and even the SM3!? I used the Monster test files that someone kindly uploaded for me and on both the copper and these MDs the bass is audible down to the 25hz file, but the copper has noticeably greater quantity across all test files 20hz-100hz.

If they have become inverted, is there a way to fix it?

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #1,191 of 2,269

Quote:
I would say yes they do sound as bass shy as each other. If there is an imbalance I cannot hear it.

They do have bass, but they are bass light/weak/lean compared to the Coppers, Atrios, IE8 and even the SM3!? I used the Monster test files that someone kindly uploaded for me and on both the copper and these MDs the bass is audible down to the 25hz file, but the copper has noticeably greater quantity across all test files 20hz-100hz.

If they have become inverted, is there a way to fix it?

Pop it back? It happened to my old IE7s somehow.. but I just forced the iem down my ear and sealed the vent and it went back to normal and it never happened again.. No vent on the md's so should be much easier, though may want to get more opinions before doing so I'm no expert.

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #1,193 of 2,269
Is this hard-case it comes with even usable? I'm about to order an Ultimate ear hard-case that is hte same for the triple-fis.......

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #1,194 of 2,269

Quote:
Is this hard-case it comes with even usable? I'm about to order an Ultimate ear hard-case that is hte same for the triple-fis.......

Usable but probably not of the best ergonomy, I still keeps them within my Astello Case =S , The cases that comes with it? Collector's Item to me LOL >.<

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #1,196 of 2,269

Quote:
hardly. its really just there for show. Although I do use the leather coin pouch it comes with. Its very low profile and easy enough to stow the IEM's away with.

The Monster coin pouches are awesome.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #1,197 of 2,269
What amps are you guys pairing up the MCMDs with?? I'm getting a set soon enough and want to know if specifically it pairs up well with a P-51 Mustang and a iQube V1. Just trying to figure out how good the synergy is with either amp before making a huge commitment towards one.

Regards,
Phuong

P.S. knubbe posted a while back where he got those custom molds but that website is down. Is there anywhere else that does custom molds for the MCMDs like the ones s/he posted?

Apr 5, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #1,198 of 2,269
My Pico does a good job not effecting the coloring too much; but adding a little transparency that the Miles Davis needs.

Interestingly, my Miles Davis sound better out of my Clip+ than from my HM-801; synergy wise they are good with the Clip+ as a source. Maybe I should buy the GAME card for my HM-801. I still have the original board for the HM801 not the free updated board.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #1,199 of 2,269

Quote:
My Pico does a good job not effecting the coloring too much; but adding a little transparency that the Miles Davis needs.

Interestingly, my Miles Davis sound better out of my Clip+ than from my HM-801; synergy wise they are good with the Clip+ as a source. Maybe I should buy the GAME card for my HM-801. I still have the original board for the HM801 not the free updated board.

Oh I hate my MDs with the Clip+.  Thin, weak and uninspiring are words that come to mind.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #1,200 of 2,269

Quote:
Oh I hate my MDs with the Clip+.  Thin, weak and uninspiring are words that come to mind.

Ditto! Compared to sounding out of my comp thru D4 DAC bypass, MD on Clip+ has in comparison, much more congested sound with very weakened spatial cues, bass also sounds more one-note and monotonous (though on its own not really so, just that it did if compared to performing on more suitable sources)

So far for me, When i wanted to get the best Spatial and Imaging experience outta MD i will listen thru D4 on my gaming desktop, while my J3 gave it more juice to the bass impact and visceral by sacrificing its spaciousness and imaging comparatively, Which both do leaves Clip+ as a source for MD in the dust more or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back