Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Feb 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #931 of 2,269
Hmm, Thought it did bother me when the left one slide off first, leave it look subtly weird, until the right one followed, now it looks alright LOL *self-consoles*

And yes, Inks and especially Anaxilus, I am trying to upgrade from my MDs or / and e-Q7 for a custom, right now am considering MG6PRO / JH16. Was wondering if you had gave MG6PRO an audition (if it made an appearance at CES show), I do like bass and timbre etc to be natural and lifelike (which is usually dynamic trait), Despite having friends who told me to shun FS customs at all costs because they are not worth the asking price especially when compared next to something like JH16.

But Inks and Anaxilus, how do you guys think? =S

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #932 of 2,269
I say JH16s because they're a safer bet and the Atrio customs may be limited in their technology. You can still get natural sounding bass and good timbre at that level from multi-BAs. I would also consider the 1964 quads though, since it seems to suit your taste signature wise. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #933 of 2,269

Quote:
I say JH16s because they're a safer bet and the Atrio customs may be limited in their technology. You can still get natural sounding bass and good timbre at that level from multi-BAs. I would also consider the 1964 quads though, since it seems to suit your taste signature wise. 

Hmm, Noted! =D , Btw how much does the FX700 sells? Am kinda very curious to get one too before i embark on the saving trip to JH16 / 1964QUADs o.O

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #934 of 2,269

Quote:

What!?! Hahahahaha, "Atrio customs may be limited in their technology"! WRONG Also wrong about "natural sounding bass" from a balanced armature custom--their technology is limited. I mean that literally, balanced armatures simply CANNOT move air in a way that is vital for human perception of bass (we hear AND we feel bass--the air moving component can not be duplicated by a balanced armature such as found in JH16s, they can only fake it). Even the JH-3A has this defect because it is balanced-armature based. The armature technology simply can not move the air.

Just to be absolutely clear for everyone, according to our own Head-fi Administrator, KWKarth, a senior audio engineer, balanced armature transducer technology hasn't progressed in decades, while dynamic drivers have been continuous innovated. Inks is simply unaware of this and wants to think that because people are forced to use many armatures (due to their technical limitations) that this means they are more advanced that a transducer technology that requires only a single driver to cover the entire frequency spectrum. 

Bottom line, the Future Sonics Ear Monitor have just upgraded their driver to the 13mm MG6pro, it requires no crossovers to easily cover the entire spectrum so sounds are coherent and real, gives bass no other mainstream custom can give, sounds incredibly natural with nothing boosted or fake, has fantastic soundstage. Also, the customer service from Future Sonics is perfect. Their clients are almost entirely musicians and music professionals, so they can't rely on hype.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #935 of 2,269

Quote:
. Was wondering if you had gave MG6PRO an audition (if it made an appearance at CES show), I do like bass and timbre etc to be natural and lifelike (which is usually dynamic trait), Despite having friends who told me to shun FS customs at all costs because they are not worth the asking price especially when compared next to something like JH16. 
Just to be clear, your friends have never heard the MG6pro. I have them, they are incredible professional monitors. They have tremendous naturalness, and timbre at treble, mids and bass. They have incredible, real bass which the JH16 or any other armature-based custom can't give you (they can only fake it because they cannot move the air). If you want a fake, colored sound, then they aren't for you.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #936 of 2,269

Quote:

Quote:
. Was wondering if you had gave MG6PRO an audition (if it made an appearance at CES show), I do like bass and timbre etc to be natural and lifelike (which is usually dynamic trait), Despite having friends who told me to shun FS customs at all costs because they are not worth the asking price especially when compared next to something like JH16. 
Just to be clear, your friends have never heard the MG6pro. I have them, they are incredible professional monitors. They have tremendous naturalness, and timbre at treble, mids and bass. They have incredible, real bass which the JH16 or any other armature-based custom can't give you (they can only fake it because they cannot move the air). If you want a fake, colored sound, then they aren't for you.

Wow thats great news to me! Thanks Meow, Think i be fixing my eyes on MG6PRO (after i grab a fx700), Shall go for a leap of faith! And yep i agree on the different of bass signature between BA and Dynamic .

(Thats why Ortofon have to try to imtegrate dynamic transducer into the Single BA Setup which becomes the classic e-q7 we have with us in the IEM world, which i have to conclude, is one of my favourite all-round universal, not that i have heard alot of customs though)

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #937 of 2,269
I could be wrong about the Atrios, but the JHs are still the safer bet. No offense, but Kunlun has been praising the Atrios constantly here no matter of the competitor. I fully understand that BAs cannot move air you've made that argument many times here and I have experienced it myself. I'm also partial to a dynamic's bass [ask EricP lol] but BAs can at least give you other aspects in the lower regions that dynamics have trouble with [speed/resolution/control]. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #938 of 2,269

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Wow thats great news to me! Thanks Meow, Think i be fixing my eyes on MG6PRO (after i grab a fx700), Shall go for a leap of faith! And yep i agree on the different of bass signature between BA and Dynamic .

(Thats why Ortofon have to try to imtegrate dynamic transducer into the Single BA Setup which becomes the classic e-q7 we have with us in the IEM world, which i have to conclude, is one of my favourite all-round universal, not that i have heard alot of customs though)

You won't be disappointed with FS Ear Monitors with the MG6pro. I certainly wasn't.
If you have any questions, you can always talk to the guys at Future Sonics. I even spoke to Marty Garcia, the owner (also the first guy to EVER put custom in-ear monitors on stage) personally, he was very kind and thoughtful.

I liked the eq-7 when I heard it, too.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #939 of 2,269

Quote:
I could be wrong about the Atrios, but the JHs are still the safer bet. No offense, but Kunlun has been praising the Atrios constantly here no matter of the competitor. 

You are wrong about the Atrios, but more than that you are completely wrong about dynamic drivers and armature transducers (something you have been wrong about in other threads as well).

Also, Atrios are universal iems, not customs, you seem to be pretty confused. I was the first to hear the new Atrios with 10mm MG7 drivers, so yes, I have been speaking about them. And if you look at my review of them on head-fi (do a search of reviews), you'll see it's quite balanced. Further, now that other people are hearing them, they are saying even more positive things than I said. Look it up, if facts are important to you.

As for Ear Monitors, those are the customs, I am almost the only one on head-fi with the new MG6pro version. Every word I say about them is true and they deserve a lot more notice.

It's a little sad that you want to take shots at people, but you don't even have your facts straight.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #940 of 2,269
Haven't heard the EQ7s but the EQ5s sound like your typical BAs to me, they're a lot closer to BAs than dynamics in my experience. That little movement of air does help it in the lower regions but I heard the FAD SS and even though it's a non moving BA the bass feels just as textured and reaching in about the same depths.  

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #941 of 2,269

Quote:
Haven't heard the EQ7s but the EQ5s sound like your typical BAs to me, they're a lot closer to BAs than dynamics in my experience.  

Well, we agree on this, at least. I do like the eq-7, but they didn't have the moving-air bass of the monster turbine pro dynamic line.

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #942 of 2,269

Quote:

Quote:
Haven't heard the EQ7s but the EQ5s sound like your typical BAs to me, they're a lot closer to BAs than dynamics in my experience.  

Well, we agree on this, at least. I do like the eq-7, but they didn't have the moving-air bass of the monster turbine pro dynamic line.

Yep, Bass-wise it still don't trounce the MD i have on the other hand. e-Q7 is more like a thoroughbreed of BA + Dynamic's Jack of all trades, but match up against the pure breeds on the house sig it won completely win.

Not as flat-analytical on details as ER4P or the dissective UM3X around the same RRP on my side nor does it move air and a smooth atmospheric bass like the MTPs (Golds and MD in particular), But i guess it well satisfy the contradictive fussiness of the audiophile in us =)

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #943 of 2,269
Saying I'm wrong without getting into specifics isn't of any help now is it? If there's something I was wrong about was about the FADs not being MAs but normal BAs but they're still using some technology that unknown to us. I was pretty much making the argument you're making toward Eric when it came to the bass of BAs if that's another you want to bring up. I'm still getting at what you said but the streghts of the Atrios are sounding a bit overblown, I wouldn't rule out the JHs in those aspects so quickly. Put it simply for customs there has just been a lot more advancement with BA drivers, regardless of your taste in DDs (and mine) they are still the minority in this market and have more room for growth and impressions on them are scarce we don't really know where they stand. 

When I say Atrios I obviously meant the customs because of the question that was brought up.  How am I trying to take a shot at you? There's nothing wrong with pointing out what might be an obvious bias with a disclaimer added, if anything I'm surprised at the personal takes from your end. 

Quote:
Quote:
I could be wrong about the Atrios, but the JHs are still the safer bet. No offense, but Kunlun has been praising the Atrios constantly here no matter of the competitor. 

You are wrong about the Atrios, but more than that you are completely wrong about dynamic drivers and armature transducers (something you have been wrong about in other threads as well).

Also, Atrios are universal iems, not customs, you seem to be pretty confused. I was the first to hear the new Atrios with 10mm MG7 drivers, so yes, I have been speaking about them. And if you look at my review of them on head-fi (do a search of reviews), you'll see it's quite balanced. Further, now that other people are hearing them, they are saying even more positive things than I said. Look it up, if facts are important to you.

As for Ear Monitors, those are the customs, I am almost the only one on head-fi with the new MG6pro version. Every word I say about them is true and they deserve a lot more notice.

It's a little sad that you want to take shots at people, but you don't even have your facts straight.

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #944 of 2,269

Quote:
I highly recommend wearing them over the ear w/ silicone guides.  Never had issues w/ my strain reliefs.  Drivers seem very sensitive to flex.  Some report losing a channel which I suspect is the cause if not the cable.  Mine still goes strong, knock-on-wood.  

That's how I use my Coppers....with Phonak silicone guides and have had no problems. I think Monster should include them in their "one of everything" packaging as they're a little heavier than most IEMs and really do benefit from wearing them over the ear.

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #945 of 2,269
Just pulled the trigger on a set of these MDs, my first decent set of IEMs (currently using ancient Sennheiser CX300s).  I've spent far too much time trying to decide on a pair and was all set to get the IE8 until I read some of the glowing reviews in this thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back