Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
May 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #2,131 of 2,269
Quote:
I can. That exact same thing happened on my pair. These are a fail as far as I am concerned. They can sound like heaven as ascended on your ears but what good is that when your housing is in 2 pieces. If the sound is not broken I would try a small controlled dab of surperglue to put the housing back together. My pair now will never come apart like this again.  The funny thing is my $7.11 Mp 8320 is built stronger than these. Those I stepped on several times and still sound like they are brand new.

These are head scratching indeed.

The problem is, im not even sure if its worth fixing (these were given to me for free) because i can't tell if they're real or fake, they sure sound nice though. 
Any details as to how i can tell they're real/fake ? 

May 14, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #2,132 of 2,269
Quote:
The problem is, im not even sure if its worth fixing (these were given to me for free) because i can't tell if they're real or fake, they sure sound nice though. 

As far as I remember, if the screens on the tips look like this ^, your good. If they are recessed, they're fake.

May 14, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #2,133 of 2,269
Quote:

I had copied this from earlier in this thread. I forget who wrote it:

My "real" MDs came from J&R as well and the back of the earphones are defiantly plastic... which look just like the fake ones I bought from a seller on Amazon. The fake set 1.) Came with tiny clear films over the Miles Davis signature directly on the earphone. 2.) The hard case they came with had a black ribbon with Miles signature on the inside top portion of the case. 3.) The metal around the grill on the earphones are thicker than any on the Pro line or authentic MDs. 4.) The Miles CDs were not inside the box as the originals had.  5.) None of the tips that came with the fakes had super tips written on the packaging.  6.) the fakes had a very crude sticker on the inside of the hard case with a serial number. 7.) The sound on the fakes were recessed in the mids and highs with a incredibly distorted and bloated low end, quite nasty in every aspect. So why did I buy the fakes? To check out the difference, and share it. I was confident Amazon would go to bat for me if I had trouble with the return, which I did not, they even payed the return shipping.  As before, they look and feel identical in the hand EXCEPT the metal thickness around the grill.

also, to add to your observations, the gold plating is way too...rich in color, right near the strain reliefs, there is a vertical mold line that was just plated with gold making it very noticeable. the nozzle/filter is depressed instead of bulging out a little. also, though the body is a very rich gold, the gold tipping/decor near the far end of the strain relief is slightly less rich in color and thus contrasts with the body. anywho, the clip's design is also different from the real ones, they have a swivel joint instead of a simple alligator teeth.Though I doubt anybody could tell these differences if they have never used or had in there possession the real one for more than a bit of time. Honestly, they didn't sound that bad to my ears, but it's the thought that you got ripped off that makes you want to smash them.

May 14, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #2,134 of 2,269
Quote:

I had copied this from earlier in this thread. I forget who wrote it:

My "real" MDs came from J&R as well and the back of the earphones are defiantly plastic... which look just like the fake ones I bought from a seller on Amazon. The fake set 1.) Came with tiny clear films over the Miles Davis signature directly on the earphone. 2.) The hard case they came with had a black ribbon with Miles signature on the inside top portion of the case. 3.) The metal around the grill on the earphones are thicker than any on the Pro line or authentic MDs. 4.) The Miles CDs were not inside the box as the originals had.  5.) None of the tips that came with the fakes had super tips written on the packaging.  6.) the fakes had a very crude sticker on the inside of the hard case with a serial number. 7.) The sound on the fakes were recessed in the mids and highs with a incredibly distorted and bloated low end, quite nasty in every aspect. So why did I buy the fakes? To check out the difference, and share it. I was confident Amazon would go to bat for me if I had trouble with the return, which I did not, they even payed the return shipping.  As before, they look and feel identical in the hand EXCEPT the metal thickness around the grill.

also, to add to your observations, the gold plating is way too...rich in color, right near the strain reliefs, there is a vertical mold line that was just plated with gold making it very noticeable. the nozzle/filter is depressed instead of bulging out a little. also, though the body is a very rich gold, the gold tipping/decor near the far end of the strain relief is slightly less rich in color and thus contrasts with the body. anywho, the clip's design is also different from the real ones, they have a swivel joint instead of a simple alligator teeth.Though I doubt anybody could tell these differences if they have never used or had in there possession the real one for more than a bit of time. Honestly, they didn't sound that bad to my ears, but it's the thought that you got ripped off that makes you want to smash them.

Yeh i realised the little section where the strain relief is, the colour is different from the shell, as well as the recessed filter and overall bad quality these are, Thank you ! 

May 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2,136 of 2,269
Give it a shot. T400 will fit the iem. Maybe go for an assortment pack with different size T400s.

May 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #2,139 of 2,269
Refurbished Tributes are on sale now at the Monster Outlet Store online for $149.95.

http://www.monstercable.com/outletstore/linelist.asp

May 22, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #2,140 of 2,269
That price is a double edged sword. 90 day warranty on refurbished. Plus, you're probably getting the IEM's in a poly bag without the extras. There's no mention of contents. And after all that, it's final sale. 
eek.gif

May 24, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #2,142 of 2,269
I received a pair today, however I found them a little warm for my tastes. They have excellent bass, it really thumps compared to my regular Turbines. but overall their signature is too warm for me. I prefer a brighter IEM. I could easily listen to them for hours if they were all I had but when I A/B them to the likes of Yamaha EPH-100 and TF10 that's when they come across to bloated for my tastes. Separation could be better but I would say it's on par with TF10 in that area, the highs let me down a little, again coming from TF10. Mids were present / full bodied, excpect they can't keep up with clarity of Yamaha EPH-100's. You can hear their strengh compared to regular Turbines, they sound like regular turbines on steroids, that bass goes very, very deep with excellent layering.  They were pushing a fair amount of air combined with an E11.

I only bought them to compare which I have done and moving them on. 

May 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #2,144 of 2,269
Need a recommendation to those who have heard the MDT. I really love the warm sound signature of these. However a few dislikes such as cable tangling easy and just a very "flashy" design. Phones I have heard were: of course these, hf3, and Westone 3. Hf3 was way too analytical for me and while I was in love with my Weston's until I heard the MDT. Now I prefer this sound signature over the w3. Can anyone recommend a pair of phones with a similar sound signature to the MDT, no tangling low microphonic cable like the w3?

May 24, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #2,145 of 2,269
^ Same here

I know little to nothing about IEMs. I haphazardly purchased the Miles Davis Tributes when they were on fire sale for like $150. They're really awesome sounding IEMs, but a couple things bother me. One, the build quality is really low. Two, they're really flashy and look kinda weird in my ears. Three, they have insane microphonics and driver flex.

I was wondering if anyone knew of IEMs that have similar sound signature to the MDTs. Because I listen to mostly jazz, RNB, hip hop, classical, and acoustic rock, this sound signature is absolutely perfect for me, but the headphones themselves are kind of janky.

Price doesn't matter too much, I want something that would definitely not sound -worse-, preferably something that sounds -better-, but let's not get carried away with like thousands of dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back