Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
May 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #2,146 of 2,269
Hi fellow head-fi'ers. I just purchased these off a member here on the boards and wanted to see if you guys can validate that they're legit. the screens look good, but based off the video, supposedly the gold part is supposed to be metal. To be honest, I really can't tell the difference so hopefully one of you could chime in.

Thanks in advance!!

May 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #2,147 of 2,269
Quote:
Hi fellow head-fi'ers. I just purchased these off a member here on the boards and wanted to see if you guys can validate that they're legit. the screens look good, but based off the video, supposedly the gold part is supposed to be metal. To be honest, I really can't tell the difference so hopefully one of you could chime in.

Thanks in advance!!

Those are real. Exactly the same as the ones I have. 

May 24, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #2,148 of 2,269
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!

They are real, I read this whole thread here two days ago.

From my understanding Monster changed the build about half way through production to the plastic back housing. or they were always plastic? One of those two reasons.... Mine are exactly the same. It's like another case where earlier models came with a serial number on the Y splitter which mine don't have. The easiest way to tell is the mesh grills to my understanding. You're good to go. 

May 25, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #2,151 of 2,269
Quote:
Need a recommendation to those who have heard the MDT. I really love the warm sound signature of these. However a few dislikes such as cable tangling easy and just a very "flashy" design. Phones I have heard were: of course these, hf3, and Westone 3. Hf3 was way too analytical for me and while I was in love with my Weston's until I heard the MDT. Now I prefer this sound signature over the w3. Can anyone recommend a pair of phones with a similar sound signature to the MDT, no tangling low microphonic cable like the w3?

Quote:
^ Same here
I know little to nothing about IEMs. I haphazardly purchased the Miles Davis Tributes when they were on fire sale for like $150. They're really awesome sounding IEMs, but a couple things bother me. One, the build quality is really low. Two, they're really flashy and look kinda weird in my ears. Three, they have insane microphonics and driver flex.
I was wondering if anyone knew of IEMs that have similar sound signature to the MDTs. Because I listen to mostly jazz, RNB, hip hop, classical, and acoustic rock, this sound signature is absolutely perfect for me, but the headphones themselves are kind of janky.
Price doesn't matter too much, I want something that would definitely not sound -worse-, preferably something that sounds -better-, but let's not get carried away with like thousands of dollars.

I was looking for an IEM with a similar sound signature to the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 and found it in the MDT, I had tried so my IEMS looking for this sound signature.  I can't tell you what other IEMS sound like the MDT since I have not found any but if you check my signature under "The Money Pit", you can pretty much rule out anything in my past.  The closest that I have owned would be the MTPC but that does not really help your situation since it's another Monster product.

I did get a recommendation from ljokerl for the MDT or RE262. 

May 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #2,152 of 2,269
Quote:

I was looking for an IEM with a similar sound signature to the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 and found it in the MDT, I had tried so my IEMS looking for this sound signature.  I can't tell you what other IEMS sound like the MDT since I have not found any but if you check my signature under "The Money Pit", you can pretty much rule out anything in my past.  The closest that I have owned would be the MTPC but that does not really help your situation since it's another Monster product.

I did get a recommendation from ljokerl for the MDT or RE262. 

awesome thanks so much! will look into the audio technica and re262

May 26, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #2,154 of 2,269
Quote:
Wow, the RE262s look awesome. Maybe I'll get those... will research moar.

hey 
I read your other post and I'm in the exact same position in terms of music preference, with the addition of dubstep and electro. Did they actually sound good for all those genres, and how about hip hop, good visceral impact? Or was the bass very slow and melow? 

May 26, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #2,155 of 2,269
Hi Waki,
If you're talking about the Miles Davis Tributes, here's my opinion.

The Tributes sound AMAZING with Jazz, hip hop, RNB, and anything acoustic (folk rock, acoustic rock, vocal heavy music).

Classical music fares relatively well, although the coloration of the tribs is noticeable, it will be pleasant but not an "Accurate" listening experience which for classical perhaps is of important.

I've actually had good experience with electro music on this IEM. I listen to a lot of house and edm music, although perhaps not dubstep, pretty similar. I mean, it's an IEM, so you're not going to be feeling insane heart shaking bass, but I really enjoy listening to house music on my MDTs.

The MDTs also do really well with rock music.

Honestly I could imagine the MDTs not bringing out the most in things like metal music or other sharp, highly produced types of stuff, but if you've got music tastes like mine, the MDTs are amazing.

My complaints with the MDTs lie in their build quality (my strain reliefs both broke on the same day, I tried to glue them back but they just rip again), the microphonics, the heaviness, and the flashiness (not necessarily bad although I can't help but feel a bit dumb with two golden plugs coming out of my head).

Overall, amazing sounding IEM, the reason I'm trying to find similar ones is because the sound is amazing but the build is not quite so.

May 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #2,156 of 2,269
Quote:
Hi Waki,
If you're talking about the Miles Davis Tributes, here's my opinion.
The Tributes sound AMAZING with Jazz, hip hop, RNB, and anything acoustic (folk rock, acoustic rock, vocal heavy music).
Classical music fares relatively well, although the coloration of the tribs is noticeable, it will be pleasant but not an "Accurate" listening experience which for classical perhaps is of important.
I've actually had good experience with electro music on this IEM. I listen to a lot of house and edm music, although perhaps not dubstep, pretty similar. I mean, it's an IEM, so you're not going to be feeling insane heart shaking bass, but I really enjoy listening to house music on my MDTs.
The MDTs also do really well with rock music.
Honestly I could imagine the MDTs not bringing out the most in things like metal music or other sharp, highly produced types of stuff, but if you've got music tastes like mine, the MDTs are amazing.
My complaints with the MDTs lie in their build quality (my strain reliefs both broke on the same day, I tried to glue them back but they just rip again), the microphonics, the heaviness, and the flashiness (not necessarily bad although I can't help but feel a bit dumb with two golden plugs coming out of my head).
Overall, amazing sounding IEM, the reason I'm trying to find similar ones is because the sound is amazing but the build is not quite so.

interesting thanks, but yeah they sound good for my music preference because my biggest genres are jazz, Hip Hop, Dubstep, and Electro/House. I did already order them a few days back ^^, so hopefully they fair well in terms of Build :/

May 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #2,157 of 2,269
They're not that bad in terms of build. You just can't carry them around in your pocket like I do. I bike around a lot and bring them everywhere with me, and then the strain reliefs broke. Plus the microphonics are pretty bad.

If you're just using them at home it should be perfectly fine. They are great sounding IEMs. And helped me discover my favorite sound signature.

May 26, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #2,158 of 2,269
If you don't manhandle them, they'll last. Care in stowing and handling is needed with MMDT. I put mine in a zip hardshell case. The three cases that came in the package I found useless. When taking them from the case, the heads are weighty and it's easy for them to swing and tangle. When I remove them from the ears, I grab the shell, not the wires and not the strain relief.

May 26, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #2,159 of 2,269
My sister bought them when I did when that fire sale was going on. They arrived broken on side didn't work. So she sent them back for them to replace.....they sent trumpets instead she never got to hear the tributes and is not happy at all they sent other pair than what she ordered originally.

May 26, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #2,160 of 2,269
FieldingMellish is right.

I'm the type of person who doesn't have time to fiddle with cases and stuff, so I just tie my IEMs up and put them in my pocket. I don't manhandle them or rip them or anything, but being in a pocket can jumble them around the place enough that the more fragile parts break (a la my strain reliefs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back