Monoprice Monolith M565C closed planar headphones impressions thread
Jun 25, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #46 of 105
Got these Oppo PM3 pads (leather option)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255436471851

They fit the M565C almost perfectly (105x85mm), just need a find a way to attach velcro on them
PXL_20220625_110915600.jpg

Soundwise they work well, really wake up the bass and keep the top-end well controlled. It sounds more mellow and seductive than the stock pads. A bit like a HD600 on steroids (deeper bass). Soundstage is also more deep and involving, it has that "pop up" I love with big pads. Dynamics are decent but I would say the only possible limitation of this headphone (maybe I'm nitpicking).

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #48 of 105
hi all,

sorry for the thread revival, but can these be run balanced? ive got some coming
Yes, I have been since I first got them, just need to change the cable

Oct 1, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #49 of 105
Hi, thank you for the quick reply,

I bought these to replace my a-t msr7b,

First use last night was immediately met by swmbo saying they were too noisy 😭 so by all accounts these leak sound badly.

So back to Amazon.

Does anyone have any recommendations for replacement of the 7b that's not going to leak?

Oct 10, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #50 of 105
Hi, thank you for the quick reply,

I bought these to replace my a-t msr7b,

First use last night was immediately met by swmbo saying they were too noisy 😭 so by all accounts these leak sound badly.

So back to Amazon.

Does anyone have any recommendations for replacement of the 7b that's not going to leak?
MSR7b and M565C sound very different to me, I prefer the latter.

Similar sounding upgrade to MSR7b would be MDR-Z7M2, it has a soft presentation as well. For similar but more dynamic and aggressive sound, you could check out WP900. I think both cans don't leak much. Anyhow, best option if you're concerned about leak is to use IEM.

Oct 10, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #51 of 105
Pads link for my ones...
Fantastic comfort and best FR balance I found for my ears - rolling 6 sets of pads...love that ear contact material...feels like wool suit material.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000163205810.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.3a994c4d8hN25K

Still hunting for my simple mods list, may just retype them.

M565Cs have unseated my 2016 LCD-XCs now...better balance....

I would second that, I tried about 4 pairs of pads, these ended up being the best
I got these pads, thanks.

Comfort is definitely up.

Mids more open. However I've lost sub bass.

I think it's because of thick 3M velcro pieces I'm using for pads; there are space gaps around them.

Is there a better way to attach these pads onto M565C's velcro?

20221010_112013.jpg

Oct 10, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #53 of 105

I think it's because of thick 3M velcro pieces I'm using for pads; there are space gaps around them.

Double-sided tape same as Audeze, can get 3M stuff etc...do not use velcro...take stock velcro off baffle with a blunt knife...careful not to peel planar dust filter off at same time, there may be overlap.
Put double-side tape on baffle - *not* the earpads.

Sub-bass is huge and deep and does not bleed into upper region with BTR7 which goes excellently with them.

I have 2 sets of M565C and may pick up more in case they go out of production.
Love them to death.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #54 of 105

I used 3m double sided tape for a while, but eventually I glued some magnets on the headphones and made thin plywood peices with magnets in them for the pads, used a peice of leather as a gasket.
No bass roll off

Oct 10, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #55 of 105
Double-sided tape same as Audeze, can get 3M stuff etc...do not use velcro...take stock velcro off baffle with a blunt knife...careful not to peel planar dust filter off at same time, there may be overlap.

Sub-bass is huge with BTR7 which goes excellently with them.

I have 2 sets of M565C and may pick up more.
Love them to death, and that is after owning these cans....

**PLANARZZZZZ**
Fostex T50 Mk-2/3 (5 sets)
HFM HE-400
HFM HE-500
HFM HE-5XX

HFM Sundara (2019)

HFM Sundara (2020)
HFM Ananda
HFM Arya
HFM HE-1000SE

Monoprice M1060C (2 sets)
Monoprice M565C (3 sets)
Monoprice M570
Monoprice M1570

Audeze Sine
Audeze iSine10
Audeze iSine20
Audeze LCD-i3 (2)
Audeze LCD-i4
Audeze LCD Mobius
Audeze LCD-1
Audeze LCD-2.1 (2)
Audeze LCD-2F
Audeze LCD-2C
Audeze LCD-2CB (2)
Audeze LCD-3 (2022)
Audeze LCD-34 *(Low run in-house hybrid of 3 planar disc + 4 double fluxor prototype can apparently)
Audeze LCD-XC (2016)
Audeze LCD-X + Bubinga Cups (2021)
Audeze LCD-4z (2021) - Pads + mesh revision version
Audeze LCD-4 (2020) - Custom Cups
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog

DCA AeonC
DCA Aeon2C
DCA Ether CX
Meze Empyrian
Kennerton Odin Thridi
ThieAudio Phantom
Quad Era-1
Verum 1 V1
Verum 1 V2
Gold Planar GL400
You rate them that highly? What makes them stand out?

Oct 10, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #56 of 105

Sub-bass is huge with BTR7 which goes excellently with them.

I have 2 sets of M565C and may pick up more.
Love them to death, and that is after owning these cans....

**PLANARZZZZZ**
Fostex T50 Mk-2/3 (5 sets)
HFM HE-400
HFM HE-500
HFM HE-5XX

HFM Sundara (2019)

HFM Sundara (2020)
HFM Ananda
HFM Arya
HFM HE-1000SE

Monoprice M1060C (2 sets)
Monoprice M565C (3 sets)
Monoprice M570
Monoprice M1570

Audeze Sine
Audeze iSine10
Audeze iSine20
Audeze LCD-i3 (2)
Audeze LCD-i4
Audeze LCD Mobius
Audeze LCD-1
Audeze LCD-2.1 (2)
Audeze LCD-2F
Audeze LCD-2C
Audeze LCD-2CB (2)
Audeze LCD-3 (2022)
Audeze LCD-34 *(Low run in-house hybrid of 3 planar disc + 4 double fluxor prototype can apparently)
Audeze LCD-XC (2016)
Audeze LCD-X + Bubinga Cups (2021)
Audeze LCD-4z (2021) - Pads + mesh revision version
Audeze LCD-4 (2020) - Custom Cups
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog

DCA AeonC
DCA Aeon2C
DCA Ether CX
Meze Empyrian
Kennerton Odin Thridi
ThieAudio Phantom
Quad Era-1
Verum 1 V1
Verum 1 V2
Gold Planar GL400

I used 3m double sided tape for a while, but eventually I glued some magnets on the headphones and made thin plywood peices with magnets in them for the pads, used a peice of leather as a gasket.
No bass roll off
Thanks both. I will try double sided tape for now.

Good to know about BTR7 combo! I initially got M565C early last year but had to return them since one screw was loose and screw cap would not stay on. Just filthy subbass when paired with Monolith THX Portable dac/amp. So I repurchased them recently, new unit has sturdier screw section and noticeably darker cups. Don't have Monolith THX any longer, but coincidentally I have BTR7 coming in this week and am looking forward to pushing M565C with its THX amps.

Oct 14, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #57 of 105
m565c are at 30% discount now (121€ in EU), I've bought them and I really am surprised by the quality. They beat all my cheap closed studio headphones for sure, from every point of view, and I have yet to compare them to my best hifi HPs. Really smooth frequency response without losing anything in detail, and excellent imaging and soundstage.
The only thing I don't like is comfort. I've already seen someone buying the chinese compatible headband on aliexpress just to realize that it does not fit; Is there no ready-made alternative (I'm not good at DIY)? The stock headband is not only uncomfortable, it's just too short for me, even at the max position, and clamps over the head.
Moreover, on monoprice website they do not seem to sell spares even for the earpads...
Anyway, I would like to change the earpads too ( openings are too small for my ears), but I would not alter the FR, that is good for me just as it is with stock pads. It's a shame they have done such a 'miniature' headphone, it's just so good for sound...

Oct 14, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #58 of 105
m565c are at 30% discount now (121€ in EU), I've bought them and I really am surprised by the quality. They beat all my cheap closed studio headphones for sure, from every point of view, and I have yet to compare them to my best hifi HPs. Really smooth frequency response without losing anything in detail, and excellent imaging and soundstage.
The only thing I don't like is comfort. I've already seen someone buying the chinese compatible headband on aliexpress just to realize that it does not fit; Is there no ready-made alternative (I'm not good at DIY)? The stock headband is not only uncomfortable, it's just too short for me, even at the max position, and clamps over the head.
Moreover, on monoprice website they do not seem to sell spares even for the earpads...
Anyway, I would like to change the earpads too ( openings are too small for my ears), but I would not alter the FR, that is good for me just as it is with stock pads. It's a shame they have done such a 'miniature' headphone, it's just so good for sound...
I have tried a few headbands and the hifiman he4xx headband was the easiest to attach.
I can take a few pictures tomorrow and maybe explain how I did it for you if you would like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back