Monoprice Monolith M565C closed planar headphones impressions thread
Feb 1, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #76 of 105
Guess we could call it semi-open

Feb 1, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #77 of 105
Still loving my M565C's as my beater can...have 2 sets which sound different first darker/bassier...2nd seems to have more detail/vivid in a year later run if they had improved with silent revision.....anyway love both sets equally.

If they just had that notch more in imaging ability, they'd be perfect sub 1k cans...IMO.
So under-rated....heavy, heavy use still going strong maybe 2+ years now ?

Balanced cable from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193775624121?var=494007397719 ...great cable builder...vanilla OFC copper.

Earpads are grey fenestrated soft cloth aliX ones I posted ages ago in the thread...really even things out in subs and treble.

Paintstripper gel and steelwool (wear protective gloves) gets the cups back to that hidden beauty but look at back/interior of cups to asses grain/tone before stripping to see if its worth doing..you get lucky, then they are mirrored in grain and same tone like below....then clear lacquer spray is fine to seal or other finishes.
4) Monoprice M565C:M570.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #78 of 105
Thanks for your response, it's very helpful. Can you elaborate on what do you mean by the quote above? They are almost open in the sense that they are not over-dampened like the M1060C?
Had a moment today and was able to remove the cups, seems there is a difference, if to remove the wood then you get a wee bit more detials

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #79 of 105
Useful to have a closed back around.....

In stock form I wasn`t impressed.
So then the "Billie-Jean" pad swap so many like, and removing a layer of foam?
Spent the other night quite happily listening away without the urge to swap cans. That says to me they are probably close to optimum already.

Looking forward to mucking around with these a bit more, fun hobbyist cans for sure.

Jun 3, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #80 of 105
Cayin RU7 goes veeery well with these cans....elliptical headstage on them and width goes out the cans to the side and kind of just before tip of nose front to back.....all instruments render larger in perceived size than likes of BTR7 at similar volumes.
Kind of a mix of best of entry-level R2R and delta-sigma technical aspects.

I only listen on moderate volume, and they have no farty loss of cohesion bass issues.
I've listened to DACs/DAPs under 1k that sound "worse" than this dongle....great synergy anyway for those of you looking for an all-in-one device that goes well with M565C.

Would love to have had these 2 on the market 10 years ago when I first got into this hobby.
I could honestly give up my better gear and be fine with RU7 and M565C only.

Jun 3, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #81 of 105
Cayin RU7 goes veeery well with these cans....elliptical headstage on them and width goes out the cans to the side and kind of just before tip of nose front to back.....all instruments render larger in perceived size than likes of BTR7 at similar volumes.
Kind of a mix of best of entry-level R2R and delta-sigma technical aspects.

I only listen on moderate volume, and they have no farty loss of cohesion bass issues.
I've listened to DACs/DAPs under 1k that sound "worse" than this dongle....great synergy anyway for those of you looking for an all-in-one device that goes well with M565C.

Would love to have had these 2 on the market 10 years ago when I first got into this hobby.
I could honestly give up my better gear and be fine with RU7 and M565C only.
Your post made me want to listen to them again. Really well tuned headphones for the price, I mean this is basically a closed-back HD600 with proper bass response... Incredible for the price, even in its stock form. I think I like them more with the stock pads than the PM3 leather pads I specifically purchased for them. They have a good mix of balance and dynamics. I just wish they had a bit more impact/body, but it's not as bad as I remembered.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #82 of 105
Haven't listened to m565c in a few months. One cup's connector is loose. Been waiting for RMA since February. Looks like they should be back in stock later this month though. Annoying wait but five year replacement warranty is impressive.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=29514

Jun 3, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #83 of 105
Your post made me want to listen to them again. Really well tuned headphones for the price, I mean this is basically a closed-back HD600 with proper bass response... Incredible for the price, even in its stock form. I think I like them more with the stock pads than the PM3 leather pads I specifically purchased for them. They have a good mix of balance and dynamics. I just wish they had a bit more impact/body, but it's not as bad as I remembered.
Did you try the double-sided tape adhesion of the pads I suggested further back...aliX grey ones...
The bass body improves..impact a bit also.

With RU7 the holographic imaging and cohesion top-to-bottom is great...treble shimmer vs treble 'sizzle' with sabre mobile DACs.
Also, I'd say bigger/deeper bass vs BTR7...Great to have sound out beyond the cups now with RU7....layering is fantastic.
Great pairing. I think there will be a growth of the 1-bit DAC devices now.

I think someone mentioned futher up the page that taking the cups off M565C made them sound like a crappy Hifiman ...I find all HFM below HE-1000se to have brittle icy treble...so surprised they still have not got their top-to-bottom tonality act together since 2009...saving their correct tunings for the summit-fi cans Susvara/HE-1000SE...the rest of the line-up are wonked tonally in some way.

I would love to get my hands on Kennerton Rognir to test out....I find the external design quite ugly on Rognir...the cups look like mason/jam jar lids..really clunky and simple cups...and the headband is pretty crap...but supposed to be "best" closed-back planar on the market.

Attachments

• IMG_20230528_091005.jpg
    IMG_20230528_091005.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #84 of 105
Did you try the double-sided tape adhesion of the pads I suggested further back...aliX grey ones...
The bass body improves..impact a bit also.

With RU7 the holographic imaging and cohesion top-to-bottom is great...treble shimmer vs treble 'sizzle' with sabre mobile DACs.
Also, I'd say bigger/deeper bass vs BTR7...Great to have sound out beyond the cups now with RU7....layering is fantastic.
Great pairing. I think there will be a growth of the 1-bit DAC devices now.

I think someone mentioned futher up the page that taking the cups off M565C made them sound like a crappy Hifiman ...I find all HFM below HE-1000se to have brittle icy treble...so surprised they still have not got their top-to-bottom tonality act together since 2009...saving their correct tunings for the summit-fi cans Susvara/HE-1000SE...the rest of the line-up are wonked tonally in some way.

I would love to get my hands on Kennerton Rognir to test out....I find the design quite ugly on Rognir...the cups look like mason/jam jars..really clunky and simple cups...and the headband is pretty crap.

Re-laquering my M565C cups just now...2 bad boy open-back cans in the background.

:L3000:
IMG_20230528_091005.jpg
I think that me was about Hifiman :ksc75smile:(even the Susvara I didn't really like it when I heard it briefly at a convention, it sounded a bit thin to my ears... and I found the R10P terrible for the price)

Good point about the tape. But I'm not using velcro with the PM3 pads and I still think they lack body despite the very good bass. Do you think the tape would help in that case? Basically the PM3 pads just sit on the drivers unattached.

Jun 3, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #85 of 105
I think that me was about Hifiman :ksc75smile:(even the Susvara I didn't really like it when I heard it briefly at a convention, it sounded a bit thin to my ears... and I found the R10P terrible for the price)

Good point about the tape. But I'm not using velcro with the PM3 pads and I still think they lack body despite the very good bass. Do you think the tape would help in that case? Basically the PM3 pads just sit on the drivers unattached.
Should do. Give it a try if you are sure of those pads.

Jun 3, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #86 of 105
Using those Ali pads that Lohb mentions glued...
Bit of a revelation tonight after I forgot to actually to take the sizing adjuster up a notch after modding them. :face_palm:

I just wish they had a bit more impact/body, but it's not as bad as I remembered.
I think these really can scale well ...using mine with Icon Audio Hp8 MK2 and some tube combinations play into those traits for sure.

Jun 4, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #87 of 105
Using those Ali pads that Lohb mentions glued...
Bit of a revelation tonight after I forgot to actually to take the sizing adjuster up a notch after modding them. :face_palm:

I think these really can scale well ...using mine with Icon Audio Hp8 MK2 and some tube combinations play into those traits for sure.
Maybe that could help indeed but I think it has to do with the magnet structure, since it's a lightweight headphone. Oddly enough I feel like even the Sine have more body and impact and sound closer to a full-size planar on the same setup (K5 pro). But that's my only critical point with the headphone really. I think all the rest is top notch, especially the soundstage.

Jul 2, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #88 of 105
After more time with Cayin RU7 and M565C... really is a buy-and-done combo for mid-fi under 1k sound level stack..great great
synergy.
Layering goes out beyond the wood cups with it..the little unit upsamples to DSD256...really excellent instrument layering actually.
There is a kind of unmistakeable veneer to the presentation vs unaltered bitperfect - but its cohesive and fluid....really shows treble well...a fluid shimmer in that region vs icy sizzle of Sabre DAC gear which also kind of separates instrumentation out in disjointed delta-sigma chunks....I think 1-bit is also delta-sigma at its core but implemented a different way..not up 100% on 1-bit reading yet.

Essentially it sounds like the best of entry-level R2R combined with the detail extraction of better Sabre implementation (9038Pro)...= fluid sound cohesion+micro-detail.

These cans really don't need more than 1watt headroom if at all, it's all about finding a refined synergistic device. Over-powering them does seem to show a bit ouf break-up distortion so they are not really built to be slammmed by moar power.
Will be saying goodbye to my BTR7 now.

Only thing I'd like to add to mine is a community 'Fazor/waveguide' - one guy in Ireland was good at 3D design of that stuff..it would deal with that added brogue in the male vocal region and imaging ability..it would also extend the treble - with a step in the direction towards a more neutral/natural tone from 'warmish' based on LCD-2C/F with and without fazors and how those things affect tonailty of planar units.

I think these cans might be discountinued, or just out of stock ?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #89 of 105
Jul 7, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #90 of 105
Received my new batch replacement pair of M565C. More coherent tuning than flagship M1570C. Excellent customer service from Monoprice once again.
20230707_124825.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back