Monoprice Monolith M565C closed planar headphones impressions thread
Oct 19, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #61 of 105
My new balanced cable came today, shame I'm still waiting for the m1060c
20221019_144258.jpg

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #62 of 105
yes, absolutely, thank you :)
Sorry I didn't get back to you, ruzzian nazi's are currently blowing up anything related to energy in my country, so I only yesterday had light and electricity.

So, I removed the small bolt that holds the headband to the cups, then I found a similar sized bolt with a wider head and simply switched the gimbals
IMG_20221021_153419.jpg
IMG_20221021_153440.jpg
I also use magnets to make the pads easy to change, first I glue the magnets to the cups then covered with 1.8mm thick furniture leather (to create a better seal. IMG_20221021_153318.jpg
Then used thin plywood on the pad, with more magnets (taken out of my broken he4xx)
IMG_20221021_153323.jpg

And when I put pads on, the leather is sandwiched between and creates a very good seal.
IMG_20221021_153406.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #65 of 105
Anybody got some ZMF oval cowhide pads to test with the M565C? I wonder how that would sound... Probably very badass. A lot of people seem like these with their modded Fostex.
The fostex need a good bass boost and by looking at the zmf pads, they would definitely give that.
But not sure these 565c need the same thing, I am seriously loving these cloth pads mentioned in this thread, it boost the sub bass and calms the peaks, makes these headphones sound more neutral, detailed and rumbly instead of boomy

Nov 21, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #66 of 105
The fostex need a good bass boost and by looking at the zmf pads, they would definitely give that.
But not sure these 565c need the same thing, I am seriously loving these cloth pads mentioned in this thread, it boost the sub bass and calms the peaks, makes these headphones sound more neutral, detailed and rumbly instead of boomy
Yeah you're probably right. I'm just curious I guess. With the sheepskin pads I'm using I find the M565C a bit polite so I'm wondering what the impact would be. I think I'm going to get those pads anyway to try out with another headphone anyway. Will report back.

Dec 11, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #67 of 105
Just tested the mod with the two small foam pads removed on my M565C (which by the way only has 3 foam pads in total, plus one felt pad that seems attached to the driver). I thought it did open the headphone a little bit but I'm not sure I liked the effect overall, I like the stock tonality anyway. It already has plenty of bass and body. Nevertheless it's very interesting to see the effect of simple foam pads and cups on a closed-back headphone. With all the foam pads removed it sounded like a cheap Hifiman planar. Removing the cups made the soundstage hollow and flat, which only makes me like closed-back headphones even more.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #70 of 105
Can these be transformed into open-backs like the M1060C?
I tried to remove the cups on mine and didn't really like the sound, I thought it sounded too thin, especially because of the rear damping being removed as well. The imaging is also so much better with the cups on. I'd be curious to see the effect on the 1060c.

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #71 of 105
I did it, can't say it made a huge difference, I tried them without felt, with felt, without the cups and with the cups mass loaded.
In the beginning I preferred them with half the felt, but then I mass loaded them and removed all the felt, it sounds almost the same as cups off because of the wide gap in the side of the cups, the felt is really the only thing that makes the "closed back" other wise I would call them semi open.
So once the felt is removed the air moves freely similar to completely open.
Try it out, it's completely reversible

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #72 of 105
I did it, can't say it made a huge difference, I tried them without felt, with felt, without the cups and with the cups mass loaded.
In the beginning I preferred them with half the felt, but then I mass loaded them and removed all the felt, it sounds almost the same as cups off because of the wide gap in the side of the cups, the felt is really the only thing that makes the "closed back" other wise I would call them semi open.
So once the felt is removed the air moves freely similar to completely open.
Try it out, it's completely reversible

I do not own these (yet). I owned the M1060C and was blown away by them with the open-back mod and they were still very impressive with the cups on as well. I sold them because they were way too heavy - worst mistake of my life. Now I am extremely curious about the sound of the M565C.

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #73 of 105
I do not own these (yet). I owned the M1060C and was blown away by them with the open-back mod and they were still very impressive with the cups on as well. I sold them because they were way too heavy - worst mistake of my life. Now I am extremely curious about the sound of the M565C.
I auditioned the 1060c before buying these 565c but skipped them (wanted something more portable) was surprised how good they sound and decided to buy them even tho that zeos Moron said they sucked, after a few light mods they sounded awesome, I would say the 1060c sound much better open, but because of the humongous gap in the cups, these 565c are almost open to begin with, so opening them doesn't make the dramatic difference in sound.
Biggest difference came from ear pads, felt (or removal of the felt) and mass loading, I can check again and try to explain the difference with cups on verses off, but it must wait until tomorrow night because they are at the shop.

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #75 of 105
Thanks for your response, it's very helpful. Can you elaborate on what do you mean by the quote above? They are almost open in the sense that they are not over-dampened like the M1060C?
There is a 3mm gap between the wood cup and the frame of the earphone, this gap is filled with the felt, when you remove all the felt it becomes open.
So I didn't notice a difference in sound when I completely removed the wood because it doesn't allow for more air movement then was allready possible when the felt was removed and because I mass loaded the inside of the wood cups, there are not alot of resonant frequencies.
But when I place a finger over the gap, it sounds like a congested, boxy, horrible headphone.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back