Monoprice Monolith M565C closed planar headphones impressions thread
Apr 7, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #16 of 105
I have a pair of these also and LOVE the sound. I don't like the headband however but it's manageable. I put a set of Herbies Grunge Busters inside the cap directly against the wooden cup and it improved every category of sound. They smoke all the other closed back headphones I own and compare favorably to a lot of open backs. These were very undersold/underrated indeed.

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #17 of 105
The pads I tried are these, both in the 95mm size:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000339305053.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dVEXKGM
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057605882.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4daSe5hM

And here are the graphs:

The blue graph is the mods from the first post, purple graph is with the the perforated 95mm sheepskin pads from the Smart Watched store and brown is non-perforated 95mm sheepskin pads from the JingZhi store. Sorry the blue graph is a bit lower in overall level, but you probably can see the spectrum differences anyway.

The new mod and pads further improves the bass response and makes it more Harman-correct so that there's no more excess high bass. There is more treble too from 2Khz up.

Hope that helps :)

With these oval pads there is more than one way to mount them as they are slightly larger than the headphone frame. As with the M1060Cs, I've found that attaching the pads with a rear offset (as in the picture below) sounds better than having them centered.

P_20210414_191000.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #18 of 105
Hi, yes actually I did mod them further and tried some different pads as well.

The further mods begin with removing half of the stock damping as described in the first post.
Then a self-adhesive 3mm thick sheet of solid rubber (NOT rubber foam) is attached to the insides of the cups, like this:

P_20210402_200406.jpg

This improves the bass response with a similar effect as putting a speaker closer to a wall, except here the driver is now closer to the cup.

The pads I tried are these, in the 95mm and 90mm sizes:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000339305053.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dVEXKGM

And this in the 95mm size:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057605882.html?af=240682&

And here are the graphs:

M565C_graphs.jpg

Hope that helps :)

Oops. Looks like there was an error in the file name of one of my saved graph files so one of the graphs go assigned to the wrong pad. Edited that post to correct this.

I've been A-B'ing the different pads over the weekend and the one that I like the best is the 90mm perforated sheepskin from the Smart watched store. Its sound is punchy and crunchy. The slightly larger pads have a bit bigger soundstage though.

Sep 3, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #20 of 105
Further updates on my M565c, now with Misodiko Protein Leather pads. Fully circumaural! And it sounds as tidy and refined as it looks :)

Could you please post a link (so that I can buy them) and installing guide to the pads you used? I am a total newbie and don't know how to mod. I am not satisfied with the stock pads as they don't isolate sound and people next to me hear the music. Also appreciate it if you could post a link to the cable you are using. Would also like to know your experience after all that time with pads and the cable you are using before I buy them as well. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #21 of 105
Still not a lot of interest in these cans...they are pretty amazing with mods I have right now...and that is after testing a stack
of cans in the last one year.

Just transplanted the drivers/shells/wood cups into my M570 headband and yokes..still not locked in the parts that go
into the headphone from falling out..going to try and use tiny ziplocks inside where the baffle attaches to yokes.

I tried 6 different pairs of pads last night to confirm the ones I have on them are the 'best'....reallly really surprised how good
these are and the lack of a following like T50s got.
Will have to read through this thread to see if I posted my mods here before...M570 headband way better..
Surpise on the cups was the lack of tone matching, but that is why they stain them..has grown on me..as unique
as it gets !

Other cans owned right now - Sundara 2020, Alpha Dogs, Aeon2C, LCD2.1, LCD-XC 2016, LCD-X 2021, LCD-4

They have better balance of FR than both 2016XC and 2021XC !.. one is under-reach in upper mids, the other over-reach in upper mids...
Still not attached pads either...hasty photo there on floor to get them back on my head asap :wink:
IMG_20210929_161739.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #22 of 105
Still not a lot of interest in these cans...they are pretty amazing with mods I have right now...and that is after testing a stack
of cans in the last one year.

Just transplanted the drivers/shells/wood cups into my M570 headband and yokes..still not locked in the parts that go
into the headphone from falling out..going to try and use tiny ziplocks inside where the baffle attaches to yokes.

I tried 6 different pairs of pads last night to confirm the ones I have on them are the 'best'....reallly really surprised how good
these are and the lack of a following like T50s got.
Will have to read through this thread to see if I posted my mods here before...M570 headband way better..
Surpise on the cups was the lack of tone matching, but that is why they stain them..has grown on me..as unique
as it gets !

Other cans owned Sundara 2020, LCD2.1, LCD-XC 2016, LCD-X 2021, LCD-4

They have better balance of FR than both 2016XC and 2021XC !.. one is under-reach in upper mids, the other over-reach in upper mids...
Still not attached pads either...hasty photo there on floor to get them back on my head asap :wink:
IMG_20210929_161739.jpg
They look so cool! Have you ever had a chance to hear the Audeze Sine? I wonder how they compare.

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #23 of 105
Did not like Sine, like they had a glass celiing and floor on more bass/extended treble from memory (2018).
Bad fit also..lackluster dynamics.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #24 of 105
IMG_20210929_220211.jpg

These things are really easy to mod, sound amazing. I also can't beleive they are so under appreciated
IMG_20210929_220145.jpg

Swapped the headband for one that was better fitting (from xiaomi Mi headphones, with rebuilt oit tanned leather/black suede and memory foam)
And after alot of pad rolling I also settled on the cloth memory foam from aliexpress
added cotton in the space between driver and housing.
removed thin foam circul and other thin foam.
cut down felt and glued second felt onto the wood cups. Then of course I dyed 1 cup to match the other (kind of)

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #25 of 105
Yes, same pads here I think fenestrated with that excellent ear contact material - spot-on FR adjustment for the cans - I posted those pads in another thread and my mod and cannot remember where now...I did take one thick felt oval out from behind the cups and there was another oval of felt which I left in.
Just got to get my pair put together better before the yoke parts fall out and I lose them.
What do you use to bond the earpads to the baffle ?

Better sub-bass extension and quantity on them than Aeon2Cs I have...A2Cs bit polite...but better imaging...though I'd hope so for the price...there seems to be a narrow band frequency issue with male vocals at times - like they are rounded/unfocused and a stronger brogue than is real - is only way I could describe it...though, I do have one of the discs from inside the back of cups behind earpads...I went other route from post further back to damp them/darken them up earside a little bit...that may be muddying up that bit of male vocals.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #26 of 105
Yes, same pads here I think fenestrated with that excellent ear contact material - spot-on FR adjustment for the cans - I posted those pads in another thread and my mod and cannot remember where now...I did take one thick felt oval out from behind the cups and there was another oval of felt which I left in.
Just got to get my pair put together better before the yoke parts fall out and I lose them.
What do you use to bond the earpads to the baffle ?

Better sub-bass extension and quantity on them than Aeon2Cs I have...A2Cs bit polite...but better imaging...though I'd hope so for the price...there seems to be a narrow band frequency issue with male vocals at times - like they are rounded/unfocused and a stronger brogue than is real - is only way I could describe it...though, I do have one of the discs from inside the back of cups behind earpads...I went other route from post further back to damp them/darken them up earside a little bit...that may be muddying up that bit of male vocals.
I used double sided leather tape, it's kind of like an adhesive gel suspended in cotton fabric similar to cheese cloth, but I think 3m double sided clear gel tape should also work well

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #27 of 105
Sundara 2020 silent revision also a great compliment to modified M565Cs these..had pad rolled them to take care of a peak in treble...will dig out that specific earpad and earpad clips kit link if anyone interested. I owned the 2019 Sunadara and they are definetely different as a lot of buyers have commented regardless of HFM saying only a slight alteration in the pad glue is all they did...call BS on that - as they older ones were slightly going into grainy territory, not as extended each end, bigger treble spike...

Best budget open/closed planars under 500 right now I'd say hands-down - Sundara 2020/Monoprice M565Cs- and both have decent warranty cover in most regions.
Probably both power well off the E1DA dac/amp range...killer value for money for that mix of cans dac/amps.

Off-topic in a way - but not really, as this thread is a 'budget best buy modded planar hunters' thread'.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #28 of 105
Sundara 2020 silent revision also a great compliment to modified M565Cs these..had pad rolled them to take care of a peak in treble...will dig out that specific earpad and earpad clips kit link if anyone interested. I owned the 2019 Sunadara and they are definetely different as a lot of buyers have commented regardless of HFM saying only a slight alteration in the pad glue is all they did...call BS on that - as they older ones were slightly going into grainy territory, not as extended each end, bigger treble spike...

Best budget open/closed planars under 500 right now I'd say hands-down - Sundara 2020/Monprice M565Cs- and both have decent warranty cover is most countries.
Probably both power well off the E1DA dac/amp range...killer value for money for that mix of cans dac/amps.

Off-topic in a way, but not really as this thread is a budget best buy modded planar hunters thread.
I had thought about getting the sundara but, where I am living hype matters alot, couldn't do it, m565c cost me 130 used when the sundara are 300 used, and new I found m565c locally for 220 but sundaras cost about 400
I could buy a m565c and m570 for what I would spend in sundaras

But now that I said all that, how do the sundara compare to the m565c?
Sad, I actually liked the treble in the 2019 sundaras, it's why I almost bought them

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #29 of 105
I had thought about getting the sundara but, where I am living hype matters alot, couldn't do it, m565c cost me 130 used when the sundara are 300 used, and new I found m565c locally for 220 but sundaras cost about 400
I could buy a m565c and m570 for what I would spend in sundaras

But now that I said all that, how do the sundara compare to the m565c?
Sad, I actually liked the treble in the 2019 sundaras, it's why I almost bought them
Sundara = more subjective linearity in FR than M565C, and less sub-bass quantity.....M570 are kind of U to V-shaped..dark and mids are recessed....all IMO of course..my gear/ear impressions.
Treble not greatly different with stock pads on Sundara..that dry graininess I heard is gone, and better aspects now into the subs...so your treble is still preserved more or less..my velour after-market earpads just took the peaks off the treble for my taste.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #30 of 105
I think M565C going out of production soon...no supply in UK suddenly anyway.

Maybe they read the thread and its time for reboot with M575C..LoL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back