Monoprice Monolith M565C closed planar headphones impressions thread
Aug 21, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #91 of 105
Given the price of Dynamat, I damped the cups with some vintage adhesive floor vinyl.
Positive about it so far with more neutral amps.

I would love to get my hands on Kennerton Rognir to test out....I find the external design quite ugly on Rognir...the cups look like mason/jam jar lids..really clunky and simple cups...and the headband is pretty crap...but supposed to be "best" closed-back planar on the market.
Heard two examples on different rigs at the weekend..
Made every snare sound isolated, and almost like a gated one. Weird.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #92 of 105
Here's another weird one - the Cayin RU-7 has more accurate tonality and imaging than Denafrips Ares II on either of its NOS/OS settiings.

I totally recommend the RU7 to anyone who has the modded M565C....the thing is sweet as roses.

Aug 21, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #94 of 105
I wouldn`t discount it.
But having played with the free firmware variations on the Ares2 there is some real magic, depending on what you hook it up to..
OK, you can dial it a bit now....good...I found Ares II NOS warm and smeared, and OS bright an "un-RDR sounding"..but only detecting that after Holo KTE mk2 brain burn-in on rotation back in...was a bit ear-blind to that beforehand.

Oct 7, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #95 of 105
Anyone know the screw sizes for the cups..?

Half my ones got lost over last week..had them sitting in a screwset container and everthing got mixed/lost/mushed moving stuff...darn.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #96 of 105
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-audiophile-headphones/

Screenshot_20231102_214412_Chrome.jpg

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #97 of 105
The 565 is great for a portable headphones, especially in terms of tonal accuracy (very close to the HD600), but I think it lacks the punch and dynamics of a proper fullsize planar. Same issue as the Audeze Sine. I mean my 7hz timeless have more punch than both.
I wonder how the 1060 compares in that regard (it has bigger double-sided magnets which probably makes a big difference).
After some weeks of owning these I have to agree that these do not “punch” very hard; bass is there and quite extended but not as present as with other headphones.

However, this was not the reason I got these. If I want the punchy bass, I resort back to my dynamic driver hp’s. The M565C’s have other strengths, as you mentioned very good tonal balance (with a bit too recessed treble – easily fixed with a high frequency EQ shelf). Also, their interesting mids presentation (the mids sound closer to the listener on a virtual soundstage making voices etc. stand out – even though it loses some spatial realism I find myself liking this kind of presentation with many songs I listened to.).
I wanted to compare them to the M1060C but I couldn’t find them for a good price, so I’ve decided to keep the M565C as I’m really enjoying them.
Yet if the M1060C have the same strengths but add that bit of bass presence that would be close to a perfect headphone for me (in this price range anyway)..

Get the aliX pads I mentioned in the thread...

Pads link for my ones...
Fantastic comfort and best FR balance I found for my ears - rolling 6 sets of pads...love that ear contact material...feels like wool suit material.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000163205810.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.3a994c4d8hN25K

Still hunting for my simple mods list, may just retype them.

M565Cs have unseated my 2016 LCD-XCs now...better balance....

It seems like the page is not available anymore, do you have a new link for the pads or have they completely vanished off the face of the earth?
Any alternative pads you could recommend?

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #98 of 105
After some weeks of owning these I have to agree that these do not “punch” very hard; bass is there and quite extended but not as present as with other headphones.

However, this was not the reason I got these. If I want the punchy bass, I resort back to my dynamic driver hp’s. The M565C’s have other strengths, as you mentioned very good tonal balance (with a bit too recessed treble – easily fixed with a high frequency EQ shelf). Also, their interesting mids presentation (the mids sound closer to the listener on a virtual soundstage making voices etc. stand out – even though it loses some spatial realism I find myself liking this kind of presentation with many songs I listened to.).
I wanted to compare them to the M1060C but I couldn’t find them for a good price, so I’ve decided to keep the M565C as I’m really enjoying them.
Yet if the M1060C have the same strengths but add that bit of bass presence that would be close to a perfect headphone for me (in this price range anyway)..

It seems like the page is not available anymore, do you have a new link for the pads or have they completely vanished off the face of the earth?
Any alternative pads you could recommend?
Double-sided 3M tape locks them to the baffle to extend and solidify the bass.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000163205810.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.781f38daoEhhF3&mp=1

Testing DCA E3 and Kennerton Rognir just now for top closed planars.....but I may just revert to my fun M565Cs finally.

M1060c have hazy/poorer imaging and quite elevated bass but not audiophile tight like Audeze better cans can be and recessed mids to my ears - and heavy cans with a bad headstrap.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #99 of 105
Double-sided 3M tape locks them to the baffle to extend and solidfy the bass.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000163205810.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.781f38daoEhhF3&mp=1

Testing DCA E3 and Kennerton Rognir just now for top closed planars.....but I may just revert to my fun M565Cs finally.

M1060c have poorer imaging/quite elevated bass and recessed mids to my ears - and heavy cans with a bad headstrap.
Ah I see those pads are not available for delivery to germany.
when I switch to "ship to" UK these become available. Screw germanland :frowning2:

EDIT: Nevermind I found identical pads from another vendor which ships to ger.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #100 of 105
Let the BATTLE for best closed-back planar on the planet commence tomorrow.
3) Kennerton Rognir.jpeg4) Dan Clark Audio E3.jpg4) Monoprice M565C:M570.jpg

M570 headband
transplanted on to my M565C for those wondering...

Edit : Add in my Torac Audio baffle modded T50rp proto closed-back can I made 8 years ago
1) Origin.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #103 of 105
Refreshing to see a cheaper item battle it out with more expensive gear.
Price = price.
Amount of cans I've tested in my about section does that.

Shocking 3k earbuds sounding worse than LZa2 £69 ones....same goes for cans...price perception to a large degree now.

Audeze LCD-2 + HFM He-6 were a shocker moment for can pricing....
I remember doing a triple-take on LCD-2 price 2013....nearly fell out my hammock :wink:

Despite M565C short-comings sub-bass size / imaging / treble extension...I just keep going back to the price/comfort/lush musicality.
M565c = the baby closed version of my LCD-34 hybrid cans....both throw lush musicality from the mids region at you with enthusiasm...

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #104 of 105
Just going to add in "cut right to it" snippet impressions of the obvious jump-out negatives of each can vs M565C which we are familiar with -
Source : Audirvana + Hugo2 + FLAC bitperfect.

DCA E3 -
has this upper mids hardness and almost touch of glassy brightess into treble region with Hugo2 anyway at higher volumes which is a performance ceiling for my needs..can't go over a certain volume...(may be synergy or break-in period) it's like it has its roots in a way with T50Mk3 with better technicalities and layering..just reminds me of that peak in t50 that had to be dealt with with damping materials. Does not approach the stratospheric ability of Abyss Diana cans with shimmering treble that is 4sure...Diana treble has to be heard to be wowed !!
Sunshine and roses phase on E3 thread (4sure) - though it is a technicalities beast with a large degree of balance.... For this type of brighter/thinner upper region scalpal-can presentation - I'd just revert back to my uber-cheap woodie T50s and hopefully keep Rognir...E3 can't touch M565Cs for fluid enthusiastic lush musicality of course, due to its polarised tone zone....

Note : Hugo2 may have been colouring the issues my ears heard above...E3 may change drastically with R2R DACs.
IMG_20240118_101259.jpg

Kennerton Rognir - OOB few minutes impressions warmish and tad bright on the Rogs.....probably W-shaped on graphs..not sure right now..So only 'negative' not linear and monitor-like...It is more refined than M565c and more on the musical side than DCA cans...like a very very stepped up M565c with image bloom under control, microdetail more precise/much better....though a waveguide will release both ends of the spectrum - subs/treble - on M565C AND also control image bloom....there was a guy from Ireland who used to make DIY 3D waveguides for various cans... @ "xyzzy" or some such random ID name...initial impression is Rog over DCA hands-down for my preference (musicality over technicality) - as T50Mk3 is in similar vein as E3 which I own already.

Can even get a very decent baseline sound out of it from the Cayin RU-7 1-bit dongle dac/amp ! Surprising result on that !

ConversIy, I think if you could hook in the M565Cs into an amazing desktop DAC/amp combo from the likes of Holo Audio coming from a dongle DAC, then this Rog sound signature is the direction M565Cs would instantly jump towards...
IMG_20240119_134330.jpg

Fostex T50-Mk3 - upper region 8-10k spike that has to be tamed. A cooler tone than M565C with razor monitoring imaging that is not on the musicality side of tones. Lack of nuance in mid and sub-bass once elevated with venting/pads - though M565C much the same, with less subs quantity again than T50.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #105 of 105
Anyway,with above short impressions...it all comes down to cost - and cost of replacement with M565Cs. I have 2 sets now, and may pick up a 3rd one and store it. One set seems to have better imaging - a newer run of them by 2 years.
Longer time with Rognir shows its the closest of the above 3 cans - not as warm and all the rest but similar soundsphere...a character tuning with musicality resting above technicalities vs a scalpal mastering tone.

Monoprice should scale up the size of the driver, put an M570 headband on a bigger version can - and a waveguide to extend the subs and treble more up in line with its mid-centric/forward tuning and improve the obvious imaging haze/bloom in a snap...they have walked by some gold by not building on the tech of this fun musical can.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back