Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Aug 19, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #8,011 of 8,051
It really does make sense to me, because I thought there were some reflection issues with both my M1060 and M1060C. Which is why I did the "Fuzzor" mod to the driver on the grill and ear pad side as well as add a few extra pieces of the felt around the inside of the wood ring on the M1060 and the metal ring on the M1060C. That tamed any reflection issues I had. Below is a pic of my M1060 with the felt applied on the grill side, and HERE is the felt I used.

2020-08-19.jpg

Thanks for the link to the felt. That looks pretty easy to do. Just got to get the old Exacto knife out.

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #8,012 of 8,051
Just going to add my 2 cents, as well. In my experience the stock metal grille can also cause glare/reflections. I found that a 3D printed honeycomb one did wonders for the sound. But an easy way to test to see if that's contributing to what's bothering you is to just take the grilles off and see how it sounds since a 3D printed one is pretty much transparent sound-wise.

I'll definitely try it with and without the grilles when I do the Fuzzor mod.

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #8,013 of 8,051
Just going to add my 2 cents, as well. In my experience the stock metal grille can also cause glare/reflections. I found that a 3D printed honeycomb one did wonders for the sound. But an easy way to test to see if that's contributing to what's bothering you is to just take the grilles off and see how it sounds since a 3D printed one is pretty much transparent sound-wise.
This makes sense, I use 3d printed honeycomb grills with my m1060 and it fixed the issues with the sound I was having

Sep 12, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #8,014 of 8,051
Does anybody know any details on the acoustic impedance of the M1060? I'm hoping to run some FEM simulations in COMSOL for a fazor design. I need that data to able to match the loudspeaker's acoustic impedance to the acoustic impedance of air, but I'm not sure if there is public documentation on this.

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #8,015 of 8,051
Ok, so I sent an e-mail to Monoprice asking for technical specifications. In all honesty, I don't expect much of an answer from them but it is worth a shot, I'll let y'all know if any useful info comes from this. Furthermore, I'm planning to completely 3D model the M1060 in Blender for simulation in COMSOL. I might just model the baffle but from my experience, the outer wood rings have a significant effect on the intensity of the sound, so I'm a bit undecided.

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #8,017 of 8,051
Hi M1060 owners. Im just asking who has both m570 and m1060 is it worth to upgrade to m570? I like the sound of my m1060 but if i would find a size smaller like this....

They have very different sound signatures. As such I don't think they sound alike enough to consider the M570 an "upgrade" to the M1060. And part of the reason the M1060 sounds the way it does is because of the size of the driver, so I doubt you can get a similar sound out of something smaller.

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #8,018 of 8,051
Had a little photoshoot yesterday lol

HLDN9044.jpg

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #8,020 of 8,051
After my mother crushed my iems... I started modding my forgotten m1060... Now I´m regretting to not to mod them before xD

Time before I managed to get the last two vegan pads (2 pairs) available here in spain at a bargain price, and with along my r2r-11 I believed that I reached my end game rig... my bad... hahahaha. This 11-11 event at aliexpress I bought the best mod you can buy for a M1060, a 3D printer :laughing::laughing::laughing: So I started printing some mods.

First of all I´d like to thanks to atilllla, DrSchnickistein and PockyG for such designs! Thank you very much!

Atm I only printed the front grille, since I´m tweaking the printer to make the prints look decent. Thanks atilllla I used your V5 design and love it! imho is a must on this headphone. Only with this mod, makes the headphone much more enjoyable to listen. Now I´m between the baffled fazzor, fazzors and fuzzor outside or fazzors alone. I´m a kind of basshead who loves details... without being too analytical, I passed that phase, so now I like more to listen and enjoy the music than analyzing it, that´s why I selling my portable rig, a Theorem 720, if someone is interested I´m open to offers.

Wich mod would you recommend the next?

My cans atm:

IMG_20201214_012556.jpg

Dec 13, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #8,021 of 8,051
After my mother crushed my iems... I started modding my forgotten m1060... Now I´m regretting to not to mod them before xD

Time before I managed to get the last two vegan pads (2 pairs) available here in spain at a bargain price, and with along my r2r-11 I believed that I reached my end game rig... my bad... hahahaha. This 11-11 event at aliexpress I bought the best mod you can buy for a M1060, a 3D printer :laughing::laughing::laughing: So I started printing some mods.

First of all I´d like to thanks to atilllla, DrSchnickistein and PockyG for such designs! Thank you very much!

Atm I only printed the front grille, since I´m tweaking the printer to make the prints look decent. Thanks atilllla I used your V5 design and love it! imho is a must on this headphone. Only with this mod, makes the headphone much more enjoyable to listen. Now I´m between the baffled fazzor, fazzors and fuzzor outside or fazzors alone. I´m a kind of basshead who loves details... without being too analytical, I passed that phase, so now I like more to listen and enjoy the music than analyzing it, that´s why I selling my portable rig, a Theorem 720, if someone is interested I´m open to offers.

Wich mod would you recommend the next?

My cans atm:

I have a full fuzzor mod on both sides of the driver and especially on the back side. The entire back is lined with felt even the walls of the enclosure. It definitely creates a warmer experience while preserving details and improving transience.

I don’t recommend doing a fazzor mod unless you’re printing from a machine that has very low tolerances but even then, fazzors don’t do what people think they do. They don’t create more detail and they’re not "wave guides".

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #8,022 of 8,051
Thank you Heldaeus for your input!

I'll try both mods and a mix of them. But I'll have to wait, because my r2r-11 has decided to not to help me with this mods hahahaha. Suddenly it's making some extrange noises, even with the usb detached. Sounds like a brrrrrrrrrrrr... So I have to wait and to ship it back to audiophonics to get repaired or replaced.

Has anybody had this issue before with the r2r-11?

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #8,024 of 8,051
Well... I reached out to Monoprice for info on the magnets and they don't even know what they used. If there is potential to upgrade the magnet array then I might just do that!

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #8,025 of 8,051
Anyone have a compendum of mods to do on the m1060? Currently looking at doing the hexagon grill side v5 by Atilllla and DrSchnickistein's front side trochoid fazor. Also pad swapped to the Dekoni Choice Velour pads as well. Anyone else on the forum have a clue on how to fix the wood cracking on the m1060? Not afraid to take it apart, but the extra effort to do so kinda sucks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back