Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 23, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #7,981 of 8,051
I do, and it is more than worth 92 Euro. I've loved my M1060 and M1060C so much that I've had multiple Audeze, HiFiMan, MrSpeakers, Focal, etc and I've sold them all on in favor of my Monoliths. To be fair though, my M1060 and M1060C are very modified.

What have you done with them? AFAIK mine is only modded with Audeze pads.I have to check when i get mine. Seems you have good knowledge about these cans, so is it okey if i can ask you some questions?

I am a little worried after reading about the headset now. I just bought it immediately when reading the ad. Some people complain about that 5khz peak and someone dont. Some even says it doesnt show up in some measurents and some say that you can get lucky with a good pair that almost have no issue with thst peak. The guy who sold this set said that this particular headphone is a very good one that is almost free of the resonance peak issue. It was also compared to another set and he said that it the other headphone sounded awfully in comparison. So do you think that i may be lucky with this set if everything is as described?

I see many compare the m1060 to other headphone's,especially comparing to Audeze. but Audeze LCD2c is atleast 3 times more expensive over here!? So if they are compared to headphones cost around 3 times more( it does here), it should be quite good?

I watch'd Zreviews last night and he had a video of it where he strongly recommended it even if it has it flaws. He said the soundquality you get for the money is extremely good. But build quality was not good.

Well,it cost me only 92 euro's. Under 1/5 of the new price here + pads, so i must have done a good deal! I just felt that after reading about it, it didnt seemed even worth 100 euros. But i maybe was unlucky and found the most negative posts?

Anyway. Is the mods you have done very straight forward?Thanks

Jun 23, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #7,982 of 8,051
Since you've already purchased the headphones, worrying about the issue before you receive them and find out if there even is an issue will only serve to drive you crazy. There are some pairs out there that have had a 5k peak issue, but I've had 2 pairs of M1060 and neither had it. I'd say you're more likely to get a set without the issue than with. As for build quality, the V1 with MMCX plugs had a lot of people who experienced cracking on the wood ring but in V2 with the 2.5mm jacks that no longer seems to be the case. The headband is a bit wonky on both versions. Do you have an amp capable of pushing these headphones? That would be a bigger concern than the 5k/build quality for you I'd say. This isn't a headphone you want to try and run from a phone, tablet, or PC headphone jack. Sure you'll hear sound, but to sound good you'll need more power than those items can provide.

The mods on my set currently are as follows: replaced stock headband with HiFiMan headband, painted it black and cut a Monolith logo out of vinyl, custom made Alcantara ear pads by Vesper Audio, a Periapt cable, removed foam behind grills, 3D printed honeycomb grills (had a nice wood set but one cracked, back to the printed set), a sheet of speaker cloth on both sides of the driver, removed material that was stuck to the driver on both sides, and made a custom "fazor" on both sides using adhesive felt. Basically the only things left stock on mine are the wood ring and the driver, lol. But, don't worry, you don't have to go crazy like I did to have an enjoyable headphone.

2020-06-23.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #7,983 of 8,051
Since you've already purchased the headphones, worrying about the issue before you receive them and find out if there even is an issue will only serve to drive you crazy. There are some pairs out there that have had a 5k peak issue, but I've had 2 pairs of M1060 and neither had it. I'd say you're more likely to get a set without the issue than with. As for build quality, the V1 with MMCX plugs had a lot of people who experienced cracking on the wood ring but in V2 with the 2.5mm jacks that no longer seems to be the case. The headband is a bit wonky on both versions. Do you have an amp capable of pushing these headphones? That would be a bigger concern than the 5k/build quality for you I'd say. This isn't a headphone you want to try and run from a phone, tablet, or PC headphone jack. Sure you'll hear sound, but to sound good you'll need more power than those items can provide.

The mods on my set currently are as follows: replaced stock headband with HiFiMan headband, painted it black and cut a Monolith logo out of vinyl, custom made Alcantara ear pads by Vesper Audio, a Periapt cable, removed foam behind grills, 3D printed honeycomb grills (had a nice wood set but one cracked, back to the printed set), a sheet of speaker cloth on both sides of the driver, removed material that was stuck to the driver on both sides, and made a custom "fazor" on both sides using adhesive felt. Basically the only things left stock on mine are the wood ring and the driver, lol. But, don't worry, you don't have to go crazy like I did to have an enjoyable headphone.

It looks nice though! Yeay,idk what version it is either. The only good headset i have is a Oppo PM-3, and that one is very easy to drive.

Ive read some morw about it now and i think that i will be pretty happy with it. I need to figure out the amping. Ive got only a phone by now since i use it as a dap,but i am looking for a amp. What amp can u recommend that isnt big? How much power does it need?

Jun 23, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #7,984 of 8,051
It looks nice though! Yeay,idk what version it is either. The only good headset i have is a Oppo PM-3, and that one is very easy to drive.

Ive read some morw about it now and i think that i will be pretty happy with it. I need to figure out the amping. Ive got only a phone by now since i use it as a dap,but i am looking for a amp. What amp can u recommend that isnt big? How much power does it need?

It would depend upon your budget. A Schiit Magni 3 has plenty of power for it's relatively low price. For a bit more money the Schiit Jotunheim, DropTHX 789, and Monolith THX 887 amps all have a balanced out (if you decide to get a balanced cable) and have more than enough power for the M1060's and whatever else you may get in the future.

I'm currently using a Topping D50 DAC / Emotiva BasX A-100 amp combo with my M1060, and an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC / Monolith THX 887 amp combo with my M1060C and TH-X00. Both amps have a good synergy with the Monolith headphones. The reason I didn't recommend the Emotiva A-100 amp for you is that it is not a great all around amp. It shouldn't be used for anything other than over ear headphones. With the optional jumpers in place the amp has 50W per channel @ 16ohm, which will pop IEMs like popcorn, lol. Not to mention it's huge, and you said you wanted something that wasn't that big.

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #7,985 of 8,051
It would depend upon your budget. A Schiit Magni 3 has plenty of power for it's relatively low price. For a bit more money the Schiit Jotunheim, DropTHX 789, and Monolith THX 887 amps all have a balanced out (if you decide to get a balanced cable) and have more than enough power for the M1060's and whatever else you may get in the future.

I'm currently using a Topping D50 DAC / Emotiva BasX A-100 amp combo with my M1060, and an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC / Monolith THX 887 amp combo with my M1060C and TH-X00. Both amps have a good synergy with the Monolith headphones. The reason I didn't recommend the Emotiva A-100 amp for you is that it is not a great all around amp. It shouldn't be used for anything other than over ear headphones. With the optional jumpers in place the amp has 50W per channel @ 16ohm, which will pop IEMs like popcorn, lol. Not to mention it's huge, and you said you wanted something that wasn't that big.

I forgot to mention that my phone is a Lg v40. It has 2v RMS output and due to digizoid it should be able to drive the m1060 to "very loud" at 115db spl at 1.99v rms. That should prob be enough? I usually never listen higher than 75 db ish.

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #7,986 of 8,051

aish.

And if i still need an amp, i want something that i can pair with LG V40 since i love the sound feom it! Is that possible? To attsch an usb amp BUT still use the internal quad dac? The quad dac measured really good on ASR, so i think it will be better to buy just a seperate amp and use thr quad dac.

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #7,987 of 8,051
I forgot to mention that my phone is a Lg v40. It has 2v RMS output and due to digizoid it should be able to drive the m1060 to "very loud" at 115db spl at 1.99v rms. That should prob be enough? I usually never listen higher than 75 db ish.

I used to own the LG V30 with the quad DAC and it could not push the M1060 well at all in my opinion, but YMMV of course.

And if i still need an amp, i want something that i can pair with LG V40 since i love the sound feom it! Is that possible? To attsch an usb amp BUT still use the internal quad dac? The quad dac measured really good on ASR, so i think it will be better to buy just a seperate amp and use thr quad dac.

It's simple to use the LG V40 with an amp. All you need is one of THESE cables. You plug it into the headphone jack of your phone and plug the RCA ends into the input of your amp.

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #7,988 of 8,051
aish.

Since you have good pads on yours the only mod I would say is mandatory is getting new grilles. The stock metal grilles definitely hold the M1060 back. Getting someone to 3D print some will probably be the cheapest. The more open the design, the better. Also, some people swear the stock foam in the back ruins the sound but when I A/B tested it (I removed the gilles and would remove/replace the foam while listening) I was literally unable to tell a difference. I think it might make more of a difference if you use the stock grille (which you shouldn't) but you can do the test and judge for yourself.

As for amping, I have a LG V20 and the M1060 does sound good from it in high impedance mode (I just did a listening test with it compared to my A-100) so I imagine your LG V40 should do an alright job as far as single ended DAPs go, just don't expect 100% of the M1060s performance from it. A full-sized amp will do a better job with superior width and clarity (less congested sounding) being the most noticeable traits, but I don't think the difference is absolutely massive or that the LG will be unlistenable, just keep it in mind. The THX-789 from Drop.com is one of the best values in amps at $300 and Schiit Magni 3/Heresy are great budget options at $100 but since you live in Norway, I don't know what's affordable to you or not. My general suggestion would be to get the headphones first and see how you like them. You can worry about amping later.

Also, you can run your LG as a source to another amp with a simple 3.5mm to RCA cable (like the one OldDude04 linked). If you ran something USB off of your phone it would be bypassing the DAC since it would sending a digital signal which would have to be converted to analog by the external device. There are portable amps but I haven't every tried any of those so I don't know how they would drive the M1060 compared to a desktop one.

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #7,989 of 8,051
Since you have good pads on yours the only mod I would say is mandatory is getting new grilles. The stock metal grilles definitely hold the M1060 back. Getting someone to 3D print some will probably be the cheapest. The more open the design, the better. Also, some people swear the stock foam in the back ruins the sound but when I A/B tested it (I removed the gilles and would remove/replace the foam while listening) I was literally unable to tell a difference. I think it might make more of a difference if you use the stock grille (which you shouldn't) but you can do the test and judge for yourself.

As for amping, I have a LG V20 and the M1060 does sound good from it in high impedance mode (I just did a listening test with it compared to my A-100) so I imagine your LG V40 should do an alright job as far as single ended DAPs go, just don't expect 100% of the M1060s performance from it. A full-sized amp will do a better job with superior width and clarity (less congested sounding) being the most noticeable traits, but I don't think the difference is absolutely massive or that the LG will be unlistenable, just keep it in mind. The THX-789 from Drop.com is one of the best values in amps at $300 and Schiit Magni 3/Heresy are great budget options at $100 but since you live in Norway, I don't know what's affordable to you or not. My general suggestion would be to get the headphones first and see how you like them. You can worry about amping later.

Also, you can run your LG as a source to another amp with a simple 3.5mm to RCA cable (like the one OldDude04 linked). If you ran something USB off of your phone it would be bypassing the DAC since it would sending a digital signal which would have to be converted to analog by the external device. There are portable amps but I haven't every tried any of those so I don't know how they would drive the M1060 compared to a desktop one.
I cant wait to try this headphone! Done good deals lately. Oppo pm3 for 160 eu and m1060 w vegan pads for 92 eu. But ive spent alot of time looking after good deals though. So next on my list is an iem. Maybe ie800.

I hope the V40 is able to drive to the volume level i usually listen to. If it does that, do i then need more amping ? I am not familiar with audio amping,just guitaramps(tube).

Schiit magni 3/Heresy is 185euro here new. Buying new audioequipemt here is stupidly expensive compared us and other places in EU. So i rather buy used if i can. Then this hobby gets more affordable also.

Is there any other amps that are small andd powerful? I have no clue why i want stuff to be as small as possible, but i think it has something to do with having a small apartment with small kids. Need to have my setup portable to hide it away. Maybe when i get a bigger apartment/house i can get desktop size and get a man cave. Now i have only a "portable man cave"! Haha..

Is it cheaper to buy a pure amp instead of dac/amp? Do u know if i can use lg v40 as a dac to my laptop? Thanks!

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #7,990 of 8,051
I cant wait to try this headphone! Done good deals lately. Oppo pm3 for 160 eu and m1060 w vegan pads for 92 eu. But ive spent alot of time looking after good deals though. So next on my list is an iem. Maybe ie800.

I hope the V40 is able to drive to the volume level i usually listen to. If it does that, do i then need more amping ? I am not familiar with audio amping,just guitaramps(tube).

Schiit magni 3/Heresy is 185euro here new. Buying new audioequipemt here is stupidly expensive compared us and other places in EU. So i rather buy used if i can. Then this hobby gets more affordable also.

Is there any other amps that are small andd powerful? I have no clue why i want stuff to be as small as possible, but i think it has something to do with having a small apartment with small kids. Need to have my setup portable to hide it away. Maybe when i get a bigger apartment/house i can get desktop size and get a man cave. Now i have only a "portable man cave"! Haha..

Is it cheaper to buy a pure amp instead of dac/amp? Do u know if i can use lg v40 as a dac to my laptop? Thanks!

Volume level shouldn't be a problem but there is more to amping than just volume. A lot of factors play into how well an amp can drive a headphone like sound signature, circuit design, voltage, THD, headroom, etc. I don't pretend to fully understand how all of these factors work but they do make a difference, especially for planars. For instance I have a Magni 1 (older, much worse design than the 3 or Heresy) and when I do an A/B comparison to my THX-789 I get more bass out of the THX even when I'm not pushing either amp hard and the volumes aren't that high.

The SMSL SP200 also uses a THX amp chip and has a similar design to the to the 789 but has the added benefit of being much smaller with an integrated power supply (no power brick). It costs between $260-280 in the USA. It has a footprint of 160 x 149 x 73 mm which is about as small as you are going to get for that much ultra clean power on tap. If you could find one of those locally and/or used that would work really well. However, the Magni 3/Heresy is even smaller than that and probably about as small as a desktop amp with decent specs gets but it does have a power brick you have to deal with.

Probably the key for your situation is to just watch your local and used markets for headphone amps that would fit what you need. There are also auction sites like eBay and direct from China sites like AliExpress (SMSL is a Chinese company so you can buy the SP200 on there) but I know import costs in Europe can be killer, so I don't know how viable those are for you.

A pure amp is probably going to be cheaper than a DAC/Amp of similar quality because it has less parts and is simpler. A cheap DAC/Amp is going to be inferior on both the DAC and amp part. The FiiO e10k for instance is very small but isn't that clean or powerful so your LG V40 would probably sound better than it would.

I don't think you can use the V40 as a USB dac for a laptop. However, I haven't ever researched it, so I can't say for sure. But if I had to guess I'm thinking it would probably take a software modification on the phone and/or computer to work.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #7,993 of 8,051
I promised to load up oics of my M1060 that i bought for 92euro. It sounds much better than i thought! I will probably never experience this soundquality to value ratio at 92usd never again in my life! Is this the updated version since it has the 2.5 mm into the cups?

Im driving it from my v40 now at volume 55 and that is pretty high volume and enough!! Do i need an amp to gwt more current? Listen it max will just painful for me!

Attachments

• 20200626_203747_HDR.jpg
    20200626_203747_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200626_204005.jpg
    20200626_204005.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200626_204213.jpg
    20200626_204213.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200626_204406.jpg
    20200626_204406.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #7,994 of 8,051
I promised to load up oics of my M1060 that i bought for 92euro. It sounds much better than i thought! I will probably never experience this soundquality to value ratio at 92usd never again in my life! Is this the updated version since it has the 2.5 mm into the cups?

Im driving it from my v40 now at volume 55 and that is pretty high volume and enough!! Do i need an amp to gwt more current? Listen it max will just painful for me!
Maybe im going to buy an external if that can help battery consumption! High ohm mode draws alot of power from phone? 2 hrs of music =ca 30% gone

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #7,995 of 8,051

I'm glad you are enjoying them! You did indeed get a good deal. As far as I know there have only been 2 revisions, v1 with MMCX and v2 with 2.5mm so you should have the latest version.

Like I mentioned before, volume isn't the whole story. My M1060 at the same volume is less congested sounding on a full sized amp compared to my V20, but the difference isn't huge. However, you are going to get a bigger boost in sound quality from replacing the grilles with 3D printed ones than you will from an amp so if I would do that first if I was you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back