Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #7,996 of 8,051
I'm glad you are enjoying them! You did indeed get a good deal. As far as I know there have only been 2 revisions, v1 with MMCX and v2 with 2.5mm so you should have the latest version.

Like I mentioned before, volume isn't the whole story. My M1060 at the same volume is less congested sounding on a full sized amp compared to my V20, but the difference isn't huge. However, you are going to get a bigger boost in sound quality from replacing the grilles with 3D printed ones than you will from an amp so if I would do that first if I was you.
where can i buy/find those grilles?

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #7,997 of 8,051
where can i buy/find those grilles?

The easiest (and probably cheapest) solution would be download your desired design files (I prefer the honeycomb styles myself) off of thingiverse (just make sure it's for the M1060 and NOT the M1060C since they have different grille sizes) and then find a local print shop that can print you the parts. I'm not sure where you are in Norway, but I Googled "3d printing service in Norway" and saw about a dozen hits on the map. There are also online print marketplaces like Treatstock if you want to find more small business/individuals with 3D printers that will ship to you. In any case, just make sure you select that you want "2" quantity when you get your quotes, one for each earcup! Anyway, I hope that helps! :o2smile:

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #7,998 of 8,051
The easiest (and probably cheapest) solution would be download your desired design files (I prefer the honeycomb styles myself) off of thingiverse (just make sure it's for the M1060 and NOT the M1060C since they have different grille sizes) and then find a local print shop that can print you the parts. I'm not sure where you are in Norway, but I Googled "3d printing service in Norway" and saw about a dozen hits on the map. There are also online print marketplaces like Treatstock if you want to find more small business/individuals with 3D printers that will ship to you. In any case, just make sure you select that you want "2" quantity when you get your quotes, one for each earcup! Anyway, I hope that helps! :o2smile:
thanks! does it matter which grill?If so, what do you recommend? what is a fazor? cant you just link to one you would have choosen?=) tanks so much!

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #7,999 of 8,051
thanks! does it matter which grill?If so, what do you recommend? what is a fazor? cant you just link to one you would have choosen?=) tanks so much!
The less surface area the grille has, the less reflections there are. Which for the M1060 is ideal IMO. This is the one one I have but since I got my M1060 early on it was the only honeycomb one at the time. If I was to get some grilles now I would get this one since I think it looks better (I believe it's also the one OldDude04 has).

Fazors are essentially Soundwave guides that you attach under the pads. I can't comment on how it affects the sound since I don't have Fazors installed on my set but others might be able to say how well they work. I haven't experimented with them since I didn't want to rip off my vegan pads to try them.

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #8,000 of 8,051
The less surface area the grille has, the less reflections there are. Which for the M1060 is ideal IMO. This is the one one I have but since I got my M1060 early on it was the only honeycomb one at the time. If I was to get some grilles now I would get this one since I think it looks better (I believe it's also the one OldDude04 has).

Fazors are essentially Soundwave guides that you attach under the pads. I can't comment on how it affects the sound since I don't have Fazors installed on my set but others might be able to say how well they work. I haven't experimented with them since I didn't want to rip off my vegan pads to try them.

Yessir, that is indeed the one I have. I've had a few different 3D printed grills, and that honeycomb design with the beveled edge is the best mix of sound and sturdiness. The only ones I liked better were the wood ones I had, but unfortunately one of them cracked.

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #8,001 of 8,051
Yessir, that is indeed the one I have. I've had a few different 3D printed grills, and that honeycomb design with the beveled edge is the best mix of sound and sturdiness. The only ones I liked better were the wood ones I had, but unfortunately one of them cracked.
so the one he linked to is the one you have? ive found some 3d printing guys now. gonna check for price. prob not cheap over here=) hmm, windering if 3d printing is hard? or if i need to be good at drawing to use it? seems fun!

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #8,002 of 8,051
Got a got very close to where i live to make them for me. Idk what the normal price to oay for thwm is,but i paid 11 usd. What do u think? Just need to sand it a little?

Attachments

• received_285233589340263.jpeg
    received_285233589340263.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
  • received_266647561311385.jpeg
    received_266647561311385.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
  • received_985610981873885.jpeg
    received_985610981873885.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #8,003 of 8,051
Got a got very close to where i live to make them for me. Idk what the normal price to oay for thwm is,but i paid 11 usd. What do u think? Just need to sand it a little?
Looks good! I paid $10 for my set so I would say $11 is a reasonable price.

Jun 28, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #8,004 of 8,051
Jun 29, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #8,005 of 8,051
Switched plates to honeycomb now. Am i right if i feel the sound was more airy/open or is it just placebo? I didnt think it would help at all when installing them but listening to The XX - Intro it feels more airy/clearer.

However , it looks great at i distant though! But rather cheap up close. Tried to sand it with 1200 paper but i maybe have to go lower ? I think a matte look would be great. The blank plasticky look looks so damn cheap=)

Attachments

• 20200629_213715_HDR.jpg
    20200629_213715_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200629_213751.jpg
    20200629_213751.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 29, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #8,006 of 8,051
Switched plates to honeycomb now. Am i right if i feel the sound was more airy/open or is it just placebo? I didnt think it would help at all when installing them but listening to The XX - Intro it feels more airy/clearer.

However , it looks great at i distant though! But rather cheap up close. Tried to sand it with 1200 paper but i maybe have to go lower ? I think a matte look would be great. The blank plasticky look looks so damn cheap=)

Yes, that more open sound is one of the benefits, the other is cleaning up the frequency response by removing reflections, giving it more natural sound.

As for finishing the grilles, I'm not very familiar with finishing 3D prints but I do know that there are spray paints you can use if you want it more matte.

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #8,007 of 8,051
Yes, that more open sound is one of the benefits, the other is cleaning up the frequency response by removing reflections, giving it more natural sound.

As for finishing the grilles, I'm not very familiar with finishing 3D prints but I do know that there are spray paints you can use if you want it more matte.
I was very satisfied! So now i only need an external smp tjat can drive it properly with my V40

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #8,008 of 8,051
There are some pairs out there that have had a 5k peak issue, but I've had 2 pairs of M1060 and neither had it.

Thanks for that. I took advantage of the M1060 deal off Rakuten a week ago and got them for $180 shipped after tax. Great sounding headphone. I feel like I'm hearing just a touch of smear on cymbals and a little bit of extra sibilance. At first I thought could that be the 5K peak. But now I'm guessing that could be due to reflections. Does that make sense?

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #8,009 of 8,051
Thanks for that. I took advantage of the M1060 deal off Rakuten a week ago and got them for $180 shipped after tax. Great sounding headphone. I feel like I'm hearing just a touch of smear on cymbals and a little bit of extra sibilance. At first I thought could that be the 5K peak. But now I'm guessing that could be due to reflections. Does that make sense?

It really does make sense to me, because I thought there were some reflection issues with both my M1060 and M1060C. Which is why I did the "Fuzzor" mod to the driver on the grill and ear pad side as well as add a few extra pieces of the felt around the inside of the wood ring on the M1060 and the metal ring on the M1060C. That tamed any reflection issues I had. Below is a pic of my M1060 with the felt applied on the grill side, and HERE is the felt I used.

2020-08-19.jpg

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #8,010 of 8,051
Just going to add my 2 cents, as well. In my experience the stock metal grille can also cause glare/reflections. I found that a 3D printed honeycomb one did wonders for the sound. But an easy way to test to see if that's contributing to what's bothering you is to just take the grilles off and see how it sounds since a 3D printed one is pretty much transparent sound-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back