Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 21, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #7,801 of 8,051
Apr 21, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #7,802 of 8,051
Best would be an audeze headband
They are usually available at hifiheaven for around 150 or so

Or you can try and Hifiman headband for like 75 shipped
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/original-headband.html
Or I went the AliExpress route and got this one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY...am-Metal-head-beam-for-D1100/32635964138.html
4FF2E65C-4824-4FE3-8D68-0791F6C2FCF9.jpeg

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #7,803 of 8,051
It has been a while since I have listened to an entry level stax, but if my audio memory serves me right, they were not as good as the Koss ESP.

Koss ESP-950 vs STAX SR-L300 is like Sennheiser HD650 vs Focal Clear... two different things. Had an ESP-950, sold it once got the L300 and L300 Limited as the STAX were much more suited to my preference (best bass I've heard in a headphone, better extension at both ends of the spectrum, and clarity and positional sense of sound you just can't get from the ESP-950.) I do prefer the L300 Limited over the L300, as the regular L300 is more artificial and close-in sounding while the Limited is very natural and more expansive sounding.

Apr 29, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #7,804 of 8,051
Hey gang!

Posting the final product of "Project Sylph". The concept and driving force of this project came about from a dream when I was on a quest to search for "sweet, syrupy nectar".

It's using Vesper Audio hybrid pads with Alcantara inside and Leather Outside. Like what everybody said, it's a tad wider sounding and less veiled than stock pads. Having them hybrid gives me the just the right balance between lows and highs. It's also custom fitted with leather flange for on the fly sealing and opening. Just tuck it in if you want to open it. It's sort of a Jekyll and Hyde feature: when it's fully sealed, it sounds "stock and relatively laid-back", almost sedated which is something I prefer when I just come home from work(sometimes my brain isn't in the mood for detailed signature). Fully open and IT WILL FLY! I've been experimenting with the open baffle system for a month and while I cannot rave enough on how much it transforms the m1060 into a vocal powerhouse(with a lot of treble goodness), it introduces a substantial peak in the arpeggio intro of Ziyoou-Vachi's Kaen. It can easily be fixed by adding felt paper around the ear side fazor. This also makes it sound transparent on electronic music such as Esherick's remix of Beyond the Bounds. It sounds livelier, electric and engaging. On the other hand, it sounded kinda meh with stock pads. The presentation on stock pads was tidy but just too underwhelming. Between sealing and opening the baffles, opening it ironically makes sub-bass livelier and energetic. Like I said, IT FLIES! that said, Listening to Jam Project's "Skill" is truly magical!

And because it hardly sounds anything like stock when it flies, I turned the "ugly duckling" into a hummingbird with the paint job it absolutely deserves. With the deerskin leather band I hand stitched and Vesper Audio's pads, the thing is so comfortable it's like I'm not even wearing anything.
kwTXATr.jpg

QG5jzzg.jpg

EgYtg9v.jpg

EznGSVi.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #7,805 of 8,051
reminder for people who order carbon fiber grilles in the web store, please order 2 if you want a set because they are sold per piece.

May 15, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #7,807 of 8,051
Q on M1060 mod

Is there any additional benefit to do fazor mod on both sides of the drivers? I have already done the inside (ear side) and am happy with the result.
Personally I felt that the felt fuzzor mod is better on the outside (grill side). Since none of the sound from the back should be hitting your ears, wave guides won't really have much results from my experience. What the fuzzor mod is good at is to reduce acoustic reflections. I'd get a grill replacement before that however since that appears to have a much more substantial improvement.

May 15, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #7,808 of 8,051
Personally I felt that the felt fuzzor mod is better on the outside (grill side). Since none of the sound from the back should be hitting your ears, wave guides won't really have much results from my experience. What the fuzzor mod is good at is to reduce acoustic reflections. I'd get a grill replacement before that however since that appears to have a much more substantial improvement.

Completely agree with PockyG.

May 18, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #7,810 of 8,051
Well, everyone perceives sound differently and that's the great thing about modding. You can try a number of combinations to suit your taste :wink:

May 28, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #7,811 of 8,051
Been lurking on this thread for a while and been loving all of the mods for the M1060. I'm working on another pair of M1060's for fun because I like to tinker with stuff. Got some stuff that's being 3D printed by DrSchnickistein and VRacer. But figured it would be a more interesting post if I also included a picture of my slightly modded M1060C.

The CAD file came from a reddit user named tortelett and got it laser cut out of walnut from Ponoko for $30. The linseed oil stain looks better in person. Only thing I did was the open end plates, replaced the factory screws with M2 hex screws, and added in a thin tuning foam. Might consider changing out the pads in the near future but I hope to post up more pictures of the M1060 with mods once the parts come in.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #7,813 of 8,051
My carbon fiber grilles recently got featured in Joshua Valour's comparison vid

May 30, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #7,814 of 8,051
That’s awesome and he is reviewing the m1060c in open back that everyone originally said I was crazy for doing. Great review too. I agree pretty much with everything he said about them.

May 30, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #7,815 of 8,051
My carbon fiber grilles recently got featured in Joshua Valour's comparison vid

Saw it. I got better sound using two aftermarket foams sold on Amazon and eBay. Your 1060c looked impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back