Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 22, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #7,666 of 8,051
Where did you get that cable? I was looking at getting the upgrade cable off monoprice but part of why I want a new cable is the length, want longer than 5 feet. Like the stand too.

It's from Periapt Cables. I wanted a longer than stock cable as well, so I went with the 7ft. They make up to 10ft though if you need it. I really liked how they sent a paper with the cable letting me know who tested, on what headphone, and what song was used, it was a nice touch.

OFCbjbE.jpg 4Nqw2jm.jpg

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #7,667 of 8,051
Those look really nice! One of the problems I always have with headphones is that my ears (and head) are huge and are more comfortable with massive pads that have a large hole in them. It doesn't help that the velour pads I tried made me itch. (I must be allergic to them somehow?)

I haven't tried suede yet. Of course some of the pads out there are quite pricey... $30 is much more reasonable of course.

Do you use these right against the drivers or with the thick stock covering in front of the driver? I would like a pad that slightly tames highs, but does not kill them like the thick material the stock pads include. For now I have pantyhose material protecting the driver (I have fuzzor mod in place on earside) but nothing else, stock pads. I have been using them like this for a while, and it's great for certain kinds of music, but I know I'm not done yet. :)

Join their mailing group and you get 10% off. I paid like $26 for mine. When I took my stock pads off it all came with it, the felt backing and all. I put them right on no issues. Just lined them up just right and pressed down, the glue left from stock pads was plenty. I did have the stock foam out before the change and liked it but I put the stock foam back in under the outside metal grill for now. So prettt much I have stock m1060s with just the pads removed and put these suede ones on. I’ve got the veluer kind on my ath-m50 and they also make me a little itchy after a bit. These suede pads are super comfy. I am sure there probably is better but I don’t think I really have a reason to try anything else out with these results. Mild Eqing and I am super happy.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #7,668 of 8,051
Ladies and Gents, allow me to show you the Vesper Audio Alcantara pads that are a true Audeze Vegan pad alternative. I got them in this morning, and I played some songs through my M1060 with vegans, then removed those and tried the Vesper Audio pads and they sounded just as good as the vegans, maybe even ever so slightly better. They are super comfortable like the vegans as well. I will say the foam is a little stronger in the Verspers because I opted for memory foam which forms to your head so well. Getting Vegan pads is really hard to do now, and when you luck out and find some they are usually $100+, but I got the custom Vesper Audio pads for $67 shipped. So, if you've been looking for some Vegan pads but can't find any or don't want to pay a boatload of money for them, you might want to consider getting you a pair of Vesper Audio alcantara pads made. I put the vegans back on my M1060 since they were already used and now I don't have to worry about what happens when I wear them out because I got the Vesper pads just waiting. Anyway, here are some pics of the Vegans (left) and the Vesper Audios (right) to give you a visual comparison.

I went to Vesper Audio but don't see them. Where do I look?

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #7,669 of 8,051
I went to Vesper Audio but don't see them. Where do I look?

There isn't a pic or page with my specific pads because they are custom order. You'd need to contact them and tell them you want some black all Alcantara pads with memory foam for the M1060.

Feb 24, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #7,671 of 8,051
The primary source of ringing are the grilles reflecting too much. Replacing it with something more open and adding fuzzors are relatively pain free mods

Feb 24, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #7,672 of 8,051
I don't think ringing on m1060 is related to grill. It related to drivers and ears. Modding can lower them to a level I agree.

I never hear ringing from open box. However one time when I accidentally wear the cans L/R reversed (my pads without angle). I hear far whistling on my left ear! Then I reversed L/F, the whistling gone.

After several testing such as reverse cable, amp L/R connection, channel shift in software and shift pads... I found the Right driver have very minor ringing but Left is zero(even without grill and damping).
And my left ear can hear this 5k frequency better then right ear. So if I wear the ringing driver on my weak ear. I don't hear any ringing at all. But the ture is the ringing is always exist. This depends on the driver quality and your hearing ability.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #7,673 of 8,051
Are there any graphs of the ringing before and after mods? I found some on google, but there still seems to be a large wall of ringing at 5Khz, maybe it is not actually that audible, but then a couple of reviews I read, said the ringing is so bad it instantly makes the headphones useless (to those reviewers), maybe it is something some people hear and other don't.

Or possibly you can reduce it with mods, to a level where it is not a problem. I can say personally if I noticed a large amount of ringing at 5Khz, I would not be able to "un notice" it and it would probably be a big problem. Other than this issue, these are extremely interesting considering the price and also 5 year warranty. Looks like they definitely need modding, but that is part of the fun I guess. Do you find the ringing a problem at all after those mods?

Also with the post above, maybe it is a QC issue? Rather than something they all have? possibly those reviews had a bad example? Whereas other people who like them possibly had better drivers with less ringing? Artyouth just said only 1 of the drivers had ringing, assuming this is correct and not a problem with hearing etc. Maybe it is a QC issue and not something they all have.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #7,674 of 8,051
Are there any graphs of the ringing before and after mods? I found some on google, but there still seems to be a large wall of ringing at 5Khz, maybe it is not actually that audible, but then a couple of reviews I read, said the ringing is so bad it instantly makes the headphones useless (to those reviewers), maybe it is something some people hear and other don't.

Or possibly you can reduce it with mods, to a level where it is not a problem. I can say personally if I noticed a large amount of ringing at 5Khz, I would not be able to "un notice" it and it would probably be a big problem. Other than this issue, these are extremely interesting considering the price and also 5 year warranty. Looks like they definitely need modding, but that is part of the fun I guess. Do you find the ringing a problem at all after those mods?

Also with the post above, maybe it is a QC issue? Rather than something they all have? possibly those reviews had a bad example? Whereas other people who like them possibly had better drivers with less ringing? Artyouth just said only 1 of the drivers had ringing, assuming this is correct and not a problem with hearing etc. Maybe it is a QC issue and not something they all have.

I've had no 5k ringing in either pair I have, one that's modified and one that's not. Below is a post I made when someone was asking about the bad things they'd read about the M1060:

The most vocal people about anything are the ones with issues. For every problem you read about the M1060 there are multiple people enjoying their problem free pairs. I can tell you I currently have 2 pairs of the M1060 that are problem free. I liked my main pair so much I bought a 2nd pair just to keep as a spare. They are amazing bang for buck headphones that are a modder's dream. Mine have an Audeze headband, vegan pads, 3D printed grills, 7ft Periapt cable, and some extra speaker cloth over the driver side to stop some reflections I was hearing. I've owned LCD2 Pre-fazors, Aeon Flow Opens, Focal Elears, a couple different HiFiMan sets and I sold them all because the M1060 got all my head time.

I'm not telling you that you should or shouldn't buy the M1060, I'm just giving you a counterpoint to the complaints you've been reading.

Feb 24, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #7,675 of 8,051
Thing is though I would love to see some actual measurements showing no problems around 5Khz, possibly it is just something you do not notice? I don't know... Certainly these are interesting for the price though, and that 5 year warranty is VERY nice considering planar drivers can be unreliable. BUT I think that ringing at 5Khz would bother me, maybe with mods it is not a big problem, I might try some of these though, but I notice most problems with headphones and once I notice something I cannot stop being irritated by it!

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #7,678 of 8,051
tore the stock pads up on my M560's!!! Let the pad swapping begin. Currently got my zmf oval sheepskin and they fit great and dramatic improvement in bass. Gonna do some gaming to see if they increase the soundstage being angled pads and all. I dont know why i didnt get the balls to do this sooner.

IMG_0626.JPG

Dont shy out on these cans, omg they keep getting better

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #7,679 of 8,051
tore the stock pads up on my M560's!!! Let the pad swapping begin. Currently got my zmf oval sheepskin and they fit great and dramatic improvement in bass. Gonna do some gaming to see if they increase the soundstage being angled pads and all. I dont know why i didnt get the balls to do this sooner.

Dont shy out on these cans, omg they keep getting better

I have the M560 also, how did you do the swap? Did you use the magnetic portion? Zmf pads, are they still available?

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #7,680 of 8,051
yeah i took the ring that attaches the stock pads on and completely removed it from the pads. It comes out at a disc with 4 magnets and 3 prongs. Stock pads are demolished but totally worth it.
ZMF pads are always available.
http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/zmf-oval-earpads
I think ori's might work too. I dont want to remove mine from my he4xx's yet to try. The ovals are amazing. Really took these can to a whole new level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back