Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 19, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #7,651 of 8,051
Ladies and Gents, allow me to show you the Vesper Audio Alcantara pads that are a true Audeze Vegan pad alternative. I got them in this morning, and I played some songs through my M1060 with vegans, then removed those and tried the Vesper Audio pads and they sounded just as good as the vegans, maybe even ever so slightly better. They are super comfortable like the vegans as well. I will say the foam is a little stronger in the Verspers because I opted for memory foam which forms to your head so well. Getting Vegan pads is really hard to do now, and when you luck out and find some they are usually $100+, but I got the custom Vesper Audio pads for $67 shipped. So, if you've been looking for some Vegan pads but can't find any or don't want to pay a boatload of money for them, you might want to consider getting you a pair of Vesper Audio alcantara pads made. I put the vegans back on my M1060 since they were already used and now I don't have to worry about what happens when I wear them out because I got the Vesper pads just waiting. Anyway, here are some pics of the Vegans (left) and the Vesper Audios (right) to give you a visual comparison.

Can you give us a more in-depth compassion between the vegan and the vesper audio pads? You mentioned that they might be better; in what way? Lows, mids, highs, imaging, soundstage, clarity; what if any were the differences?

Also since you custom ordered them, what options did you chose?

Feb 19, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #7,652 of 8,051
Ladies and Gents, allow me to show you the Vesper Audio Alcantara pads that are a true Audeze Vegan pad alternative. I got them in this morning, and I played some songs through my M1060 with vegans, then removed those and tried the Vesper Audio pads and they sounded just as good as the vegans, maybe even ever so slightly better. They are super comfortable like the vegans as well. I will say the foam is a little stronger in the Verspers because I opted for memory foam which forms to your head so well. Getting Vegan pads is really hard to do now, and when you luck out and find some they are usually $100+, but I got the custom Vesper Audio pads for $67 shipped. So, if you've been looking for some Vegan pads but can't find any or don't want to pay a boatload of money for them, you might want to consider getting you a pair of Vesper Audio alcantara pads made. I put the vegans back on my M1060 since they were already used and now I don't have to worry about what happens when I wear them out because I got the Vesper pads just waiting. Anyway, here are some pics of the Vegans (left) and the Vesper Audios (right) to give you a visual comparison.

I'd be very interested in how those compare with the Brainwavz XL Micro Suede pads. I went that route myself because I had issues with the angled pads falling off my skinny head... Glad you like them!

Feb 19, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #7,653 of 8,051
Can you give us a more in-depth compassion between the vegan and the vesper audio pads? You mentioned that they might be better; in what way? Lows, mids, highs, imaging, soundstage, clarity; what if any were the differences?

Also since you custom ordered them, what options did you chose?

They are almost 100% exactly like the vegans. I can't say for sure as it might have been new toy-itus but there appeared to be a bit more sound stage. I thought it might be because of the memory foam keeping the driver further away. That's why I said maybe even ever so slightly better. As for options, I chose all black alcantara with memory foam for M1060. They have pleather, leather, and alcantara, all in several colors. With their leather pads they also offer some cooling gel as well. Check the link in my first post and you can see all the pads they make and the options.

Feb 19, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #7,654 of 8,051
I'd be very interested in how those compare with the Brainwavz XL Micro Suede pads. I went that route myself because I had issues with the angled pads falling off my skinny head... Glad you like them!

Unfortunately I haven't tried their Micro Suedes, so I won't be of much help there.

Feb 20, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #7,655 of 8,051
Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #7,656 of 8,051
Hmmm... since I do plan to purchase Vesper custom pads, I just thought of a crazy idea that might just work...

Remember those fazors with open baffles and the modification that Atilla made?

10241031.jpg

what if we can integrate something elastic with the custom pads to make it more elegant that can hug around the wooden body? Hmmm...

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #7,657 of 8,051
Hmmm... been working on updating the fazor designs.

The cross section of the previous fazors were either ellipsoid or triangles. I changed them to trochoids (or in between a triangle and an ellipsoid).

rear fazor: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3442936

cKPA7bJ.png

the top section is pointier

HRnSGrX.png

I also added a millimeter of meat to the side section so the transition won't be so abrupt

TdurCHq.png

and still work in progress for the 2 piece front fazor. The cavity is 1mm deeper or 50% increase in space. I'm currently working on a mounting solution for it :wink:

QTBDnck.png

the corners are rounded off to have uniform transition

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #7,658 of 8,051
For you M560 owners still around, I found some killer pads for them
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/70m...Ear-Pad-for-Sony-for-AKG-for/32899642902.html

I ordered the 95mm ones, dirt cheap and they are great quality with mem foam for comfort. Ear holes are bigger then stock so they fit alot better too. I just got around to installing them today wow what a difference.
I like them so much I bought the sheepskin version
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/She...Headphones-Ear-Pads-Cushions/32952117215.html

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #7,659 of 8,051
For you M560 owners still around, I found some killer pads for them
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/70m...Ear-Pad-for-Sony-for-AKG-for/32899642902.html

I ordered the 95mm ones, dirt cheap and they are great quality with mem foam for comfort. Ear holes are bigger then stock so they fit alot better too. I just got around to installing them today wow what a difference.
I like them so much I bought the sheepskin version
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/She...Headphones-Ear-Pads-Cushions/32952117215.html

It looks like some of them might fit on the M1060 also, though I don't know if anyone has tried non-angled pads with it.

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #7,660 of 8,051
It looks like some of them might fit on the M1060 also, though I don't know if anyone has tried non-angled pads with it.
I saw those pads the other day while looking for some for my K240. The 110mm ones have the same dimensions (110mm diameter, 30mm thickness) as Brainwavz XL round pads. Some M1060 owners has used the brainwavz ones so these should fit but the M1060 seems to respond best to suede or Alcantara.

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #7,661 of 8,051
I used dekoni k7xx sheepskins on my m1060c and they sounded great but I still prefer the angled suede eikon pads over the flat pads.

Im about ready to rip the stock pads apart and use the rings in side them for pad swapping on the m560. For what they are and how much they were, they still are amazing headphones. The build quality is second to none and they sound amazing. My biggest grip with them were the pads. I got the v2's that monoprice would not admit they made. Smaller pads, tighter headband and strap. The pads were more of an on ear pad then over ear. I found an old pair used for 50 bucks and swapped the pads out for the old style and then gave them to my buddy who has never heard "Good" headphones before. He loves them.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #7,663 of 8,051
Is the upgrade cable on Monoprice have any real effect on sound other than signal clarity? Thinking of getting it but o
I found a new leather headphone stand for my M1060, perfect fit and it looks great. It's THIS ONE.

Where did you get that cable? I was looking at getting the upgrade cable off monoprice but part of why I want a new cable is the length, want longer than 5 feet. Like the stand too.

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #7,664 of 8,051
Feb 22, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #7,665 of 8,051
I use these and love them. Not sure what sonic difference they have to angled but these sound and feel great to me.
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...phone-memory-foam-earpads-xl-size-micro-suede
Those look really nice! One of the problems I always have with headphones is that my ears (and head) are huge and are more comfortable with massive pads that have a large hole in them. It doesn't help that the velour pads I tried made me itch. (I must be allergic to them somehow?)

I haven't tried suede yet. Of course some of the pads out there are quite pricey... $30 is much more reasonable of course.

Do you use these right against the drivers or with the thick stock covering in front of the driver? I would like a pad that slightly tames highs, but does not kill them like the thick material the stock pads include. For now I have pantyhose material protecting the driver (I have fuzzor mod in place on earside) but nothing else, stock pads. I have been using them like this for a while, and it's great for certain kinds of music, but I know I'm not done yet. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back