Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 17, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #7,201 of 8,051
Jun 18, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #7,203 of 8,051
Comparing M1060 and SONY MDR-7520 which is better for giving clear and loss less output of audio throughout being consistent and detailed.
Clarity wise, The Sony is hands down a more detailed headphone for frequencies between 150hz to 10Khz. I still use my CD900ST (though far inferior to 7520) for monitoring purposes. But the sony's can be fairly fatiguing for long listening. M1060 and MDR7520 are completely different types of headphones though so it's kinda unfair to try to compare the two.

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #7,204 of 8,051
You have to remember that this is head-fi...kind of at the extreme end of things where this is more of a top level hobby in the lives of a lot of people; hence the modding and extra steps. The m1060 sounds great as it is for the price. Just grab a used pair from the forums or ebay and save even more...get them for $180ish and it's a steal.

Not gonna lie...X2s beat it IMHO, SHP9500s are every bit as enjoyable, I can construct an argument that the little m560s are better in some ways, etc; point is that there is no "omg, these are God's voice encased in a can" headphones. m1060s are very nice, very cheap vs competition open back planars for those looking to try such a thing and add to their options. Love both the m560 and m1060s.

Okay, I have to step in here. I loved my X2's and 9500's in their day and still own them...and in my opinion, and mine alone, they're not close to HD6XX/M1060. Or my X00 Purplehearts. Again, my ears and my opinion.

STAX Lambdas...

:wink:

Go crawl in a hole and think about what you have done :expressionless:
VRacer is right. EXCEPT for the extreme ULF comparison I postulated a few pages back, my Stax are solidly the best in my collection. In fact, I'm basically no longer in the market for new headphones because of them.

It's a great feeling, actually :D

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #7,205 of 8,051
So I was modding my M1060 a bit further. Somebody many pages ago (thank you!) have posted online 3D designs for cups to turn M1060 to M1060C. So instead of buying new headphones I printed these cups (expensive, a lot of plastic is used) and put them on. And initially I was disappointed - sound was thin, piercing, narrow. That must have been caused by the reflections and lack of driver ventilation. I borrowed idea from my Denon D2000 not to close cup fully, but to leave small openings and somebody in forum advised to use Akasa dampening material inside the cup. Have to say these made really enjoyable differences - sound became fuller, not so piercing anymore. It is still quite narrow compared to the open setup and more mid-forward, but it is usable. So if somebody would like to have closed M1060 - it is not that expensive :) Several pictures below for reference.
20180612_173622.jpg
20180612_173650-1.jpg
20180612_173709-1.jpg
20180612_175627.jpg

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #7,206 of 8,051
So I was modding my M1060 a bit further. Somebody many pages ago (thank you!) have posted online 3D designs for cups to turn M1060 to M1060C. So instead of buying new headphones I printed these cups (expensive, a lot of plastic is used) and put them on. And initially I was disappointed - sound was thin, piercing, narrow. That must have been caused by the reflections and lack of driver ventilation. I borrowed idea from my Denon D2000 not to close cup fully, but to leave small openings and somebody in forum advised to use Akasa dampening material inside the cup. Have to say these made really enjoyable differences - sound became fuller, not so piercing anymore. It is still quite narrow compared to the open setup and more mid-forward, but it is usable. So if somebody would like to have closed M1060 - it is not that expensive :) Several pictures below for reference.
Nice, how much did the prints cost? I was able to get the honeycombs for $10 shipped. I'm really thinking of buying a printer for myself :D.

Jun 20, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #7,207 of 8,051
Okay, I have to step in here. I loved my X2's and 9500's in their day and still own them...and in my opinion, and mine alone, they're not close to HD6XX/M1060. Or my X00 Purplehearts. Again, my ears and
the m1060s have a nice, overall "coherency" going on where it seems like all frequencies jell and play nicely...that's what I tend to like about these. However, the X2 has it beat in terms of sound stage and depth...sounds rise higher and sink lower, sounds pan farther left or right, etc; everything sounds way more spread out and the presentation is much more dramatic.

And as far as the SHP9500s go, the mid and high frequency characterisitics combined with the overall "airiness" makes overdriven and distorted guitars sound great. The SHP9500s are better for classic rock and anything rock related falling short of the heaviest of metal genres...anything that doesn't need huge bass response, basically. As an example, I'd take the SHP9500s for listening to AC/DC over anything else that I own...just 100% perfect through the little Q1 with the bass switch engaged. It's the air, space, and bite within the mids and highs that make it so great for this. I don't get this same sort of thing out of any other headphone that I have...100% cranked Marshall Plexi awesomeness through those cheap-o's.

They all have strengths and weaknesses; m1060 definitely is the "pleasantly agreeable" headphone out of all that I have.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #7,208 of 8,051
Nice, how much did the prints cost? I was able to get the honeycombs for $10 shipped. I'm really thinking of buying a printer for myself :D.

These cups cost about 6 times the price of honeycomb grille. So if you have paid 10 USD for honeycombs including shipping, I'd say these would be around 40-50 (not sure how much the shipping was). Quite more plastic is being used here.

Jun 21, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #7,209 of 8,051
Woah, if this is the part (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2757518), then it shouldn't be that expensive.

I ran it through my calculator and I'd charge around $5 per piece for what I'd consider standard print settings(about the same resolution as the Kulgrinda has). Shipping might be a bit weird since it's a bulky thing in a padded envelope, but it'd probably still ship the same way the fazors do.

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #7,210 of 8,051
Woah, if this is the part (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2757518), then it shouldn't be that expensive.

I ran it through my calculator and I'd charge around $5 per piece for what I'd consider standard print settings(about the same resolution as the Kulgrinda has). Shipping might be a bit weird since it's a bulky thing in a padded envelope, but it'd probably still ship the same way the fazors do.

Yes, that is the same design I've used. I was explained that density settings increased plastic usage. And of course this is not hollow.

Jun 24, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #7,211 of 8,051
Hi ive been thinking of getting either Monolith M1060 Planar Headphones or hifiman sundara. Any opinions? I like all sorts of music from hip hop, metal to jazz.

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #7,212 of 8,051
I had sidelined my M1060 V2, as they were a distant second to my Fidelio X2s, on my Emotiva XDA-2 V2

Out of boredom I recently purchased a pair of the 1More 3X Titanium (Maserati style grills) headphones; they were on sale recently, for a little over $150. Kicked them to the curb 2 weeks later. Their V Shape is definitely for those that like a bright profile/gamers, . The higher bands (thanks to the Piezo tweeter) were intolerable for me.

Before going back to the X2s, I figured that I would use the M1060s to break in my (just recv'd) Audio-GD R2R 11; as most reviews recommend them for planars. This combo is an outright win for me. I can finally listen to "Classic World: Japan", on Spotify, without any fatigue, on the M1060s.

My Dekoni, velour pads should be arriving today, as well.

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #7,213 of 8,051
Hi ive been thinking of getting either Monolith M1060 Planar Headphones or hifiman sundara. Any opinions? I like all sorts of music from hip hop, metal to jazz.
I was able to test the Sundara on loan, check out what I and others have said about it here - HiFiMan Sundara Loaner Program!

About two weeks later I got the M1060 and there is a noticeable veil on the Sundara when compared to my T40RP and M1060. They still sound great though, less harsh on the highs than the Monoprices. They have a narrower soundstage but fantastic clarity and definition.

The Sundara is built fantastically and look very stylish. I basically say that they are perfect for someone who doesn't want to tweak/mod the internals/cups/pads.

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #7,214 of 8,051
What mods are required on the monolith to get the best out of it. I've read about new grills, but where do you get them from?

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #7,215 of 8,051
I just received my 3D printed m1060 parts (thanks SomeTechNoob), but I'm a bit hesitant to start modding without a game plan. Is there some kind of tutorial or step by step photo guide to disassembling the M1060 for mods?

For the replacement grilles, is it as simple as removing the 4 small screws on each grille? What is under there besides the foam sheet? Would removal of the grille and foam sheet allow me to install the rear fazors, or is more disassembly required?

What about the ear pad side fazors? Do I just peel off the ear pads and then stick them on? Is double sided tape recommended, or something else?

Would love to find an "Idiot's Guide to M1060 mods!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back