Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 12, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #6,721 of 8,051
I put my xd700 pads backs on my m560's today just to test against my xd500 pads again and all of a sudden there is a lot more base that I felt was missing and they sound spectacular. Is it because they have been burnt in more now? Its seems I need to add a little more power to them now too but the sound is amazing.

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #6,722 of 8,051
I just discovered this yesterday. So disappointed, I thought they had the cracked wood problem solved. I bought these in late November 17 and have also had the oem cable fail at the 3.5mm connector. I've sent them a message. We'll see what my options are. At this point I'd like to let them have them back. I'll accept store credit. So disappointed in the quality issues with these cans.

Wow! The crack isn't even at the hinge. The thinnest part. Were they dropped? I see what looks like a dent there.

Mine cracked on one hinge too. I think I'm going to try and fix it.

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #6,723 of 8,051
What headphon amp does everyone like? I have tried straight out of my Korg DSDAc 100m, Cyberdrive Feather, CMOY tin amp and my heavily power supply upgraded Creek OBH-11. They sound full and very impactful with the Creek. So what amp do you like? Also straight out of my Xduoo X10 and Fiio X3 II, good just not impactful.
I just love my Project Ember ll with them.

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #6,724 of 8,051
Wow! The crack isn't even at the hinge. The thinnest part. Were they dropped? I see what looks like a dent there.

Mine cracked on one hinge too. I think I'm going to try and fix it.

No, they were not dropped. They have been on my head and placed face down on a shelf since received. I don't know how long they've been broken as I never look at the front of them. Monoprice has sent me an RMA and assure me that I will receive new ones in their place. I'm thinking I will likely sell them as I don't want to have any headphone with such a poor track record of staying together. As stated earlier, I'm very disappointed. These are decent sounding cans, but seem too delicate to be practical.

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #6,725 of 8,051
so is there any consensus on pads besides vegans and zmf eikon? both are out of my budget. love the sound of these headphones but the sibilance at 5k is bothering me. not so bad on some songs but its really harsh on others. also have 4.1 fazor and honey comb grille otw. I tried a piece of paper towel with and without stock foam and it didnt help much. i've been digging this thread for days but havent found anything conclusive. saw creatology foam mod somewhere back but have no idea how to do that.

Feb 13, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #6,727 of 8,051
Hello guys. I've been owner of a modded M1060 for about a week now and so far Im very satisfied with these headphones. Im coming from bass-heavy superlux 681 evo cans and I have to say this clarity and punchy fast planarbass is a killer kombo! I have vegan pads+paper towel mod with VRacer's honeycomb grill. It's awesome but do you guys recommend to try fuzzor mode along with these mods? How should it sound with vegan+paper+fuzzor mode? I have read a lot that vegan+fuzzor mod sounds like a LCD-2, not bad huh? Sometimes I miss a little bit more weight and slam in bass, especially in upper mids like fast bass drums. Do you think there is anything to do about that or just play with EQ? I have tried EQ these but I find it very difficult, any suggestions? I think all of this is just compromising. Thank you very much.:smile_phones:

Feb 13, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #6,728 of 8,051
Sometimes I miss a little bit more weight and slam in bass, especially in upper mids like fast bass drums. Do you think there is anything to do about that or just play with EQ? I have tried EQ these but I find it very difficult, any suggestions? I think all of this is just compromising. Thank you very much.:smile_phones:

I find the m1060s respond very well to EQ, almost too well. It's easy to overdo it. My suggestion is to start on the ends and work your way to the middle. I'm a fan of big bass and will bump 20-60Hz up ~5db as well as the 14Khz and higher up 2-3db. Then I tweak the edges inside of those depending on what i'm listening to.

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #6,729 of 8,051
Just a quick heads up. I just received an email from Monoprice. It says the M1060C is now available for order. Right now my finances don't allow me to get in on the first batch but I'm sure they will sell out quickly. Just thought I'd share the info so maybe we can get some reviews going on soon. Hope this helps :)

Lasher

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #6,730 of 8,051
Just a quick heads up. I just received an email from Monoprice. It says the M1060C is now available for order. Right now my finances don't allow me to get in on the first batch but I'm sure they will sell out quickly. Just thought I'd share the info so maybe we can get some reviews going on soon. Hope this helps :)

Lasher

Only 480 left! :) I'm tempted too, but I just moved (moving is expensive!) so I'm tapped out as well. I will be very interested to hear more reviews though!

Feb 13, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #6,731 of 8,051
For those who have not tried it and are looking for an amp, the Emotiva BasX A-100 is fantastic. Sounds wonderful out of the box with the M1060, but for less efficient headphones, it has a 'direct drive' mode that puts all 50 speaker amp watts directly into the headphones. It's scary powerful; if you do this with the M1060, you'd better have a volume controlled source! (My T50s work fine in direct mode as is.)

Amazing desktop and headphone amp. And great price, too.

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #6,732 of 8,051
To those who you find the M1060 is lacking in bass
  1. Your amp freq response on the low end is not flat and is rolled off
  2. Your M1060 is defective
  3. Listen to these headphones (HD600, SHP9500, Grados, K702, HD800) FOR A YEAR, NO EQ, NO BASS BOOST, NO TUBES
  4. After you do number 3, proceed to listen to the M1060

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #6,734 of 8,051
  3. Listen to these headphones (HD600, SHP9500, Grados, K702, HD800) FOR A YEAR, NO EQ, NO BASS BOOST, NO TUBES

I dont mean that M1060 is lacking in bass anyway, just wanting to get a little more punch out there. When playing with EQ and adding few db's here and there in between 10-50hz I do get notably more bass and kick and that doesn't sound bad at all. Im driving these M1060 with Schiit Fulla 2, not ideal for sure but I think its enough for me. The more I tune these headphones the more Im starting to like.

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #6,735 of 8,051
This is so funny I'm assuming it an off-handed joke :ksc75smile: but what if I find the M1060 dull and boring? what's the solution then? :o2smile:
BTW, I've heard some modded Grado's that have more apparent bass than the M1060, they just don't go as low as the M1060 but since not many genres really go low the modded Grado's do seem like they have more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back