Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jan 4, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #6,467 of 8,051
Can somebody compare the M1060 vs Meze 99 Classics? I really like the sound of 99 classics but they were too uncomfortable for me so I gave them away to my mom. Ordered MSR7 pads last month from ebay. The main things I'm looking for is better comfort and wider soundstage, maybe a sub-bass extension as well. What are the M1060's main drawbacks compared to the 99 Classics? I know the build quality is worse but the Meze's I had were not ideal also (the headband broke after a couple of months).

I can! I actually ended up in a VERY close decision between the M1060 and the Maple/Silver Meze 99 Classics. I still think the Mezes sounded more... "fun?" They just have this rich vibrancy that makes listening to music a joy! But they do have a more closed soundstage vs the M1060s, and the M1060s EQed with the paper towel mod felt more detailed and had a little more presence to me.
I ultimately decided on the M1060s, but I really liked them both equally- the M1060s just felt like a better deal at the time! (especially since I didn't have any other open-back cans at the time) Hopefully that's helpful!!

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #6,470 of 8,051
If you don't mind me asking, why did you return them?

I didn't return them; I gifted them to my son. If you look at the equipment list in my profile, you can see why I passed the 1060s along -- they weren't getting much head time. In fact, other than the Utopias, and, to a lesser extent, the HEKs, non of my other cans are getting head time. I keep meaning to take pictures and post some ads :)

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #6,471 of 8,051
I didn't return them; I gifted them to my son. If you look at the equipment list in my profile, you can see why I passed the 1060s along -- they weren't getting much head time. In fact, other than the Utopias, and, to a lesser extent, the HEKs, non of my other cans are getting head time. I keep meaning to take pictures and post some ads :)
Sorry, I didn't read your last post good enough lol.

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #6,473 of 8,051
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #6,475 of 8,051
New pads is the best mod for the m1060, right? what exactly is so bad about the stock ones?
Nothing really, they are very nice stock pads, most people got new pads in order to remove the 5k ringing that only some people can hear, audeze vegan pads in particular

Jan 5, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #6,476 of 8,051
Nothing really, they are very nice stock pads, most people got new pads in order to remove the 5k ringing that only some people can hear, audeze vegan pads in particular
And that;s the most effective way to reduce ringing for those that hear it? I always thought modifying the damping behind the drivers would yield the most significant results

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #6,477 of 8,051
And that;s the most effective way to reduce ringing for those that hear it? I always thought modifying the damping behind the drivers would yield the most significant results

Changing to a vegan pad or any velour or hybrid pad is also a great way to kill some of the bass.... One of the headphones best features, I could never hear the ringing so I kept the stock pads and they are very comfortable. I often wear them for 4 hour stretches with no pain.

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #6,478 of 8,051

That was easiest way to get rid of the harsh mids for me. I also HATE pleather so the stock pads had to go. The drop in bass was negligible and I'm a bass head. Velour drops the bass more than micro suede does since the velour is less densely woven and diffuses more of the sound. The ZMF Eikon suede are the right size and are made of a similar material as the vegans. ZMF said that it sounds like a non-perferated leather pad.

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #6,479 of 8,051
Those are the round ones right, I'm away from my m1060's and I don't believe the m1060 pads are perfectly round. You would be better off with zmf Eikon Lambskin or Suede
Those are over 3 times the price and still not the same shape. The ear part of the m1060 is square, whole the eikons are ovals. The eikons will actually cover up some of the drivers. Plus the eikons are over 3x the cost of the brainwavz.

Unless you mean the shape of the whole pads themselves, and not the inner ear cavity. In which case, they are circular.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #6,480 of 8,051
Those are over 3 times the price and still not the same shape. The ear part of the m1060 is square, whole the eikons are ovals. The eikons will actually cover up some of the drivers. Plus the eikons are over 3x the cost of the brainwavz.

Unless you mean the shape of the whole pads themselves, and not the inner ear cavity. In which case, they are circular.
They were meant for Audeze lcd headphones, so if it fits those than its going to be perfect for the m1060, also they are round not oval.
IMG_2934-2.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back