Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Nov 30, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #6,136 of 8,051
Actually the HD4XX is $169 and the Monoprice is $300, which is almost 80% more not 45%. 80% of $169 is $135. If something doubles in price, that is a 100% increase not a 50% increase.

In any case, thanks a lot for your insight. I really do want the M1060. The 4XX uses the housing of the 400 and the driver of the 400i, so maybe its better than the 400i?

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #6,137 of 8,051
The more I listen to my m1060s, the more im thinking that monoprice made a silent revision after ver2 in order to fix the 5k ringing, because this so called infamous "ringing" is non existent in my pair. what a steal for $250!
I Have version one unmodded and never have I heard 5k ringing. I also possess a LCD2f and a HE500 and to my ears the 1060 outperforms both. I'm thinking that there's something wrong with my hearing ability.

Nov 30, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #6,138 of 8,051
I Have version one unmodded and never have I heard 5k ringing. I also possess a LCD2f and a HE500 and to my ears the 1060 outperforms both. I'm thinking that there's something wrong with my hearing ability.
I'm 21 and I can hear up to 17khz, so I'm pretty sure its not my hearing... YMMV

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #6,141 of 8,051
I have has the 4xx for a couple of days now but haven't had time for proper burn in but initially I find the 1060 has more sub bass , clarity and space between instruments. The 4xx has more punch in the bass but again not as deep in sub bass. I feel the upper range is good and so is mids but at times they feel almost a little congested which never happens on the 1060. They have improved , digging a bit deeper into sub bass and clearer overall so don't weigh all that too heavily yet. I think a deeper set of angled pads might pick them up a bit overall. My 1060's are modded so this is not a stock vs stock comparison. The 4xx is a great deal at the price and I find them very fun with a lot of potential but I would pay the price difference at this point for the 1060.

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #6,142 of 8,051
I would add that the 4xx are harder to drive than the 1060 but they both come alive with better amping which is worth mentioning that I've only evaluated the 4xx so far with dac it-aune x7s and aune t1mk3 so it might change with other amping.

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #6,145 of 8,051
Play 'Come Again' by Damn Yankees at a fairly high volume and see if your pair doesn't sound harsh/have ringing during some of the louder and complex passages.
The vocals were just a tad bit harsh, but no ringing in the ears, if there is ringing, its so faint that I cant hear it. Unless harshness == ringing...

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #6,146 of 8,051
The vocals were just a tad bit harsh, but no ringing in the ears, if there is ringing, its so faint that I cant hear it. Unless harshness == ringing...
I don't like describing it as "ringing" because that implies lengthened decay. Shouty/harsh mids are what it sounds like to me and I'm pretty sure it's caused by inner pad reflections. I think a lot of people are looking at the waterfalls and seeing the ortho wall and assuming that's what they are hearing but I don't think pads affect the ortho wall whereas pads greatly affect the shouty/harsh mids. I think it bothers people to varying degrees which is why some people are fine with stock pads. I, like CSkippy, was very bothered by it and a pad swap made them so much better.

*Disclaimer: I'm not audio engineer or scientist and I don't pretend to fully understand this stuff. These are merely my observations with the headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #6,147 of 8,051
I don't like describing it as "ringing" because that implies lengthened decay. Shouty/harsh mids are what it sounds like to me and I'm pretty sure it's caused by inner pad reflections. I think a lot of people are looking at the waterfalls and seeing the ortho wall and assuming that's what they are hearing but I don't think pads affect the ortho wall whereas pads greatly affect the shouty/harsh mids. I think it bothers people to varying degrees which is why some people are fine with stock pads. I, like CSkippy, was very bothered by it and a pad swap made them so much better.
Does your m1060, when you get the harshness or ringing sound have a "reverbish" sound to them?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #6,148 of 8,051
Does your m1060 the harshness or ringing sound have a "reverbish" sound to them?
Not really (from what I remember, these have long since been modded with Vegans). The harshness was more like a piercing amplification of certain mid tones. I guess there could have been some reverbish qualities but I think calling it "ringing" isn't an accurate description. When ever I would run into a female vocal-heavy song I would have to turn down the volume and in really bad instances change the song if it became too much. I couldn't EQ out the problem, either. Sorry for the poor explanation, but this stuff can be hard to put into words sometimes.

Dec 2, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #6,149 of 8,051
Hey guys this is my first post in head-fi forum.

I feel sad that the first post has to be something unexpected. I ordered the m1060 during the black friday sale and received it in 30 November. After listening to it for 30 minutes, I left it on my table ( Actually waiting for Magni 3 to arrive). Suddenly decided to try it on xduoo x3 without amplification, picked it up and realized that I wore the headphone wrong way(angled pad issue, It might sound funny because I am a newcomer in this). So I tried to detached the cable and put them the other way. But to my horror, the tip of one 2.5mm jack got broken and stayed inside the port ! Now I am totally lost and sad, didn't expect this to happen at all. Now the question is, is this covered under warranty? I have sent the Monoprice support center an email about it and waiting for their response. Can you guys share your experiences? Did this happen to anyone else here??

gDnaEIRl.jpg

04V0m

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back