Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Dec 3, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #6,166 of 8,051
I am using these pads with them. They are the right size and are slightly lower profile/tad more comfortable than stock. Couldn't A/B sound between the pads too well but I think the sound is less directed than stock, with washier mids. They also give me another notch to extend the headband (I'm at the topmost notch with stock). These are much better fit than the Brainwavs memory foam angled velours which are too small, and should be aggressively stretched (those sound better though). I'd say only get them if stock is giving you comfort problems
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076SLL6BK

Had m1060 for a week and trying to figure out what sounds good on them too. Enjoying modern mixes with sparse orchestration and cracking transients the most, as the mids on these gets stuffy. Tracks with lots of midrange reverb is a bit of a mess.
So far hiphop (which I don't really listen to usually) shines on these as does anything by Tom Misch. Dnb unfortunately isn't too great. Too busy in the mids. I'd say funk and rock without too much in the upper-mids. Deep house does pretty well too.
If anyone has youtube playlists of tracks that sound good on the m1060 please share.

For the record, I have tried every mod I could find. Stock, fuzzer, pad swap, paper towel, removed grill, seatbelt cover headphone padding, removed foam, added my own thinner felt to replace foam. But since I can't do tests I can't say for sure what each has changed. I currently have them with fuzzer, a couple of different pads, no grill/foam + felt on back of driver + a decent amount of EQ including a modest low end hump and some cuts in the mids. Honestly most of these won't make a huge difference, I just had too much time on my hands.

You technically can put small wooden calabash bowls over the cups if you want these to be semi-closed. Sound result isn't great: bass increase, strident highs, sucks out mids, and moves in soundstage, as you'd expect, but you could experiment with different depths. They sell them cheaper at stores ($3-4 each)
https://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Merc...12354137&sr=1-1&keywords=wooden+calabash+bowl

What I can say is the pad swap and grill removal made the headphones slightly lighter which doesn't hurt. The headphone padding only helps a very small amount. The headband is still crap, but my head is slowly adjusting and I am not in as much pain as I was originally.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #6,167 of 8,051
Anyone try the ZMF suede pads yet? How are they? I think either the Eikon or the Ori pads would fit.
I received my pair of Suede Eikon pads a few days ago!

1201172021.jpg

They are immaculate and deserve an audition on everything. They are certainly the most comfortable pads I have, currently they're on my th-x00 PH with (and also trying out the) Dekoni attenuation rings, but I haven't put much time into them yet, the 1060 is still too new to me.

I'm not certain that these are an answer to the vegan pads, I've never heard those however so maybe they do have similarities. The way I see it, the shape isn't right. I think there's something to be said for how the stock pad sits over the driver, completely bordering it without overlapping at all. There's also some kind of ring on it that holds the entirety of the pad to the face of the whatsit. The air has a direct channel intoyourbrainmakeyouhaveagoodtime and on the pads I've tried, Eikon included there's overlap and a bunch of fexible, comfortable material for sound and air to get all up in and generally make everything muffled (to me?). To this point, stock pads are the best sound I've found, and I haven't tried a whole lot, but I thought the Eikons would be a good stab at it. Now I've got an awesome set of suede pads that absolutely will have a home.

1203171957.jpg

1203171955.jpg

Also trying other easy, wildly reversible things. I really don't have any problems with stock m1060, but if I can get something interesting to happen to the sound, that'd be awesome and if I could improve the comfort without sacrificing my enjoyment of its sound signature, that would be the dream.

Been listening to them with an audio-gd nfb 11.32

Every pair of pads I put on it feel so much better on my large head (I have a large head). I'm thinking about trying something with the headband that isn't involved at all, maybe if they sat on my head differently it would affect the comfort? These are just idle thoughts now I should stop.

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #6,168 of 8,051
I received my pair of Suede Eikon pads a few days ago!

They are immaculate and deserve an audition on everything. They are certainly the most comfortable pads I have, currently they're on my th-x00 PH with (and also trying out the) Dekoni attenuation rings, but I haven't put much time into them yet, the 1060 is still too new to me.

I'm not certain that these are an answer to the vegan pads, I've never heard those however so maybe they do have similarities. The way I see it, the shape isn't right. I think there's something to be said for how the stock pad sits over the driver, completely bordering it without overlapping at all. There's also some kind of ring on it that holds the entirety of the pad to the face of the whatsit. The air has a direct channel intoyourbrainmakeyouhaveagoodtime and on the pads I've tried, Eikon included there's overlap and a bunch of fexible, comfortable material for sound and air to get all up in and generally make everything muffled (to me?). To this point, stock pads are the best sound I've found, and I haven't tried a whole lot, but I thought the Eikons would be a good stab at it. Now I've got an awesome set of suede pads that absolutely will have a home.

Also trying other easy, wildly reversible things. I really don't have any problems with stock m1060, but if I can get something interesting to happen to the sound, that'd be awesome and if I could improve the comfort without sacrificing my enjoyment of its sound signature, that would be the dream.

Been listening to them with an audio-gd nfb 11.32

Every pair of pads I put on it feel so much better on my large head (I have a large head). I'm thinking about trying something with the headband that isn't involved at all, maybe if they sat on my head differently it would affect the comfort? These are just idle thoughts now I should stop.[/QUOTE

I didn't find them uncomfortable in the first place (lots of hair :) ) but I added this anyway. I think it will help those that have an issue with the stock headband. Search Amazon for this headband (seller is Geekria) I can't put a link on w/o it showing up as my own order, and the possibility for anyone to load me up with hundreds of these things ... not that anyone would :) Good luck with it.

Geekria
SONY MDR-V6, MDR-V600, MDR-V900, MDR-Z600, MDR-7506, MDR-7509, MDR-CD900ST, MDR-NC500D Headphones Replacement Headband Cover/ Headband Protector Repair Parts / Easy DIY Installation No Tool Needed

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #6,172 of 8,051
I couldn't stand the mids on these V2's. Did a rough fuzzor mod and removed the back foam last night. Totally got rid of the tin can sound that made me hate them (the "ringing" everyone refers to), but now they are a bit harsh in the treble in some music. I don't mind that nearly as much and sometimes actually like it. I'm currently in the process of picking off the pleather material on the inside of the ear cups exposing the cloth. I'm hoping this will minimize pad reflections giving a similar sound to suede pads. It is taking forever though. I wish I knew a solvent that would speed this up but I don't want to risk ruining the pads or giving myself dermatitis. I will also be doing a more precise fuzzor mod since even the quick and dirty one made a HUGE positive difference. If anyone has a suggestion for stripping pleather please let me know. It always seems to come off so easy on my furniture when I don't want it to lol.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #6,173 of 8,051
I couldn't stand the mids on these V2's. Did a rough fuzzor mod and removed the back foam last night. Totally got rid of the tin can sound that made me hate them (the "ringing" everyone refers to), but now they are a bit harsh in the treble in some music. I don't mind that nearly as much and sometimes actually like it. I'm currently in the process of picking off the pleather material on the inside of the ear cups exposing the cloth. I'm hoping this will minimize pad reflections giving a similar sound to suede pads. It is taking forever though. I wish I knew a solvent that would speed this up but I don't want to risk ruining the pads or giving myself dermatitis. I will also be doing a more precise fuzzor mod since even the quick and dirty one made a HUGE positive difference. If anyone has a suggestion for stripping pleather please let me know. It always seems to come off so easy on my furniture when I don't want it to lol.

What I have done instead of what you're doing, is taking the same material that you've used to do the 'fuzzor' mod (I used Creatolgy) and applying strips to the top, 'front', and bottom of the insides of the pads. It's worked well for me, as it seems to be absorbing any reflections.

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #6,174 of 8,051
Well, I took the driver apart to make perfect cuts for the fuzzor mod and ruined it so now mine are paper weights :cry: I Saw DMS3 TV ruined his too, so I guess I can take consolation in that I'm not the only one... Now to shop for some full size cans that I like right out of the box I guess...

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #6,175 of 8,051
If you go back a couple pages you'll see I almost ruined the drivers by taking them apart.

PSA DO NOT TAKE THE DRIVERS APART

Dec 5, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #6,176 of 8,051
Well, I took the driver apart to make perfect cuts for the fuzzor mod and ruined it so now mine are paper weights :cry: I Saw DMS3 TV ruined his too, so I guess I can take consolation in that I'm not the only one... Now to shop for some full size cans that I like right out of the box I guess...

Damn, you're taking it better than I would. That would make me go sit in a corner and contemplate life for a few, lol.

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #6,177 of 8,051
I've only had the M1060's for about 5 days. So far I haven't had a hint of anything harsh in female vocals. One exception, Susan Tedeschi voice hurts my ears on any system! My only let down is the bass ain't what I was expecting. It does extend low, very low. I have felt the bass with these. I can't say I've felt the bass from any other cans. It just doesn't wow you with the impact I had read about others experiencing. So far I'm very pleased with mine. The best compliment I can give them, "They don't remind my that I listening through cans. Just natural open sound."

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #6,178 of 8,051
I've only had the M1060's for about 5 days. So far I haven't had a hint of anything harsh in female vocals. One exception, Susan Tedeschi voice hurts my ears on any system! My only let down is the bass ain't what I was expecting. It does extend low, very low. I have felt the bass with these. I can't say I've felt the bass from any other cans. It just doesn't wow you with the impact I had read about others experiencing. So far I'm very pleased with mine. The best compliment I can give them, "They don't remind my that I listening through cans. Just natural open sound."

I'm glad you don't have a problem with the harshness! :thumbsup:

The M1060's bass really doesn't really wow until you EQ them a bit (or use them on an amp or a system that has tone control). I have never heard a headphone that EQs as well as the M1060. After boosting the bass a bit it hits like a truck thanks to that large diaphragm.

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #6,179 of 8,051
I'm glad you don't have a problem with the harshness! :thumbsup:

The M1060's bass really doesn't really wow until you EQ them a bit (or use them on an amp or a system that has tone control). I have never heard a headphone that EQs as well as the M1060. After boosting the bass a bit it hits like a truck thanks to that large diaphragm.
Even though these EQ well especially in the bass department, it’s not close to the Meze 99 Classics. Never heard a HP EQ so well

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #6,180 of 8,051
Even though these EQ well especially in the bass department, it’s not close to the Meze 99 Classics. Never heard a HP EQ so well
Hmm... interesting. I have never heard the Meze 99 Classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back