Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Dec 6, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #6,196 of 8,051
Nice! How do you like it? It would be a nice addition to my Schiit stack, but I need justification first. :wink:

Justification...it can make the bass of an M1060 almost have as much presence as a modded TH-X00PH and also have improved impact (not TH-X00PH impact level though.)

My M1060 settings that I've settled on are 20Hz knob @ ~3:00, 400Hz @ ~11:00, 2kHz @ ~12:30, and 8kHz @ ~12:30.

The Loki is working very well with my SHP9500, M1060, and HD700. Don't even bother with my TH-X00PH...it's hardly any improvement on it.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #6,197 of 8,051
About modding - if you are modding, you should really have multiple cans of what you are modding, one that you don't touch and stays stock for a control and the others you mod and compare against the stock. That's why I have both stock and modded SHP9500 and TH-X00PH. Waiting on getting a second M1060 before I experiment with some internal ideas I have for it, need a proper reference point. I did change to the LCD2 microsuede pads and Paper Towel mod after I put plenty of runtime on it stock to get use to it, and I did the changes one at a time. Paper towel first then pads. I quite like how the paper towel mod with stock pads improved the stock sound some. The LCD2 microsuede pads did suck out some bass, but I didn't mind it due to clearing up the sound some and bringing out a little more detail and balance. Don't need a second control unit to do comfort/functional mods like a more open grille or better head strap mechanism. Never liked the stock grille.

I mod everything...even the Schiit Loki I just got in less than a week ago...Schiit LEDs are too dang bright! I like to experiment and change things - not a single one of my vehicles, firearms, watches, and computers/tablets is stock. I even use the old OM Zuiko 35mm film prime lenses with adapter on my mirrorless OM-D E-M5 Mark II because I like shooting manually. And my sportscar was actually developed around the idea of the owner modded it as they see fit, toyota had aftermarket companies develop parts for it before it was even released... that's one of the reasons I bought it. I modded it on day 1 of ownership....I've even custom made parts for it.

If you don't mod the TH-X00PH, you are missing out on an awesome sounding headphone. Don't realize how much it improves until you compare modded and stock one back to back. Cannot go back to a stock TH-X00PH...

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #6,198 of 8,051
People used “ringing” as an excuse for various modifications, but I found that after 1-2 weeks of use on stock, the ringing really goes away, as your ears get used to it. In the case of the Vegan pads, it was more comfortable than the stock pads and the ringing got subdued -- but so did the bass. Clearly, the pads were nowhere near worth their price (which, with shipping included, ended up costing $100). Even in the case of alteration in any kinds of mods, we’re often talking about very small changes – that is, small enough for it to be irrelevant over time, as your ears can’t really segregate between an unmodded and modded unit, unless doing SBS comparisons. I had the exact same experience and feeling with the M1060’ in stock, as I did with them modded, over time.

"People used “ringing” as an excuse for various modifications, but I found that after 1-2 weeks of use on stock, the ringing really goes away, as your ears get used to it." (oh yeah ... here come da judge)

It wasn't "ringing" to me. It was distortion, and I don't know what it was caused by, but the 'fuzzor' mod and some Creatology inside the pads really did help. I think it tamed down some frequencies a tad, just enough to clear up the distortion. I found it happened mainly in the male vocals, but really only when there was lots of it, like 3-4 part harmony. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it :)

Ringing, distortion, resonance, whatever it was, it was intolerable for me, and didn't respond to EQ. I accepted the risk when I opened them up, made a stupid mistake, and would never blame Monoprice or any of the mods for the failure. If I didn't live in South Korea pretty much eliminating the option of an easy resale, I would have sold them shortly after I got them. I don't know if there is just a big variation in the sound and the issue isn't present in some, or it is my own sensitivity or ear canals, but I tried for months to adjust but they always sounded like I was listening through tin cans at just that frequency band. I thought this before even reading about the issue, and only found out when I looked into mods to fix it. BTW to those saying the mods have gone too far, NOBODY has suggested taking them apart like I did. I like tinkering and yeah, sometimes I break stuff. I wasted $360 with shipping unless someone else breaks theirs and wants mine (or I find a pair with a broken driver for cheap), but I still don't regret it since I wasn't happy with them stock anyway. As I said they really do some things very, very well and are so close to great which is why they are worth modding. But the glaring flaw for me was just too much.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #6,199 of 8,051
About modding - if you are modding, you should really have multiple cans of what you are modding, one that you don't touch and stays stock for a control and the others you mod and compare against the stock. That's why I have both stock and modded SHP9500 and TH-X00PH. Waiting on getting a second M1060 before I experiment with some internal ideas I have for it, need a proper reference point. I did change to the LCD2 microsuede pads and Paper Towel mod after I put plenty of runtime on it stock to get use to it, and I did the changes one at a time. Paper towel first then pads. I quite like how the paper towel mod with stock pads improved the stock sound some. The LCD2 microsuede pads did suck out some bass, but I didn't mind it due to clearing up the sound some and bringing out a little more detail and balance. Don't need a second control unit to do comfort/functional mods like a more open grille or better head strap mechanism. Never liked the stock grille.

I mod everything...even the Schiit Loki I just got in less than a week ago...Schiit LEDs are too dang bright! I like to experiment and change things - not a single one of my vehicles, firearms, watches, and computers/tablets is stock. I even use the old OM Zuiko 35mm film prime lenses with adapter on my mirrorless OM-D E-M5 Mark II because I like shooting manually. And my sportscar was actually developed around the idea of the owner modded it as they see fit, toyota had aftermarket companies develop parts for it before it was even released... that's one of the reasons I bought it. I modded it on day 1 of ownership....I've even custom made parts for it.

If you don't mod the TH-X00PH, you are missing out on an awesome sounding headphone. Don't realize how much it improves until you compare modded and stock one back to back. Cannot go back to a stock TH-X00PH...

Aha! I didn't realize you also had a stock Purpleheart pair. Kudos for that, man........all I know is that my ears told me the Lawton kit and pad swap were changes for the good; but you can actually compare apples to better apples :)

I did order the Audeze pads before I had my M1060 in hand.......however, I listened to them stock for a couple weeks before making the change (combination experimentation and procrastination :p). At least for me, it changed for the better with the new pads. I don't regret it.

My M1060 are modded with the Audeze pads, paper towel mod, and XLR cable. I prefer my modded PH's by a fair margin, so the M1060 are relegated to just sitting on the stand. Can't really bring myself to sell them, and I don't know why o.0

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #6,200 of 8,051
Sorry a bit off topic but, I'm going to buy either the m1060 or the Hifiman 4XX and I don't know which is better.
Half the people I have asked said m1060 while the other half said 4XX.
If y'all could help me with that, that would be great.
Thanks

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #6,201 of 8,051
Sorry a bit off topic but, I'm going to buy either the m1060 or the Hifiman 4XX and I don't know which is better.
Thanks
Just in terms of sound, I prefer the m1060. I've only listened to the 4XX for about 20 minutes as it was not mine but rather my friend's and I've also owned the 400i in the past. Comfort and build I prefer the 4xx. That said, the reason why you're getting so many different opinions is because people give their opinions based on different things. Would be nice to know what you've had/tried and your likes and dislikes as well as the genre of music you prefer to listen to which could help with better recommending one or the other. I personally prefer more of a neutral sound with a hint of brightness and my preferred genre of music is classic Jazz and orchestral.

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #6,202 of 8,051
Thanks

I own both. I didn't like either stock I put Vegans and paper towel on my M1060 and I put focus pads, shelf liner, and TP on my HE4XX. As much as I like the M1060 I personally feel that the HE4XX is a better deal at half the price for very high quality planar sound. The HE4XX is brighter with less bass. If you are sensitive to treble/sibilance probably stay away from the HE4XX. If you love bass, the M1060 is probably a better bet. Both are good headphones, however. They use the same cable, which is nice so if you buy a nice cable for the one and decide to get the other instead you can keep the cable. The M1060 is returnable but the HE4XX is not. The M1060 also has a better warranty. It's a tough choice for sure.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #6,203 of 8,051
Just in terms of sound, I prefer the m1060. I've only listened to the 4XX for about 20 minutes as it was not mine but rather my friend's and I've also owned the 400i in the past. Comfort and build I prefer the 4xx. That said, the reason why you're getting so many different opinions is because people give their opinions based on different things. Would be nice to know what you've had/tried and your likes and dislikes as well as the genre of music you prefer to listen to which could help with better recommending one or the other. I personally prefer more of a neutral sound with a hint of brightness and my preferred genre of music is classic Jazz and orchestral.
The music I like is kind of "in your face" not hip hop, but more like heavy metal, classic rock, deep house, Adam Jensen, The Black Keys, Cage the elephant, etc.

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #6,204 of 8,051
It's impossible to tell which headphone you're going to prefer, because tastes are so subjective.

That said, I have heard people say that m1060 excels in electronic music but not so much for rock/metal. I have no idea what people say about hifiman performing on rock/metal.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #6,205 of 8,051
It's impossible to tell which headphone you're going to prefer, because tastes are so subjective.

That said, I have heard people say that m1060 excels in electronic music but not so much for rock/metal. I have no idea what people say about hifiman performing on rock/metal.
I found the stock M1060's to be awful for Rock/Metal. The best way I could describe it would be a barrage of harsh mids that quickly gave me a headache.

I added the following track to my soundtest playlist because it sounded flat out awful on the M1060's, yet I'd previously enjoyed it on my DT770's, HE-400S, etc. I don't have 400i's, but I did A/B them against the 560's and this track sounded fine on both. If your M1060's are anything like mine were, it will sound awful immediately, there's no need to wait for vocals or slower passages.

So, I can't speak to modded M1060's, but to me they were unusable for one of my main genre's of music that I didn't want to risk my warranty on the chance that modding them wouldn't resolve the problem.

Dec 8, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #6,206 of 8,051
I found the stock M1060's to be awful for Rock/Metal. The best way I could describe it would be a barrage of harsh mids that quickly gave me a headache.

I added the following track to my soundtest playlist because it sounded flat out awful on the M1060's, yet I'd previously enjoyed it on my DT770's, HE-400S, etc. I don't have 400i's, but I did A/B them against the 560's and this track sounded fine on both. If your M1060's are anything like mine were, it will sound awful immediately, there's no need to wait for vocals or slower passages.

So, I can't speak to modded M1060's, but to me they were unusable for one of my main genre's of music that I didn't want to risk my warranty on the chance that modding them wouldn't resolve the problem.

Thanks thats good to know. I guess I will be getting the 4XX then.

Dec 8, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #6,207 of 8,051

Take it all with a grain of salt... I personally love the stock M1060. I listen to Grateful Dead soundboards and other assorted music, everything from Van Morrison to G Love and the Special Sauce. It is all about your preference. Keep in mind the M1060 has a 30 day money back k guarantee. So if you don't like them then no harm done.

Dec 8, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #6,208 of 8,051
Don't let my uneducated opinion be the deciding factor here :)

Others seem to like the M1060's, but for some genres, I most definitely didn't. Worth noting is that if you have big ears like me, you'll need custom pads on any Hifiman cans as the Focus pads are unbearably uncomfortable for me.

Dec 8, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #6,209 of 8,051
Take it all with a grain of salt... I personally love the stock M1060. I listen to Grateful Dead soundboards and other assorted music, everything from Van Morrison to G Love and the Special Sauce. It is all about your preference. Keep in mind the M1060 has a 30 day money back k guarantee. So if you don't like them then no harm done.
Pretty much this. I sent mine back, so it basically cost me ~$80CAD in postage for a 2 week trial run of the M1060's. Dealing with Monoprice was smooth and painless. I may not have personally liked the M1060, but I was more than happy dealing with the company and will be on the lookout for any future products.

Dec 8, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #6,210 of 8,051
Pretty much this. I sent mine back, so it basically cost me ~$80CAD in postage for a 2 week trial run of the M1060's. Dealing with Monoprice was smooth and painless. I may not have personally liked the M1060, but I was more than happy dealing with the company and will be on the lookout for any future products.
I thought monoprice has "free" returns you paid over 60 usd to send them back??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back