Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #6,226 of 8,051
I don't know what to say... I'm more confused then when I came here.
Some of y'all here say "it sounds great for rock." while some of you say "it sounds awful for rock." I just don't know.

Depends what kind of rock. My only grievances, albeit very small, are with hard rock, garage rock and metal. All other rock genres it does very fine. Regarding the ones that I it doesn’t do as well in:
It certainly brings an extra level of sharpness and detail to the songs. But the lack of mid-bass as well can make them sound distorted and not as impactful as you'd want or are maybe accustomed with. If it bothers you, it's easily alleviated by some EQing, which I’m sure someone in here can help you with.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #6,227 of 8,051
What? Not impactful? I thought it was very impactful out of the Mojo, and would be considered a bit too much? Mojo did drive to be very impactful, but CMA600i refined the sound of it(like better dynamic range, like in HDR for movies), but didn't lack impactfulness. It pushes bass pretty ample amount as well, but with a bit of a punch or forwardness.

Another highlight of the M1060 is the mids, it's not buried or incoherent like a lot of headphones out there.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #6,228 of 8,051
I may have worded it wrong. What you're referring to is sub-bass, and in that area the M1060 most definitely is amazing (one of its greatest traits, and why it works so remarkibly well for electropop, dance, downtempo, etc.) But hard rock and metal rely on a lot of mid-bass for a good listening experience, at least in my opinion. And in that regard the M1060's aren't the best. They aren't bad by any means, but not as good as many other headphones I have tried in those specific genres.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #6,229 of 8,051
What I'm interested in, is if someone/somehow put the m1060's drivers inside of a pre fazor LCD-3 housing, since I heard that the m1060's drivers are reverse engineered early model LCD-3 drivers, not sure how that would be done, because they just might break... Plus no one wants to ruin their LCD-3's...

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #6,230 of 8,051
I may have worded it wrong. What you're referring to is sub-bass, and in that area the M1060 most definitely is amazing (one of its greatest traits, and why it works so remarkibly well for electropop, dance, downtempo, etc.) But hard rock and metal rely on a lot of mid-bass for a good listening experience, at least in my opinion. And in that regard the M1060's aren't the best. They aren't bad by any means, but not as good as many other headphones I have tried in those specific genres.
You mean drums from the rock music. For me It was quite impactful for drum hits as well. I think the drum impact in the sound is very important to enjoy rock. I didn't know distortion of a guitar could sound so interesting either, but the way U2 tweaks their distortion guitar partially helps in it's sound(if that fits the preference in guitar distortion sound), same for a lot of bands, but perhaps for hard metal with high quantity of distortion wasn't your sound. There is some differences in how distortion of a guitar is done with various bands.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #6,231 of 8,051
I did the a/b of the 4xx and 1060 on the baby metal track and my modded 1060 sounded great(fazor mod). The 4xx has a thicker midrange and punchier bass but not near the depth of bass the 1060 can do. I prefer the 1060 because it is very separated in it's sounds but that also leaves it a bit leaner sounding in comparison to the 4xx. The 1060 has been my main cans for a year though and that may influence my preference to them. If I bought the 4xx and didn't have the 1060 I would definitely love them and not be disappointed but since I already had them I like the 1060 better. I listen to a wide variety of music and have other options but I have the 1060 sounding like I want them to be. I actually like the 6xx better than the 4xx but still prefer the 1060.I hope that helps a little.

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #6,232 of 8,051
I would also add that the 4xx are very hard to drive so plan on using a decent amp. The 1060 is easy to drive even from an ipad but benefits from a better amp so either way plan on using a good amp but the 1060 can get by with less.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #6,233 of 8,051
I don't know what to say... I'm more confused then when I came here.
Some of y'all here say "it sounds great for rock." while some of you say "it sounds awful for rock." I just don't know.

If you listen to everyone's opinion here you'll get confused for sure !! Use your own ears and make up your own mind ...

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #6,235 of 8,051
I would also add that the 4xx are very hard to drive so plan on using a decent amp. The 1060 is easy to drive even from an ipad but benefits from a better amp so either way plan on using a good amp but the 1060 can get by with less.[/QUOTEWe
I would also add that the 4xx are very hard to drive so plan on using a decent amp. The 1060 is easy to drive even from an ipad but benefits from a better amp so either way plan on using a good amp but the 1060 can get by with less.
Whatever headphone I get I will be using the micca G2, so I hope that will power the 4xx or m1060s well.

Dec 9, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #6,236 of 8,051

I have a similar impression about the efficiency of HE4XX, on my amp, I have to turn the volume knob to a much higher position for HE4xx than 1060

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #6,237 of 8,051
What are those plates sandwiching the wood ring of 1060? Steel or aluminum? Does 1060 have to use them? Can those metal plates be replaced with something lighter?

I am liking 1060 for now, just a little too heavy.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #6,238 of 8,051
I did the a/b of the 4xx and 1060 on the baby metal track and my modded 1060 sounded great(fazor mod). The 4xx has a thicker midrange and punchier bass but not near the depth of bass the 1060 can do. I prefer the 1060 because it is very separated in it's sounds but that also leaves it a bit leaner sounding in comparison to the 4xx. The 1060 has been my main cans for a year though and that may influence my preference to them. If I bought the 4xx and didn't have the 1060 I would definitely love them and not be disappointed but since I already had them I like the 1060 better. I listen to a wide variety of music and have other options but I have the 1060 sounding like I want them to be. I actually like the 6xx better than the 4xx but still prefer the 1060.I hope that helps a little.
I guess the 1060 doesn't really hit hard as certain headphones(if you increase the volume on the mojo, it did hit hard to my ears, perceptively quite punchy do to output sig from it, certain frequencies are over emphasized notably the upper bass and lower treble), but I agree with your assement as bass is indeed plentiful(creating an ambiance sound, compared to a headphone that is a bit narrow in spacial ability). Also agree that separation of the sound output is a big draw, and that is the particular reason why these Albums I've mentioned earlier sounds different, more interesting and articulate with dimentionality in the sound in the cups. This is the biggest draw for me when it comes to full-back headphone experience(only if the mids are clear and articulate without bass bleed or recess). When I switched over to my iems, they sounded a bit flat in depth in comparison. I would highly recommend trying out various sources up to higher end to experience how far the headphone can go as it certainly does, and was taken by surprise in difference in refinement. Initially, I thought what was coming out of my Mojo was what I should be expecting in general, but with particular rock albums and the Questyle, it turned into more of a interesting headphone to listen to. My favorite headphones have been planars, and really love their fast response, and clarity that can be achieved(and generally sounds good out of many genres compared dynamic headphones). My natural prgression is the STAX 007 or the 9, but will see when I end up with the electrostat!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #6,239 of 8,051
I will also point out that one of differences of good full-back to iems is generally is the upper ranges seperation as iems generally cannot sound as separated in depth in the upper ranges from what I experience.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #6,240 of 8,051
Quick question. Would the iFi idsd Nano Black Label have enough juice to drive the m1060?

I'm wanting to make sure that I've got enough power to make them sing, but would prefer something portable and don't have much dough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back