Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Oct 11, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #5,851 of 8,051
only 22mm deep, which is pretty shallow compared to the stock pads
True but the stock pads are SUPER deep, IMO unnecessarily so. It creates a sort of disconnect with the sound and allows too many reflections to happen before the sound reaches your ears.

I guess these brainwavz pads are deeper than the Dekoni ones. I just suggested the Dekoni pads as they are all very high quality.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07238XHCX?aaxitk=ekIl.4AeP1HG.hxhMdAYpQ&th=1

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #5,852 of 8,051
True but the stock pads are SUPER deep, IMO unnecessarily so. It creates a sort of disconnect with the sound and allows too many reflections to happen before the sound reaches your ears.

I guess these brainwavz pads are deeper than the Dekoni ones. I just suggested the Dekoni pads as they are all very high quality.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07238XHCX?aaxitk=ekIl.4AeP1HG.hxhMdAYpQ&th=1

they actually have a XL version, 110mm but only PU and sheepskin
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...s/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-xl-pu-leather

I have this on the way to tryout, only angled 110mm pads i could find, I personally prefer angled pads
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/110...32826637169.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.YMAsHF

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #5,854 of 8,051
I wonder why everybody just went the Audeze path, that also includes the 1:1 Fazor copy. Me and the other vintage ortho geeks used relatively inexpensive pads (Beyer, AKG, AT etc.) in combination with felt or medical tapes to tune our big old T50v1 clones and others to our liking. Pad rolling in combination with damping alterations is a very mighty way to get orthos sound right.

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #5,855 of 8,051
It, the Audeze path, may have come from the fact that there was a bunch of people initially saying that these were a sort of LCD-2 clone. I think the Audeze vegan pads were discovered (but we would need to ask @cskippy ) that they happen to fit OK and accomplish the function of reducing inner pad reflections.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #5,856 of 8,051
It, the Audeze path, may have come from the fact that there was a bunch of people initially saying that these were a sort of LCD-2 clone. I think the Audeze vegan pads were discovered (but we would need to ask @cskippy ) that they happen to fit OK and accomplish the function of reducing inner pad reflections.
Vegans are just slightly larger than the headphone body, but otherwise fit will and do help to reduce the inner reflections to some degree.

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #5,857 of 8,051
So the fuzzor doesn't stop the ringing then, It's strictly the pads reducing it? What is the effect of the fuzzor mod? I'm sorry to be asking what are dumb questions but this thread is absolutely massive and I'm just trying to get the most up to date information. I understand changing the rear grills out(or removing them) positively affects the sound as well.
I'll probably just order the audeze leathers if it's worth it.
Thanks for the responses

I have done the fuzzor mod and it did seem to help with the ringing, and there were measurements from others showing that it did. I don't know why no one responded to you, but it seems most people in this thread are more interested in the fazor mod right now. I believe there are benefits to both approaches depending on the sound that you are after.

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #5,858 of 8,051
Using the Audeze Vegan pads was an easy decision. My experience with other headphones showed they helped reduce the ortho wall of planars and they were also closest in dimensions to the stock pads. People had mentioned that Monoprice used either an LCD2 or 3 to copy for the design and sound of the M1060. I tried the pads and they ended up being the best pad of all the pads in my possession for my personal tastes.

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #5,859 of 8,051
I received my 3D pieces from @SomeTechNoob on Monday and I went back and forth between pad side fuzzor and fazor but I can’t tell a difference. Maybe I am just less sensitive to treble, never noticed any 5k ringing on stock, and probably heard a placebo effect on my first fuzzor mod attempt due to spending a good amount of time doing it

Curious what others that received their fazor gotta say

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #5,860 of 8,051
The fazors, for me at least, did cure the 5k spike. I was somewhat satisfied with the fuzzor mod cutting down on that spike but I felt like it was about halfway there.

Replacing the stock grill also cleaned up the overall sound quite a bit as well. I'm under the belief that it causes some reflections within the cups causing distortions and a closed off soundstage, which for some people enjoy more for an intimate sound.

I don't think my hearing is exceptional in any way and most headphones don't offend me normally but that 5k spike really stood out to me to the point of being uncomfortable. The thing that really bothers me is excessive sibilance. It's the equivalent to nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

My guess is that for there to be so many people which different experiences, I'm guessing there has to be some significant driver variances between headphones.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #5,862 of 8,051
What's the consensus on using the stock backing foam, some other material or none at all???

I'm planning on printing up VRacer's grills once I get my 3D Printer setup.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #5,864 of 8,051
i would keep something between the driver and element, once you get stuff on it, especially metallic, good luck getting them off

I don't think that's that big of a deal. A lot of people who mod HE-6's (including myself), have nothing between the grill and the transducer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back