Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Oct 10, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #5,837 of 8,051
I mentioned my concerns about the roughness to PockyG. I am considering doing a bit of sanding on my set to smooth things out a bit. The problem with hand sanding is that it will be difficult to maintain uniformity. The ones on the Audeze headphones are quite smooth.
I am sure the roughness will have some effect. I just have no idea whether it will be enough to hear any difference. Obviously, with only one set of headphones, doing any meaningful (A/B) testing to find out will be impossible.

I have printed all of my fazors that should directly affect sound at 0.1mm layer heights, which is generally excellent for a desktop 3D printer system. Of course nowhere near good enough to qualm questions about roughness, but it should be easier to sand if the need arises.

If I can get ABS plastic worked out, there may be a small possibility that I can smooth them out with some acetone vapor. ABS has always been a pain to print on my machine though so we'll have to see.

Here's an example I've pulled from google. Not fazors obviously but my point still stands:

JWE_0435.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #5,838 of 8,051
Not to dissuade you from getting the M1060 but I might also look at the Hifiman HE560 and new Acoustic Research AR-H1. They are more expensive than the M1060 but you don't necessarily have to mod to get the most out of them plus comfort is better. I think you can get the HE560 for $500 or less new and the AR-H1 is $600. If your budget is $300 then by all means go for the M1060 or maybe HE-400i depending on taste.
I'm on a budget, and things I don't mod haven't been invented yet ^^

How does the 1060 perform with electronica, such as ambient or Drum & Bass?

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #5,839 of 8,051
I think that's one area it excels in. Sub bass is excellent and mid bass is not exaggerated but might be leaner compared to some other headphones. Some people find the 5kHz area to be too forward and can get fatiguing but pad changes can do wonders here. I've recommended the Audeze Vegan pads but those seem to be impossible to get now.

I think these might actually be a good alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/Dekoni-Audio...7682425&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=dekoni+velour

Use double sided tape or an adhesive runner if they don't stick with the stock adhesive.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #5,840 of 8,051
Damn, was 5 or more years away from headfi, and now this. Have a severe ortho bite for years though, only the vintage ones till now, love my RP18s. Gotta get some cash for the M1060...

Not to dissuade you from getting the M1060 but I might also look at the Hifiman HE560 and new Acoustic Research AR-H1. They are more expensive than the M1060 but you don't necessarily have to mod to get the most out of them plus comfort is better. I think you can get the HE560 for $500 or less new and the AR-H1 is $600. If your budget is $300 then by all means go for the M1060 or maybe HE-400i depending on taste.

Stock M1060 is pretty hit or miss for people. And with the difficulty of getting hold of vegan pads for a reasonable price if at all, I am having a harder and harder time recommending these unless you find a sweet deal on them. Sadly, I'm going to be selling my M1060 soon. I love them a lot, but since getting my Atticus I just can't go back to M1060.

I have to agree with @cskippy that there's been quite a few interesting alternatives that have popped up lately. I just saw a used HE-560 go for $275 a few days ago. Used HE-500's are in the $300-350 range. Used DT1990s (not planar, but similar sound signature) are in the $400 range. Used LCD-2s are in the $500-600 range. And Audeze just announced the new LCD-2C, a remake of pre-fazor LCD-2 with a lightweight headband going for $600. I haven't heard the AR-H1 but I know it came out of nowhere and is getting some hype in the planar market. Depending on your budget, there are a lot of really nice options available right now.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #5,841 of 8,051
Thanks for the advice, reminds me of the times when I was the advisor, lol. I will be definetely looking for that 2nd hand HE560 option you've mentioned.

Reading (and viewing) all the M1060 reviews, I can't help thinking of severe batch-to-batch variations. I have been on a dozen meets in my time, comparing identical HPs side by side. The differences were frightening, even with mass production HPs like, say, the AKG K701. So the question is again, have you got a "good one" or not. A good M1060, slightly modded, seems to be an incredible value, but the not so good ones...

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #5,842 of 8,051
Thanks for the advice, reminds me of the times when I was the advisor, lol. I will be definetely looking for that 2nd hand HE560 option you've mentioned.

Reading (and viewing) all the M1060 reviews, I can't help thinking of severe batch-to-batch variations. I have been on a dozen meets in my time, comparing identical HPs side by side. The differences were frightening, even with mass production HPs like, say, the AKG K701. So the question is again, have you got a "good one" or not. A good M1060, slightly modded, seems to be an incredible value, but the not so good ones...

Mine are stock, i never really noticed the 5k ringing until a couple of weeks ago, i usually press the back side of the pads to my head so the pads area relatively flat against my ears thus the 5k ringing was not noticeable for me but when i was moving them around to the original position (the i,e not squishing the pads making the hadphones angled to my ears) i noticed the ringing, it was unberable to me,of course YMMV but i don't think it's completely necessary to get vegan pads, a little bit of EQ and flat pads could fix the little issues this headphones have.

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #5,844 of 8,051
Ok, thanks to pocky G I've had a few days to listen to the fazor mod on my 1060's. They do indeed cut the reflections and clean up the soundstage a bit making it more natural . They also clean up that upper end a bit of which I rarely got the ringing anyway so that wasn't a big issue to me. It turns out I like the way they are stock. The bit of reverb that the mod takes out as I said makes the soundstage a bit more natural but I liked the around your head intimate soundstage they had. I believe the reverb gives a sense of wider separation of instrumentation, like you could walk between the instruments but it's still not what you would call a wide soundstage. So with the fazor there are less reflections a bit wider more natural soundstage but I feel not as fun maybe too clean for my taste. Just a few thoughts from my viewpoint, I went back to stock pads without the backing because I had glued them to the pad adapter during the mod unintentionally so I will have to get new more sheer in there to protect the drivers, pocky g grills and impact audio balanced cable. I have them where I want them so standing pat for now and waiting for 6xx and 4xx to come in.

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #5,845 of 8,051
I just got my m1060 and m565 in today. I'm still very impressed with the m565's design, it's gorgeous. It doesn't sound bad either but I can't say much about it, I have not put in enough time. The m1060 is on my head right now and it's awesome except for the problem at 5khz. When I read 5khz ringing this is not what I was expecting. I played this one song called How Can I by Mark Sherry and Clare Stagg and at a few points I think her voice hits 5khz or something else does and it's just this quick horrible noise that really throws everything off. So the fuzzor mods helps with this, right?
I also understand that vegans are no more, so is there another pad I can order or do I keep the stocks on?
IMG_20171011_153343_DRO.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #5,846 of 8,051
I just got my m1060 and m565 in today. I'm still very impressed with the m565's design, it's gorgeous. It doesn't sound bad either but I can't say much about it, I have not put in enough time. The m1060 is on my head right now and it's awesome except for the problem at 5khz. When I read 5khz ringing this is not what I was expecting. I played this one song called How Can I by Mark Sherry and Clare Stagg and at a few points I think he voice hits 5khz or something else does and it's just this quick horrible noise that really throws everything off. So the fuzzor mods helps with this, right?
I also understand that vegans are no more, so is there another pad I can order or do I keep the stocks on?
IMG_20171011_153343_DRO.jpg
Audeze leather pads have also been discussed here, and may be just as good with the M1060 as the vegan pads.. I haven't tried either.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #5,847 of 8,051
Oct 11, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #5,849 of 8,051
So the fuzzor doesn't stop the ringing then, It's strictly the pads reducing it? What is the effect of the fuzzor mod? I'm sorry to be asking what are dumb questions but this thread is absolutely massive and I'm just trying to get the most up to date information. I understand changing the rear grills out(or removing them) positively affects the sound as well.
I'll probably just order the audeze leathers if it's worth it.
Thanks for the responses

Users who are viewing this thread

Back