Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #4,066 of 8,051
Sigh. I took my gen 2 m1060s out of the box and started listening to them. I have listened to them for 100s of hours now. They sound great. In my opinion they are comfortable as is. I have not disassembled them so I do not know if they are stained where I can't see. I have no interest in paper towels or different earpads. These seem fine as is.
Reading this thread I feel I am alone in thinking these things. Perhaps there is a forum somewhere where people don't buy jeans and replace all the fabric before they like them.

I personally switched to the Vegan pads because I'm not a huge fan of leather pads. Really the only exception in my collection is the TH-X00 Ebony. I swapped to Dekoni premium Lambskin pads because the ear opening is much larger and it keeps the majority of the bass. I did try HM5 pads on the TH-X00, and it killed the bass.

The sound improvement with the vegan pads on the M1060 is very real and worth every penny. Comfort increases dramatically. I also use 3" black party napkins, but a thinner layer as the full napkin cutout messed with the sound too much. Thinning the napkin by using half of it, improved the sound, close to a paper towel improvement.

My personal opinion is stock is pretty good. Vegans and paper towel mod bring it up a few levels. It isn't mandatory, but might surprise you with the Sonic changes.

May 23, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #4,067 of 8,051
Hi all,
Has anyone ever tried removing the drivers from the wood enclosings? Is it easy to do so? I found Audeze styled headband from China which seemed better constructed and more comfortable than stock, suitable for 100-110mm drivers which m1060 qualifies. I have a medium-large head and maxing out the headband clicks, not exactly uncomfortable but wish there is a click or two more for me! the thin flimsy head rest doesn't help.

To change the head band one needs to open the screws from the inside which one only able to do so after removing the drivers................... *Cry*

Thanks for your inputs!
Hamster

T1_YXCFw0aXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_320x320q50s150.jpg_.webp

http://c.b1wt.com/h.hSae1E?cv=aDOaZF37dEC&sm=76ada6

As nice as that headband looks, I don't think it will fit the M1060. These are designed to fit Hifiman HE-400/500/5/6 and I'm pretty sure the Hifiman cups are smaller than the M1060. I will measure my HE-400 and M1060 when I get home to be sure though.

May 23, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #4,068 of 8,051
I personally switched to the Vegan pads because I'm not a huge fan of leather pads. Really the only exception in my collection is the TH-X00 Ebony. I swapped to Dekoni premium Lambskin pads because the ear opening is much larger and it keeps the majority of the bass. I did try HM5 pads on the TH-X00, and it killed the bass.

The sound improvement with the vegan pads on the M1060 is very real and worth every penny. Comfort increases dramatically. I also use 3" black party napkins, but a thinner layer as the full napkin cutout messed with the sound too much. Thinning the napkin by using half of it, improved the sound, close to a paper towel improvement.

My personal opinion is stock is pretty good. Vegans and paper towel mod bring it up a few levels. It isn't mandatory, but might surprise you with the Sonic changes.

Yeah, the vegan pads upgrade for me was a 100% comfort driven (I HATE pleather touching me skin) and 100% worth the investment. I still would have gotten the vegan pads even if they didn't improve the sound or even made it slightly worse. The sonic improvements were merely a wonderful bonus for me. :)

May 23, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #4,069 of 8,051
As nice as that headband looks, I don't think it will fit the M1060. These are designed to fit Hifiman HE-400/500/5/6 and I'm pretty sure the Hifiman cups are smaller than the M1060. I will measure my HE-400 and M1060 when I get home to be sure though.

Thanks in advance. In the spec sheet they mentioned suitable for driver size 100-110mm and m1060 sits right at 110mm driver diameter.

Fcuk, I pulled the trigger. It is just 90rmb anyway, which comes to probably 18-20usd shipped. They probably are exploiting some god forsaken child labor to get it made at this price.

Ain't they gorgeous?

Hamster

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #4,070 of 8,051
Thanks in advance. In the spec sheet they mentioned suitable for driver size 100-110mm and m1060 sits right at 110mm driver diameter.

Fcuk, I pulled the trigger. It is just 90rmb anyway, which comes to probably 18-20usd shipped.

Ain't they gorgeous?

Hamster

It's good looking for sure! Let us know how it works. :)

May 23, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #4,071 of 8,051
It's good looking for sure! Let us know how it works. :)
Problem is, I have zero idea how to remove / loosen the drivers so I can have access to remove the stock headband screws.

See how recessed and inaccessible they are unless drivers are out of the way:
(Pic credit Ostewart Page223)
9717293.jpg

Hamster

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #4,074 of 8,051
5min Android rendering:

Hamster

Take the front pads off, the driver comes out the front.

Remove the 4 screws that are closest to the wooded edges:

9845177.jpg

May 23, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #4,076 of 8,051
Sigh. I took my gen 2 m1060s out of the box and started listening to them. I have listened to them for 100s of hours now. They sound great. In my opinion they are comfortable as is. I have not disassembled them so I do not know if they are stained where I can't see. I have no interest in paper towels or different earpads. These seem fine as is.
Reading this thread I feel I am alone in thinking these things. Perhaps there is a forum somewhere where people don't buy jeans and replace all the fabric before they like them.

The ONLY reason I did the mods, was because of that harshness in the vocals, referred to as the "upper mids" I believe. . Other than that, I liked them better in stock form. But ... the harshness was a showstopper for me.

May 23, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #4,079 of 8,051
Where are you guys finding the vegan replacement pads? Everywhere I've looked is sold out or back ordered indefinitely.

We're not, we are waiting on the back orders to be fulfilled. B&H expects to receive a shipment around the end of the month, the 25th I was told.

One guy bought some brown one from some site, "sound-something" (I do not remember the name), for $80, but when I checked they wanted $100. So I'll wait for B&H to ship my the black ones at the $65 I paid for them. For some reason the browns are more expensive, but $100 is a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #4,080 of 8,051

Fcuk, I pulled the trigger. It is just 90rmb anyway, which comes to probably 18-20usd shipped. They probably are exploiting some god forsaken child labor to get it made at this price.

Ain't they gorgeous?

Hamster

I just measured my HE-400 cups and they are pretty much 100mm and my M1060 is about 115mm so it looks like it will work but you may have to bend the yolks a bit to get it around the cup.

I'm tempted to order one now and see if it works. I guess I could always use them on my HE-400...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back