Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 22, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #4,051 of 8,051
May 22, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #4,052 of 8,051
http://a.co/bh1uD0w

Gotor Black Silver onion plated Audio Extension Cable Upgrade Cable For Denon AH-D600 AH-D7100 Headphones (1.2m)

If I try and make my own cable, what type of cable would I need? Guessing something like this? http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/

Well, after @LCMusicLover mentioned that the D600 uses 3.5mm mono connectors and the M1060 uses 2.5mm mono connectors, cables that use a Oppo PM-1 or PM-2 connector set, which is also 2.5mm mono, will actually work and not the D600 connector set.

May 22, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #4,053 of 8,051
I want to give a shout out to Lindsay of Impact Audio Cables. I got a fantastic balanced headphone cable for the M1060. Same as the one below:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/524882659/custom-infinity-series-monolith-m1060?ref=shop_home_feat_1
il_fullxfull.1180817248_l6bz.jpg

May 23, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #4,055 of 8,051
May 23, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #4,056 of 8,051
Had my M1060s for a few weeks now, thought I'd add some impressions (though they're similar to what others have already been mentioned).

Right out of the box these things have flaws, but are still impressive. Sound signature reminds me a little bit of the ATH-M50x, except more revealing mids with less clarity at high and low ends.

The insides of the wood rings were not finished (version 2) and looked very dry. Where I could reach with a brush, I hit them with block oil. They even appeared to absorb some oil through some areas on the finished sides.

1/4 to 1/8 adapter is junk; move it straight from the box into a recycling bin. Monoprice usually excels at stuff like this, surprised they dropped the ball here.

Headband is uncomfortable after about a half hour. Someone on here mentioned Diono Soft Wraps: They don't look great, but they're cheap and they make the band more comfortable.

When doing A/B comparisons with an EQ'd HD800 (Kameleon): the M1060 treble seems "fuzzier." Bass is engaging, but flabby. M1060 is much more skewed toward low frequencies. M1060 has smaller sound stage, but that's an unfair battle.

A/B comparisons with an EQ'd HE-400i: M1060 bass is much more fun, but HE-400i seems more accurate and more clear. M1060 had better sound stage. All my 400i cables worked fine with the M1060.

3" paper towel mod seemed to remove most of the treble fuzziness. Grill reflections? Highly recommended mod.

Been on a BO list for vegan pads, but ordered Brainwavz Hybrid Angled Memory Foam Earpad - Black PU/Velour for testing. Fit looks ridiculous (wrong shape and too small), but sound improved. Seems better balanced. Signature is still bass skewed, but less emphasized and less flabby allowing treble to blend better. Pads are comfortable for long listening.

I tend to prefer relatively neutral headphones. After modifications, these are about as “dark” as I care for. I'm guessing the folks who are saying these are bright are moving from something unusually bass heavy like Beats.

I plan on keeping these headphones, especially after the mods. Hopefully my BO will process so I can try the vegans. While the HD800s do most things better, these things punch above their weight. I leave the HD800s hanging if I want a little extra bass slam.

May 23, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #4,058 of 8,051
Hi all,
Has anyone ever tried removing the drivers from the wooden enclosings? Is it easy to do so? I found Audeze styled headband from China which seemed better constructed and more comfortable than stock, suitable for 100-110mm drivers which m1060 qualifies. I have a medium-large head and maxing out the headband clicks, not exactly uncomfortable but wish there is a click or two more for me! the thin flimsy head rest doesn't help.

To change the head band one needs to open the screws from the inside which one only able to do so after removing the drivers................... *Cry*

Thanks for your inputs!
Hamster

T1_YXCFw0aXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_320x320q50s150.jpg_.webp

http://c.b1wt.com/h.hSae1E?cv=aDOaZF37dEC&sm=76ada6

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #4,059 of 8,051
Sigh. I took my gen 2 m1060s out of the box and started listening to them. I have listened to them for 100s of hours now. They sound great. In my opinion they are comfortable as is. I have not disassembled them so I do not know if they are stained where I can't see. I have no interest in paper towels or different earpads. These seem fine as is.
Reading this thread I feel I am alone in thinking these things. Perhaps there is a forum somewhere where people don't buy jeans and replace all the fabric before they like them.

May 23, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #4,060 of 8,051
Hello, I picked a pair of m1060's from Monoprice and did the cskippy mod but instead of using a paper towel I used some speaker cloth I had purchased here: https://www.parts-express.com/brand/mellotone/201 I did notice a difference in sound when I finished one side and played a few songs, I noticed it was not as bassy but still sounded good to me. I bought the burgundy / beige stripe and I think the headphones have a nice custom look to them now. This was a pricey mod as it did cost me $25 bucks and I only needed a small amount. Since I'm new I've got no clue how to post a picture to show what they look like now, but I still wanted to share this info as an option to all.

May 23, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #4,061 of 8,051
Sigh. I took my gen 2 m1060s out of the box and started listening to them. I have listened to them for 100s of hours now. They sound great. In my opinion they are comfortable as is. I have not disassembled them so I do not know if they are stained where I can't see. I have no interest in paper towels or different earpads. These seem fine as is.
Reading this thread I feel I am alone in thinking these things. Perhaps there is a forum somewhere where people don't buy jeans and replace all the fabric before they like them.

I agree, they sound very good and I find them comfortable as is. But I'm still going to try the Audeze pads once they finally arrive and do the paper towel mod, because why not? Don't see why that would annoy you.

It not like jeans, that silly.

It more like a car, and some people want to redo their seats in leather or give it a different paint job (just won't let Z or DMS3 choose the color) or bore the head to get more displacement. If they end up actually sounding better, great! I will enjoy them more. If not, I can easily go back to how it was. But at least I'll know for sure.

I can understand why someone would say, "eh, I'm happy as is. Not gonna bother". I can also understand someone saying, "hummm, think I'm gonna give that a try".

May 23, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #4,062 of 8,051
Oh I'm not annoyed. I wait until I am playing cards to do that.

May 23, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #4,063 of 8,051
I want to give a shout out to Lindsay of Impact Audio Cables. I got a fantastic balanced headphone cable for the M1060. Same as the one below:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/524882659/custom-infinity-series-monolith-m1060?ref=shop_home_feat_1

Mmmm hmm, I was pretty sure you'd like it! I've had mine for umm.....guessing 2 weeks now, and I love it :)

Lindsay does excellent work, and at reasonable prices. Whoever the first one was to mention him in this thread, my hat off to you, good Sir.

May 23, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #4,065 of 8,051
I lost this thread after the forum "upgrade" since I didn't subscribe to it, luckily I found it again now.

Did anyone compare these to the EL-8 Open yet, if so what's the differences/similarities?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back